GT at ND Post Game Discussion

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Usher is coming plus our JUCO project. Usher should help though I don't think he has a reputation as a shooter.

I worry that the team is simply going to mail in the rest of this year. That puts another huge hurdle in trying to get the 2020 class we have to have. CJP is going to have to do the best coaching job he ever did to keep these guys engaged and playing hard.

Sjolund - despite his propensity to try to make weird hero passes - did make a claim for more PT with his shooting. Something we desperately need. wouldn't surprise me to see him taking a lot of Haywood's PT going forward. Haywood needs a psychologist at this point.

Still curious what the deal with zero minutes for Cole was. Wright I can kind of understand but thought Cole was doing OK.

Deleted member 2897

So when is Pastner leaving and when are we cutting a bunch of these players?

Next year we will have 4 guys rated in the top 125 nationally. We don't lose very much from this season. In the next recruiting class, CJP needs to get 1 top 100 player minimum, and really needs 2 honestly. 20 wins is the reasonable goal for next year - something like 20-12 would be a good corner turner. But 2 years from now is the big year. If he's not pushing 22 wins in the 2020-2021 season, Stansbury will have some thinking to do. For any folks who don't like CJP, the odds are not in your favor. Stansbury wouldn't have fired Johnson, and he hasn't fired Hall. And in fact, despite continued mediocre results with highly ranked classes, he's basically said he thinks Hall is still a good coach so there isn't any level of performance that would get him fired. So if we're still sitting here at 18-20 wins in another few years, I wouldn't be surprised if Stansbury gives Pastner a couple year extension.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Devoe played probably his best game of the year. 18-7-6 with 2 TOs on good shooting. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Haywood still can't throw it in the ocean and Jose isn't much better. Both could use an easier game to help get some confidence but there are none left. We desperately need them to get over whatever mental blockades they got going on because we don't really have anyone else to go to. We need their offense.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I noticed both Haywood and Alvarado had tape around one of their wrists. I wonder if that is affecting them somehow on their shots.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There has to be a Tech alumni who can give some money towards the 5mm buy out.

I mean what is the alternative? Continue to hope?

How long have you followed GT hoops? Nobody was willing to cough up for the Hewitt or BG buyouts, but now someone is going to cough up $5MM for Pastner?

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Is it possible we could fire CJP with cause for the ongoing Ron Bell fiasco? It's damaging the image of the program and causing recruits to not want anything to do with us so I could see how it could be justifiable.

LibertyTurns

Banned
My understanding is that we don't have enough money to buy out Josh after this year nor next. For all I know, we're still paying Hewitt and Brian Gregory.

Very surprised to be honest. At the end of our NIT Finals run season, I never imagined I'd have more hope for our football program than our basketball program 2 short years later.
I’m really not sure how you reached that conclusion. A team that was at best #10 in the ACC was somehow going to end up better than a team that was no worse that 4th or 5th best, #1 or 2 in their half of the conference multiple years for a full decade except maybe for 1 or 2 years?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is it possible we could fire CJP with cause for the ongoing Ron Bell fiasco? It's damaging the image of the program and causing recruits to not want anything to do with us so I could see how it could be justifiable.

We'd need to see the actual contract to learn if that was possible. Also, given the investment in supporting Pastner post incident, is it implied that we essentially forego any rights to removing him for cause based on the Ron Bell situation?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I’m really not sure how you reached that conclusion. A team that was at best #10 in the ACC was somehow going to end up better than a team that was no worse that 4th or 5th best, #1 or 2 in their half of the conference multiple years for a full decade except maybe for 1 or 2 years?

Didn't feel that Paul Johnson in-game coaching or recruiting could accomplish my season goals. Liked our immediate future with Okogie, Alvarado, Lammers et all. Granted my season goals for basketball are probably easier than my goals for football.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
We'd need to see the actual contract to learn if that was possible. Also, given the investment in supporting Pastner post incident, is it implied that we essentially forego any rights to removing him for cause based on the Ron Bell situation?

Yeah your 2nd point is exactly what I was thinking CJP's lawyer would say if we did try to play that card. But I figured I would throw the idea out there, it's more realistic than paying his buyout anytime soon like some people are hoping for.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
You don't go to the NBA as a mid-tier ACC starting center.
Mid Tier??? Are you watching lol. Top 10 in field goal percentage, leading the conference in blocks. Top 10 rebounder. He has some things to work on but he definitely could be a late first rounder.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah your 2nd point is exactly what I was thinking CJP's lawyer would say if we did try to play that card. But I figured I would throw the idea out there, it's more realistic than paying his buyout anytime soon like some people are hoping for.

I think the big question is what's the actual cause? It's a truly bizarre situation. You thought the guy was your friend, turns out to be a total psycho, you bar him from campus and take legal measures. What exactly did Pastner do that would be in a "fired for cause" clause though? Bad PR? I just don't know.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Mid Tier??? Are you watching lol. Top 10 in field goal percentage, leading the conference in blocks. Top 10 rebounder. He has some things to work on but he definitely could be a late first rounder.
Athletic ability and great length give him a shot. Personally I think he needs better ball skills to make an NBA roster, since hes a bit undersized. Most NBA bigs can step out, and pass the ball well.

He can play pro ball somewhere though if he wants to jump