1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

GT at ND Post Game Discussion

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Basketball' started by CLM, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Peacone36

Peacone36 ACCBasketballReport.com Contributing Writer

4 guys averaging 15 points per game? That’s ridiculous. Last team we were close to having 3 guys do that was 1997-98.

GTRock and AUFC like this.
  2. mstranahan

mstranahan Helluva Engineer

+100

3. mstranahan

I spoke to someone very close to Gibbs after the game. Asked her how he was doing, must've felt good to break out, etc. She said Brey has been unbelievable all season. Supportive, always positive with him, encouraging, etc She basically said TJ loves Brey, knows the coach has his back and TJ would run thru a brick wall for him.

I don't know anyone close to Jose, so have no clue what kind of answer they would give. I think the kid is great and has a bright future. He will have to work on his game in the offseason (like everyone) and I have the sense he will work his tail off. He seems to be hard on himself and I think that drives him to work harder. I would expect to see Devoe & Jose share ball handling next year, with Jose being more pure PG. I may be overly optimistic, but I believe we'll have one of the better backcourts in the ACC.

4. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

Wasn’t sure where to post this, but was surprised to walk into our hotel in Auckland, New Zealand last night to find the big screen in their lounge showing.....the ACC Networks game, GT vs Notre Dame

CuseJacket, lauraee and ESPNjacket like this.
  5. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

no doubt you're right about that. the 15 was arbitrary as i was replying to a post that had used that number ( i had originally started out calling them double digit scorers ) the point i was working toward over the thread was that imo Jose's efficiency will return when he doesn't have to try to be the leading scorer.

gte447f likes this.
  6. Peacone36

Peacone36 ACCBasketballReport.com Contributing Writer

His fall this year seems to coincide with the groin injury.

Making sure he stays healthy for an entire season would be a good first step.

7. mstranahan

You mean Monday morning? The game tipped at 7 AM local time in Auckland...

8. GTRX7

GTRX7 Helluva Engineer

Wow. That is a pretty unbelievable run of bad three point shooting. Ranked 250 or higher in 8 of the last 9 years in 3 pt %. Just wow.

9. first&ten

first&ten Helluva Engineer

Have to disagree with you here. The only time Cole & Wright should ever see the floor is during mop up time with a 15 pt. lead.

10. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

I think the complaint is not from the abstract "year 3 of rebuild" or "on the road vs ACC team." I think the complaint is from looking at our actual play and seeing guys that shot 40+% from 3pt for stretches earlier this season now hitting less than 10% for this last stretch. It comes from looking at us playing such unexpectedly good D that we would be winning more games if we could just hit layups or not throw the ball away with sloppy passes. Even with our shooting woes, we'd be more competitive if we didn't have so many foolish turnovers.

GTRock likes this.
  11. alagold

alagold Helluva Engineer

JP depends too much on his high risk/high reward DEF.Risky in that it extends out a lot and distorts the REBs positioning. almost every game and esp last nite. (20 Rebs given up ).
    Ifyou watch the team it is almost at times like they "settle" for stopping the opponent and then do not care about concentrating on scoring.Actually had fewer TOs than normal but still couldn't score much.

12. SteamWhistle

SteamWhistle Helluva Engineer

Next year is make it or break it On the Court and On the Trail. If we miss the NIT next year I think there’s no way we resign Pastner. There’s talent for a NIT run next year and maybe even a Bubble/Outside chance for the Tournament. If Tech struggles and Pastner continues to whiff in recruiting he’s gone after 2020. Crean just signed the best Guard in America, and had a legit shot at Ashton Williams, how the hell has Pastner not even got a Top 50 guy? Don’t say money or bagmen cause I promise that’s not the answer. I love JP but it’s not looking good right now.

GTJake, TaxJacket and GTRock like this.
  13. jbix80

jbix80 Helluva Engineer

I think you mean Ashton Hagans, and Mike Devoe was ranked #45 on ESPN.

14. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

No, I mean Monday night Auckland time...it was a replay (I already knew we had lost)

mstranahan likes this.
  15. GTRock

GTRock Helluva Engineer

Gotta love or respect some of the Gold colored glasses in this thread. Hope against all hope/evidence...

16. Vespidie

Vespidie Jolly Good Fellow

Open shooter does not equate to good shooter and that has been a problem with GT basketball for a long time. The premise that you let shooters keep shooting assumes that those doing the shooting are good at it in the first place. I think there is a misconception regarding shooters and scorers. Shooters make open shots whereas scorers find a way to put the ball in the basket. I'm not sure if we have much of either based on what we have witnessed.