GT at ND Post Game Discussion

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I dunno what happened in the phillips xfer (maybe acc is just tougher than sec). hopefully he gets his swag back for next year. In Jordan's case i was looking at his frosh stats (whole season) 8.4 ppg 24 mpg. so if he gets 30min+ and considering two yrs dev time i dont see why not. IF all four of them can do 15 ppg then the fifth starter can get by more as a role player than scorer (which may happen anyways) . so I still think Jose's stats will bounce back if he doesn't have to shoulder as much of the scoring burden.

I dunno what happened in the phillips xfer (maybe acc is just tougher than sec). hopefully he gets his swag back for next year. In Jordan's case i was looking at his frosh stats (whole season) 8.4 ppg 24 mpg. so if he gets 30min+ and considering two yrs dev time i dont see why not. IF all four of them can do 15 ppg then the fifth starter can get by more as a role player than scorer (which may happen anyways) . so I still think Jose's stats will bounce back if he doesn't have to shoulder as much of the scoring burden.

4 guys averaging 15 points per game? That’s ridiculous. Last team we were close to having 3 guys do that was 1997-98.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I spoke to someone very close to Gibbs after the game. Asked her how he was doing, must've felt good to break out, etc. She said Brey has been unbelievable all season. Supportive, always positive with him, encouraging, etc She basically said TJ loves Brey, knows the coach has his back and TJ would run thru a brick wall for him.

I don't know anyone close to Jose, so have no clue what kind of answer they would give. I think the kid is great and has a bright future. He will have to work on his game in the offseason (like everyone) and I have the sense he will work his tail off. He seems to be hard on himself and I think that drives him to work harder. I would expect to see Devoe & Jose share ball handling next year, with Jose being more pure PG. I may be overly optimistic, but I believe we'll have one of the better backcourts in the ACC.

GT_EE78

Banned
4 guys averaging 15 points per game? That’s ridiculous. Last team we were close to having 3 guys do that was 1997-98.
no doubt you're right about that. the 15 was arbitrary as i was replying to a post that had used that number ( i had originally started out calling them double digit scorers ) the point i was working toward over the thread was that imo Jose's efficiency will return when he doesn't have to try to be the leading scorer.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
was surprised to walk into our hotel in Auckland, New Zealand last night to find the big screen in their lounge showing.....the ACC Networks game, GT vs Notre Dame

You mean Monday morning? The game tipped at 7 AM local time in Auckland...

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Firing Pastner isn’t going to happen and probably not needed right now. Firing a few assistants needs to happen fast. If you can’t coach or recruit, you’re pretty damn useless as an assistant.

I’m not sure what it is, but something is systematically wrong with our basketball program that affects how we shoot. I don’t even know how that’s possible, but we shouldn’t be this incapable of hitting wide open shots over the course of this many years and 2 different coaches. Every year but 1 since Hewitt left we have been in the bottom quartile (mostly far below) across roughly 350ish NCAA teams in 3 point shooting. You can’t sit here and tell me this is a result of a lack of talent. There are TONS of teams that aren’t good that can at least shoot the ball. You don’t have this kind of consistency of poor shooting without something else being wrong. There is zero reason Haywood shoots as bad as he does. He came in with a beautiful stroke and we turned him into a 27% 3pt shooter who averages 6ppg.

3P% Rankings:
Pastner
340/353
320/351
280/351

Gregory
125/351
349/351
304/351
261/347
291/345

Hewitt
328/345
96/347
247/343
80/341
68/336
24/334
221/330
70/327
147/326
49/326
63/321

Wow. That is a pretty unbelievable run of bad three point shooting. Ranked 250 or higher in 8 of the last 9 years in 3 pt %. Just wow.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
That is some true. However, we have decent players that are not playing. Where was Cole, Moses, Ogbanda. They need to play for us to be better next year. I feel disappointed in losing games we should be walking away with. Granted, next year will be a stronger team.
Have to disagree with you here. The only time Cole & Wright should ever see the floor is during mop up time with a 15 pt. lead.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Did you expect us to be better this year? We lost our two best players off of a team that wasn't good. Jose showed promise last year but wasn't really a guy you'd expect to carry a team in the ACC. Devoe is a good player but, again, not someone you'd expect to carry an ACC team as a freshman.

The common theme among the depressed seems to be that we aren't better in year 3. Why did anyone expect that? This was the clear down year in the process.

If we aren't better next year then the complaints make sense. This is what I expected. I'm pretty sure it is what most of the people in the sport expected.

Next year Jose is a junior, Devoe a soph, and Banks a senior. That's a pretty good core. We need a couple of the projects to "get it" in the offseason. That's where we are.

I think the complaint is not from the abstract "year 3 of rebuild" or "on the road vs ACC team." I think the complaint is from looking at our actual play and seeing guys that shot 40+% from 3pt for stretches earlier this season now hitting less than 10% for this last stretch. It comes from looking at us playing such unexpectedly good D that we would be winning more games if we could just hit layups or not throw the ball away with sloppy passes. Even with our shooting woes, we'd be more competitive if we didn't have so many foolish turnovers.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
JP depends too much on his high risk/high reward DEF.Risky in that it extends out a lot and distorts the REBs positioning. almost every game and esp last nite. (20 Rebs given up ).
Ifyou watch the team it is almost at times like they "settle" for stopping the opponent and then do not care about concentrating on scoring.Actually had fewer TOs than normal but still couldn't score much.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Next year is make it or break it On the Court and On the Trail. If we miss the NIT next year I think there’s no way we resign Pastner. There’s talent for a NIT run next year and maybe even a Bubble/Outside chance for the Tournament. If Tech struggles and Pastner continues to whiff in recruiting he’s gone after 2020. Crean just signed the best Guard in America, and had a legit shot at Ashton Williams, how the hell has Pastner not even got a Top 50 guy? Don’t say money or bagmen cause I promise that’s not the answer. I love JP but it’s not looking good right now.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Next year is make it or break it On the Court and On the Trail. If we miss the NIT next year I think there’s no way we resign Pastner. There’s talent for a NIT run next year and maybe even a Bubble/Outside chance for the Tournament. If Tech struggles and Pastner continues to whiff in recruiting he’s gone after 2020. Crean just signed the best Guard in America, and had a legit shot at Ashton Williams, how the hell has Pastner not even got a Top 50 guy? Don’t say money or bagmen cause I promise that’s not the answer. I love JP but it’s not looking good right now.
I think you mean Ashton Hagans, and Mike Devoe was ranked #45 on ESPN.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Gotta love or respect some of the Gold colored glasses in this thread. Hope against all hope/evidence...

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Trying to do too much and being asked to do too much or the wrong thing in some situations. I have seen some of all of this. On being asked to do too much or the wrong thing, last night I did not think it was a good strategy to be using Jose at the high post area on the interior of the Notre Dame zone defense. Pastner has remarked many times about how Jose is undersized and should know better than to challenge bigs in the lane and around the rim, so what does he do last night, naturally he has Jose post up on the interior of the zone. I assume they were thinking put a good passer in there to kick out to open shooters, but it didn't work, and it was obvious it wasn't working early in the game, but the coaches kept doing it all night. That should have been Khalid Moore or Alston (I can't believe I am saying that) in that spot. It needs to be someone who has size (hence not Jose), can shoot the mid-range jumper, drive or pass, depending on how the defense reacts to them receiving the ball in that position. AD could be deadly from there if he could/would shoot from 15 feet.

Open shooter does not equate to good shooter and that has been a problem with GT basketball for a long time. The premise that you let shooters keep shooting assumes that those doing the shooting are good at it in the first place. I think there is a misconception regarding shooters and scorers. Shooters make open shots whereas scorers find a way to put the ball in the basket. I'm not sure if we have much of either based on what we have witnessed.