GT at ND Post Game Discussion

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Mid Tier??? Are you watching lol. Top 10 in field goal percentage, leading the conference in blocks. Top 10 rebounder. He has some things to work on but he definitely could be a late first rounder.

If Banks had Jose's hands he could be a first round talent but he just can't hang onto the ball consistently. So many bobbled rebounds and missed layups/dunks. He does have the athleticism though.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
The buyout after this year is actually about $8M (100% x 4 years x about $2M per year). After next year about $6M. It does go down to 75% times remaining salary for last two years, but the salary goes up, so it is still almost $4M after 2 more years and about $2M after 3 more years.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Defense played well, all things considered.

Turnovers and rebounding continue to kill us.

Actually shot better than ND did for the game. But damn, ND had 11 more shots than we did. Only got this close due to the fouling/free throw parade. Heck, we even made more 3 pointers..

Thankfully we broke the 50 point barrier [emoji853], sad that is even being brought up as a bright spot.
Oh, and Decor* made 4 3's [emoji4]

[emoji19][emoji19][emoji19][emoji19]

* Devoe. Darn auto correct

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the big question is what's the actual cause? It's a truly bizarre situation. You thought the guy was your friend, turns out to be a total psycho, you bar him from campus and take legal measures. What exactly did Pastner do that would be in a "fired for cause" clause though? Bad PR? I just don't know.

Yeah I think you go for the bad PR angle, also bad judgement from him for allowing a convicted felon to have that type of access to the team. Should never have happened.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah your 2nd point is exactly what I was thinking CJP's lawyer would say if we did try to play that card. But I figured I would throw the idea out there, it's more realistic than paying his buyout anytime soon like some people are hoping for.

Our own internal investigation cleared him. It is way beyond a reach to then try to fire him. I am not a lawyer and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express but I think I could win that case. Unless there is a clause for outright naivete in his contract.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
the least of our worries is Banks going pro after this year. He is playing OK to good but doesn't have an NBA game. Not nearly strong enough and he needs to work on his hands and feet in a big way - plus try to get a 12-15 foot jumper at minimum. He can't hold the block in college and has zero shot of holding it in the pros. He has potential but is still really raw.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Our own internal investigation cleared him. It is way beyond a reach to then try to fire him. I am not a lawyer and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express but I think I could win that case. Unless there is a clause for outright naivete in his contract.

Lol yeah I know I'm definitely grasping at straws here. Desperate times...

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
How long have you followed GT hoops? Nobody was willing to cough up for the Hewitt or BG buyouts, but now someone is going to cough up $5MM for Pastner?

Been watching my whole life basically. Just because we haven’t done it in the past doesn’t mean we shouldn’t consider it now. Again, what else should we do then? I am trying to support the team and I go to every game but it’s hard.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Been watching my whole life basically. Just because we haven’t done it in the past doesn’t mean we shouldn’t consider it now. Again, what else should we do then? I am trying to support the team and I go to every game but it’s hard.

Two thoughts.

1) Take a break from watching. Better to take a rest than give yourself a headache. I'm serious when I say this.
2) Support the players no matter what. My impression is that this won't be a problem for you, but it's something every one needs to think about doing.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

Did you expect us to be better this year? We lost our two best players off of a team that wasn't good. Jose showed promise last year but wasn't really a guy you'd expect to carry a team in the ACC. Devoe is a good player but, again, not someone you'd expect to carry an ACC team as a freshman.

The common theme among the depressed seems to be that we aren't better in year 3. Why did anyone expect that? This was the clear down year in the process.

If we aren't better next year then the complaints make sense. This is what I expected. I'm pretty sure it is what most of the people in the sport expected.

Next year Jose is a junior, Devoe a soph, and Banks a senior. That's a pretty good core. We need a couple of the projects to "get it" in the offseason. That's where we are.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the people that are thinking “it’s year 3 and we should be better” are looking from the expectation/point of view from when CJP took over the program. Anyone who is objective knew we would Struggle this year when JO went pro & they looked at our roster. The obvious disappointment is not that we struggled with the guys we have on the roster, but that we haven’t been able to recruit more consistently/have a stronger roster

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
That is some true. However, we have decent players that are not playing. Where was Cole, Moses, Ogbanda. They need to play for us to be better next year. I feel disappointed in losing games we should be walking away with. Granted, next year will be a stronger team.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Next year we will have 4 guys rated in the top 125 nationally. We don't lose very much from this season. In the next recruiting class, CJP needs to get 1 top 100 player minimum, and really needs 2 honestly. 20 wins is the reasonable goal for next year - something like 20-12 would be a good corner turner. But 2 years from now is the big year. If he's not pushing 22 wins in the 2020-2021 season, Stansbury will have some thinking to do. For any folks who don't like CJP, the odds are not in your favor. Stansbury wouldn't have fired Johnson, and he hasn't fired Hall. And in fact, despite continued mediocre results with highly ranked classes, he's basically said he thinks Hall is still a good coach so there isn't any level of performance that would get him fired. So if we're still sitting here at 18-20 wins in another few years, I wouldn't be surprised if Stansbury gives Pastner a couple year extension.

Comparing baseball with football is a very bad analogy. With basketball being a a high profile revenue generating sport, Stansbury has to take that into consideration after year 5. If next years basketball results mirror what we are witnessing this year, CJP will have to do something above and beyond in year 5 to survive IMO. We have to remember one thing here...if you're worth your weight in salt as a big boy basketball program, results should be noticeable in 3 years. What we're witnessing now doesn't mimic anything remotely positive, and based on all indications the future doesn't look much brighter. Positive results equate to wins and that is something that is needed desperately now.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
If Banks had Jose's hands he could be a first round talent but he just can't hang onto the ball consistently. So many bobbled rebounds and missed layups/dunks. He does have the athleticism though.
Banks of course cannot develop Jose’s hands, but he should be able to develop ADs footwork and touch around the rim. AD definitely didn’t have it until he got here. Can you imagine Banks with ADs touch?

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
The most important recruits for next year are on the current team. Gotta keep some continuity going even when it looks like there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Just gotta keep pushing

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Devoe seems to be progressing nicely. Probably our only well rounded basketball player.

The regression of Alvarado and Haywood is very concerning.

Alston looks like he doesn't want to be out there anymore, not sure what gives.

Slojund needs to redshirt next year and take dance classes. If he could move his feet he would be a weapon
I’ll punt this to the more knowledgeable b-ball posters here, but wasn’t it odd how we played Slojund today? He hit a couple of shot in the corner, looked great, and then for some reason moved him to the elbow where he could not get his look. Seemed to me like ND defense was playing the same, so not sure why.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
The buyout after this year is actually about $8M (100% x 4 years x about $2M per year). After next year about $6M. It does go down to 75% times remaining salary for last two years, but the salary goes up, so it is still almost $4M after 2 more years and about $2M after 3 more years.
We screwed