GT and Under Armour

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I watched that Last Chance U documentary on Netflix which features East Mississippi Community College. Even they had Adidas. Heck, I saw teams in the Corky Kell Classic wearing Adidas. Not that I want to move to them (Nike or UA for me), but Adidas at least has more of a cool factor than Russell.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
It is an interesting question. For those that are anti-Russell, if you were A.D., how much more would they have to pay than others to continue the contract?

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
The most important priorities are promoting attendance to football and basketball, fundraising, increasing / improving staff, maintaining facilities, then *maybe* the uni contract.
A revised uni contract would help a lot of that, just not directly. Everything else equal, a new uni contract with a Nike or UA (particularly in basketball) will land you more touted/usually better players. Better players give you more wins. More wins lead to higher attendance (see 2015 football season ticket sales) and more/bigger donations. This all leads to more money at the disposal of the AA for facilities, increased budgets, etc.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It is an interesting question. For those that are anti-Russell, if you were A.D., how much more would they have to pay than others to continue the contract?

Honestly, looking at the money other schools are getting from UA/Nike, there's no way RA can compete with that. It's why I'm shocked they haven't been bought out already.

I recall reading a while back that the GT/RA relationship is more intertwined than them simply being an apparel provider though so that might explain it. If I can dig up the article I'll link it. Nothing untoward, just some ancillary stuff we provide them and some other duties they perform for us or whatever.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I watched that Last Chance U documentary on Netflix which features East Mississippi Community College. Even they had Adidas. Heck, I saw teams in the Corky Kell Classic wearing Adidas. Not that I want to move to them (Nike or UA for me), but Adidas at least has more of a cool factor than Russell.
This is apples to oranges in truth based on the Tiers of usage.

We're all operating uner the assumption that GT will be a high tier school for any company that picks us up. Depending on the tier of the school determiens the actual sponsorhsip of the deal. Small colleges/highs chools are not sponsored by these companies except for maybe getting a "bulk price" on their order. This is completely different than what Tech is looking for in an actual sponsorship relationship.

University of Nevada wears Nike but their coach has said multiple times they have to buy all the Nike stuff they get at just a slight discount.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
This is apples to oranges in truth based on the Tiers of usage.

We're all operating uner the assumption that GT will be a high tier school for any company that picks us up. Depending on the tier of the school determiens the actual sponsorhsip of the deal. Small colleges/highs chools are not sponsored by these companies except for maybe getting a "bulk price" on their order. This is completely different than what Tech is looking for in an actual sponsorship relationship.

University of Nevada wears Nike but their coach has said multiple times they have to buy all the Nike stuff they get at just a slight discount.
Ahhh, fair enough. That makes sense. I just noticed the players in Last Chance U sporting some pretty cool looking uniforms and backpacks, but I guess what you're saying is it was the school that purchased them. Well, I hope we get a good deal. With the ACC Network coming in 2019, I would have to wonder if that will drive up our deal considering we'd be getting more exposure. Hard to argue for top dollar when your lower level games are on ESPN3, but you have a good argument when the contract will take place during a time when each game will be televised. I feel like the Big Ten Network and the television deals they've gotten helped Wisconsin land that big contract with Under Armour.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Ahhh, fair enough. That makes sense. I just noticed the players in Last Chance U sporting some pretty cool looking uniforms and backpacks, but I guess what you're saying is it was the school that purchased them. Well, I hope we get a good deal. With the ACC Network coming in 2019, I would have to wonder if that will drive up our deal considering we'd be getting more exposure. Hard to argue for top dollar when your lower level games are on ESPN3, but you have a good argument when the contract will take place during a time when each game will be televised. I feel like the Big Ten Network and the television deals they've gotten helped Wisconsin land that big contract with Under Armour.
I have a feeling Adidas provided gear to that school knowing they'd end up on the show...that's straight up advertising. The school could have put out feelers to all the apparel manufacturers in advance of the show asking for best offers. It'd be pretty dumb for any of them to turn down the chance.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
bf36295045daf136eb4e43e2a73d6812.jpg