GT & ACC WBB 2021-2022

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We need to hold service in the games we should win, but the upcoming stretch with Duke, NC State, and Virginia Tech, will likely establish us as a top team or relegate us to a lower level. Cubaj & Company are capable of beating everyone in the ACC, but doing that night after night is hard. Our starting five is good. Really good. But we lose something when we go past Bates on our bench. Staying out of foul trouble and remaining injury free will be really important.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We need to hold service in the games we should win, but the upcoming stretch with Duke, NC State, and Virginia Tech, will likely establish us as a top team or relegate us to a lower level. Cubaj & Company are capable of beating everyone in the ACC, but doing that night after night is hard. Our starting five is good. Really good. But we lose something when we go past Bates on our bench. Staying out of foul trouble and remaining injury free will be really important.
Is Carter before or after Bates in your calculus?

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Is Carter before or after Bates in your calculus?
From what I’ve seen, I like the energy and tempo change Carter brings when she enters the court. She‘s not afraid to dribble drive and go hard to the bucket. I’m a little surprised she isn’t seeing more floor time.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
After. Bates is getting double the minutes. Carter and Bulane are nos. 7 & 8.
I asked because I like Carter's game. She's still young and makes some young mistakes, but she plays with high intensity and is not intimidated. Bulane seems a little timid or unsure at times and out of control sometimes too. Also a result of being young.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I asked because I like Carter's game. She's still young and makes some young mistakes, but she plays with high intensity and is not intimidated. Bulane seems a little timid or unsure at times and out of control sometimes too. Also a result of being young.
I agree with you regarding Carter and Bulane. Carter makes some really nice plays and then she has a head scratcher. I wonder if Bulane is trying too hard. She clearly has talent but seems out of step at times. Both are players we will see a lot next year.

Gtbb99

Georgia Tech Fan
There are a few games where the competition has not been as good and she has padded those numbers, but her low output has been a 33 point game. She is willing to unload from almost anywhere in the front court ala Curry, so that is a good analogy.

NY only has two classifications for high school sports and her school is in the large school class with close to 3000 students. There are some schools with fewer than 1000 in that same classification. That makes for very uneven competition. Susan Wagner is ranked in the top 20.
If you read articles she plays 2-3 quarters in those games? Shows sheer dominance. Her low output was 25. Smaller school can recruit ala the privates give out scholarships

Gtbb99

Georgia Tech Fan
Isn't it more appropriate to figure her points per minute since she is pulled from games when they get way ahead?

I've only seen a few write ups of the game length but seem to remember her only playing 1/2 at least one game.

Either way, ridiculous.
One game she played 11 minutes in the article. Had 34 pts. Either way kid can light it up.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Games I will be watching today while peeking in on the NFL:

2 PM - Boston College @ #20 ND *** It would be nice for BC to give ND another L ***
3 PM - #21 Duke @ #5 Louisville *** I don't think it will happen, but a loss here would be devastating for UL's hopes for a 1 seed ***
4 PM - #3 NC State @ UNC *** UNC has 3 losses, all to Top 20 teams ***
6 PM - #14 GT @ Clemson *** We need to take care of business and travel to Durham ***

I wonder why the ACC and ESPN put the 2 PM, 3 PM and 4 PM in that overlap schedule? By streaming on different tabs I will be OK, but it would be nice to not have to.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the issue is our offensive numbers are not "Top 16" like. I am OK with whatever happens, but frankly, Kansas State is in a terrible spot on that list. Being the 4 or 5 seed in South Carolina's bracket is where we were last year. No thanks.
I know what you are saying. But the fact of the matter is you spend 50% of your time playing defense. There are plenty of high scoring offenses out there that don't play a lick of defense and their records reflect that. Two of our most recent opponents, BC and UNC, both have high octane offenses and we beat both easily. If the committee that is responsible for ranking teams for seeding doesn't understand that then they need to find some that do.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know what you are saying. But the fact of the matter is you spend 50% of your time playing defense. There are plenty of high scoring offenses out there that don't play a lick of defense and their records reflect that. Two of our most recent opponents, BC and UNC, both have high octane offenses and we beat both easily. If the committee that is responsible for ranking teams for seeding doesn't understand that then they need to find some that do.
You and I can disagree with the selection committee all day, but it doesn't change the reality. I would like to see us win out and get a 1 seed.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Games I will be watching today while peeking in on the NFL:

2 PM - Boston College @ #20 ND *** It would be nice for BC to give ND another L ***
3 PM - #21 Duke @ #5 Louisville *** I don't think it will happen, but a loss here would be devastating for UL's hopes for a 1 seed ***
4 PM - #3 NC State @ UNC *** UNC has 3 losses, all to Top 20 teams ***
6 PM - #14 GT @ Clemson *** We need to take care of business and travel to Durham ***

I wonder why the ACC and ESPN put the 2 PM, 3 PM and 4 PM in that overlap schedule? By streaming on different tabs I will be OK, but it would be nice to not have to.
Yawn! All the favorites won. Time to travel north to Durham.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
You and I can disagree with the selection committee all day, but it doesn't change the reality. I would like to see us win out and get a 1 seed.
Oh I wasn't disagreeing with you. I'm sure you are correct in your reasoning. I was trying to say it is a flawed criterium by the committee. There are going to be games when your shots aren't falling but a good defense will be there every night. I used K State as an example of that flawed logic by the committee. I don't know that a team that has been blown out by about 20 points four different times this year should be among the top 16 teams in the country. We may have lost four games but we were in it to the end on all of them.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Oh I wasn't disagreeing with you. I'm sure you are correct in your reasoning. I was trying to say it is a flawed criterium by the committee. There are going to be games when your shots aren't falling but a good defense will be there every night. I used K State as an example of that flawed logic by the committee. I don't know that a team that has been blown out by about 20 points four different times this year should be among the top 16 teams in the country. We may have lost four games but we were in it to the end on all of them.
Yeah, our last 3 losses by 4 total points I believe. Purdue by 1, Louisville by 2, Miami by 1, if I'm not mistaken. The other loss was an unexpected loss to Auburn, which knocked us out of the rankings at the time, I believe. And they recently beat #7 Tennessee, so...

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Based on recent games I think I would rather see Harrison get some minutes if we are going to bring a big off the bench. I like Aranaz but you have to hit wide open layups. Duke is a bad matchup for Carter I think. She doesn't do well against teams that play 5 out. Not enough foot speed. I like her heart and hustle though. But dang, make your free throws.