GT & ACC WBB 2021-2022

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What really stands out to me in that video is how EVERYONE is positive and supports each teammate. I'm not sure I heard a negative word that whole practice...just constructive support. That is really cool. Also, if anyone notices, they have guys practice with them. I know UConn does that as well.
Back in the Fall, Nell asked for male students who had high school playing experience to practice with the women. Some on campus bennies plus helping the team.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I know a former WBB coach in the ACC and told her I saw our team practicing full court against male players. She said she did the same for her team. Teaches them to be more physical and play a faster game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The team practiced against male players under MaChelle Joseph too
Actually the first time I saw it at Tech was a trip to homecoming and I wanted to see the basketball arena renovation. Joseph was the coach and they were scrimmaging against guys full court. It must be pretty much standard practice these days. Great chance for a bunch of gym rat guys to play against the women. I would have tried out.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If Aicha Coulibaly enters the portal have everyone you know, and half the people you don't know, call Nell Fortner immediately. She is playing on a losing Auburn team and is NOT from Alabama. She is Lorela Cubaj with a much better shot. She almost singlehandedly beat Tennessee last night.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is ridiculous. She is a walking bucket. She may become our Steph curry. One thing coach nelle will prob get her many screens. Quick release from deep
There are a few games where the competition has not been as good and she has padded those numbers, but her low output has been a 33 point game. She is willing to unload from almost anywhere in the front court ala Curry, so that is a good analogy.

NY only has two classifications for high school sports and her school is in the large school class with close to 3000 students. There are some schools with fewer than 1000 in that same classification. That makes for very uneven competition. Susan Wagner is ranked in the top 20.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are a few games where the competition has not been as good and she has padded those numbers, but her low output has been a 33 point game. She is willing to unload from almost anywhere in the front court ala Curry, so that is a good analogy.

NY only has two classifications for high school sports and her school is in the large school class with close to 3000 students. There are some schools with fewer than 1000 in that same classification. That makes for very uneven competition. Susan Wagner is ranked in the top 20.

Isn't it more appropriate to figure her points per minute since she is pulled from games when they get way ahead?

I've only seen a few write ups of the game length but seem to remember her only playing 1/2 at least one game.

Either way, ridiculous.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Isn't it more appropriate to figure her points per minute since she is pulled from games when they get way ahead?

I've only seen a few write ups of the game length but seem to remember her only playing 1/2 at least one game.

Either way, ridiculous.
Agree completely. There was another game where she scored 17 points in the 4th quarter in a comeback win.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Actually New York has 5 classifications. They used to have 4 - A, B, C and D. I think it was back in the 90s when they added AA to separate the big schools.

Also ‘big’ is relative and unlike GA. I played in A and my high school’s enrollment was maybe 800-1,000.

Just checked and today public HS AA starts at 965+. One exception that I believe is still true is private schools were often forced up classification levels, given geography/recruiting advantages.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Actually New York has 5 classifications. They used to have 4 - A, B, C and D. I think it was back in the 90s when they added AA to separate the big schools.

Also ‘big’ is relative and unlike GA. I played in A and my high school’s enrollment was maybe 800-1,000.

Just checked and today public HS AA starts at 965+. One exception that I believe is still true is private schools were often forced up classification levels, given geography/recruiting advantages.
Thanks, I was unaware of the lower small school classifications.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
This week there was some discussion as to why our #14 ranked women's team was left out of the ranking committee's top 16 while Kansas State was ranked ahead of us (where they promptly lost that night to Texas by 18 points). After seeing that I decided to watch their most recent game. The committee must not actually watch the teams play or there is no way K State would be ranked ahead of us. Sure they have lost to some ranked competition but it is the scores that amaze me. Other than the loss to Texas they have four other losses with margins of 3, 19, 21 and 21. So with Texas that is 4 losses of about 20 points each. Their whole game is their 6'6" center Ayoka Lee who averages 25 points a game but if you take her away they don't have much. Unlike the bigs we face like Cunane and Kitley, Lee never leaves the paint. They start 3 freshman guards who are all 6' or 6'1" and the 4th starter is also 6'1. They play zone all game because they have very little foot speed. And even with the length of their zone Texas was able to penetrate to the whole all game long. I believe our high low game of Hermosa and Cubaj would have a field day and Love would kill them on the baseline. Their free throw shooting is better than us but we actually shoot the 3 better than they do. Like I said, do the members of the committee even watch all the teams play? Anyway just venting. Keep winning and it will take care of itself.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This week there was some discussion as to why our #14 ranked women's team was left out of the ranking committee's top 16 while Kansas State was ranked ahead of us (where they promptly lost that night to Texas by 18 points). After seeing that I decided to watch their most recent game. The committee must not actually watch the teams play or there is no way K State would be ranked ahead of us. Sure they have lost to some ranked competition but it is the scores that amaze me. Other than the loss to Texas they have four other losses with margins of 3, 19, 21 and 21. So with Texas that is 4 losses of about 20 points each. Their whole game is their 6'6" center Ayoka Lee who averages 25 points a game but if you take her away they don't have much. Unlike the bigs we face like Cunane and Kitley, Lee never leaves the paint. They start 3 freshman guards who are all 6' or 6'1" and the 4th starter is also 6'1. They play zone all game because they have very little foot speed. And even with the length of their zone Texas was able to penetrate to the whole all game long. I believe our high low game of Hermosa and Cubaj would have a field day and Love would kill them on the baseline. Their free throw shooting is better than us but we actually shoot the 3 better than they do. Like I said, do the members of the committee even watch all the teams play? Anyway just venting. Keep winning and it will take care of itself.
I think the issue is our offensive numbers are not "Top 16" like. I am OK with whatever happens, but frankly, Kansas State is in a terrible spot on that list. Being the 4 or 5 seed in South Carolina's bracket is where we were last year. No thanks.