GT +8.5 @ NC State

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
For all the grief that Pastner has taken about not being able to recruit, I loved that Price who most assumed wouldn't be used all that much, was in the game during crunch time.

It says a lot that he played before Shembari or Sjolund. He is going to be a player for us, especially once he gets past the freshman jitters.

He will knock down a lot of three points for us this year.

I'm not sure that I can see Shembari playing meaningful minutes for us at all. He just hasn't shown anything really.

Deleted member 2897

3 second applies when it's 3 consecutive seconds of controlling a ball. Once the ball is shot, the offense doesn't control it so Jose's shot would reset it. To add on, it's also suspended once the player in the lane gets the ball and is making a move, so once Banks was passed the ball and he was trying to put up the shot, the 3 seconds wasn't active.

Confirmed the play is legit. Somehow I thought Alvarado's shot only hit the backboard and not the rim. That is clearly a mistaken view on my part. From that point until when Banks gets the ball back is like exactly 3 seconds. So its a legit play.

NC State will have to come up with other excuses at this point. Like maybe when they stole the ball at the end they should have just held it until they got fouled instead of trying a fast break with crazy cross court passes.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I just watched on my lap top. From when Alvarado comes into the picture, Banks is already in the lane. Its over 6 seconds before he gets the ball and takes a shot. So he at least doubled the 3-second violation rule LOL.

A missed shot allows a rebounder to stay in the lane. It's basically a reset on Alvarado's miss.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not sure that I can see Shembari playing meaningful minutes for us at all. He just hasn't shown anything really.

Totally agree... Unfortunately, he's not even on my radar screen. After his showing in Spain, I thought he might be able to contribute something this year..Guess not.

At this point, I prefer the minutes go to Asanti. He has the makings of a very good player for us. Great shot, decent on the boards, and long arms help him defensively.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

If we were going to see Shembari it was going to be when Bryce was torching us. From what I recall that assignment went to Moore. Asanti seems a better shooter so he got the minutes.

I expect Usher will change that calculus but for yesterday he got the minutes

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
There's good and bad in every game (regardless of win or loss).

Good
- I thought for all the turnovers and offensive miscues Moses had in the 1st half, he redeemed himself with great energy and presence, especially defensively, in the 2nd half. There was a stretch where NCSU had trouble getting anything up inside with Banks and Moses there. I think that gave us a little spark.
- Devoe is picking up where he left of last year shooting the ball from deep. He's a finesse player and should look to develop a floater or learn to use his body better when going to the cup, but the guy makes some really good moves and tough shots.
- Everybody's effort was excellent - Moore, Banks, Alvarado, etc. The question is can we keep that same intensity in games where the crowd and opponent (skill-wise) are smaller, see: Elon on Monday.
- CJP's awareness to get out of the zone and pressure the ball in man in the first half as opposed to staying in it and letting them bury us with 3's was a great adjustment. Not sure it would have been as effective if MJ was active, but certainly worked last night.

Development Opportunities
- Jose doesn't play like a guy with 2 full seasons under his belt. With 5.5 left in regulation, there's no way you should settle for a 30 footer that doesn't draw iron. And again with 10 seconds left in OT, the shot he takes is a transition 3 with 1 teammate under the basket? And he picks up his 4th foul with 10 min left in the game - I just think he's an emotional player, which is great if you can harness that, but sometimes he gets so caught up in the moment that he forgets the situation and makes careless decisions. We need for him to be a smart basketball player in all scenarios, especially as a junior.
- 18 assists to 18 turnovers - that's not going to get it done. Moses had 5 (FIVE!) TOs in 23 minutes.
- Keep playing with pace - halfcourt offense struggled at times last night, especially when we couldn't get the ball inside. We looked pretty good in transition and got some easy buckets before the defense was able to get set - I'd like to see us keep pushing the ball and leveraging our athleticism.

Overall, awesome win and a great feeling to be 1-0 not only overall but also in the league. This team will only get better, esp when Usher joins in mid-December. I'm also looking forward to Bubba getting more comfortable in the offense and becoming a little more aggressive.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If we were going to see Shembari it was going to be when Bryce was torching us. From what I recall that assignment went to Moore. Asanti seems a better shooter so he got the minutes.

I expect Usher will change that calculus but for yesterday he got the minutes

Why's everything gotta be about calculus for you nerds? :D

slugboy

Staff member
For all the grief that Pastner has taken about not being able to recruit, I loved that Price who most assumed wouldn't be used all that much, was in the game during crunch time.

It says a lot that he played before Shembari or Sjolund. He is going to be a player for us, especially once he gets past the freshman jitters.

He will knock down a lot of three pointers for us this year. Just a beautiful shooting form.
I've always been a little surprised we haven't gotten more out of Shembari. I had high hopes when he transferred.

Sjolund looked to have a ton of potential when he got here. I'm hoping he still does.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I thought he played well in Spain. I think the addition of Parham makes it hard for Shembari to work into the lineup, because his ability to handle the ball isn't as big a benefit when we already have Jose, Mike, and Bubba, with 2 usually being in there.

Shembari provides good ball handling and defense, but lacks the playmaking. The problem is that his ball handling is no better than Jose or Mike and their offense is more valuable than his defense. If, for instance, we had Okogie providing us 20 a game from the SF spot, then Shembari's defense would be a bigger benefit because there wouldn't be as big a need for points from the second guard spot. As it is we can't really afford the loss in offense that would come with him playing over any of the other 3. I think if we run into a team that plays a true 3 gaurds lineup most of the time he will come in handy.

Still, I think he's probably making Jose and Mike better in practice.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
There's good and bad in every game (regardless of win or loss).

Good
- I thought for all the turnovers and offensive miscues Moses had in the 1st half, he redeemed himself with great energy and presence, especially defensively, in the 2nd half. There was a stretch where NCSU had trouble getting anything up inside with Banks and Moses there. I think that gave us a little spark.
- Devoe is picking up where he left of last year shooting the ball from deep. He's a finesse player and should look to develop a floater or learn to use his body better when going to the cup, but the guy makes some really good moves and tough shots.
- Everybody's effort was excellent - Moore, Banks, Alvarado, etc. The question is can we keep that same intensity in games where the crowd and opponent (skill-wise) are smaller, see: Elon on Monday.
- CJP's awareness to get out of the zone and pressure the ball in man in the first half as opposed to staying in it and letting them bury us with 3's was a great adjustment. Not sure it would have been as effective if MJ was active, but certainly worked last night.

- Jose doesn't play like a guy with 2 full seasons under his belt. With 5.5 left in regulation, there's no way you should settle for a 30 footer that doesn't draw iron. And again with 10 seconds left in OT, the shot he takes is a transition 3 with 1 teammate under the basket? And he picks up his 4th foul with 10 min left in the game - I just think he's an emotional player, which is great if you can harness that, but sometimes he gets so caught up in the moment that he forgets the situation and makes careless decisions. We need for him to be a smart basketball player in all scenarios, especially as a junior.
- 18 assists to 18 turnovers - that's not going to get it done. Moses had 5 (FIVE!) TOs in 23 minutes.
- Keep playing with pace - halfcourt offense struggled at times last night, especially when we couldn't get the ball inside. We looked pretty good in transition and got some easy buckets before the defense was able to get set - I'd like to see us keep pushing the ball and leveraging our athleticism.

Overall, awesome win and a great feeling to be 1-0 not only overall but also in the league. This team will only get better, esp when Usher joins in mid-December. I'm also looking forward to Bubba getting more comfortable in the offense and becoming a little more aggressive.

Fwiw Jose's 4th foul was a total BS call. Could have gotten a better shot at the end but I'll take the rest of the game

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
first time i can recall a come back win like this anywhere since bc was coach. to come back from 16 down on the road... in ot and win. masterful.

gregory and especially phew were masters of the 5 point loss.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer

He will knock down a lot of three pointers for us this year. Just a beautiful shooting form.

I agree. But, I don't think any Tech player should be wearing #23.

/

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

And I was screaming and cussing after each and every one, especially Moses'. "Don't go out by the arc, don't go out there...DON'T PASS IT TO MOSES...NO...NO...Da***&&&%%%!"

I told ya I was a bad fan!

Natehosch

Georgia Tech Fan
[QUOTE="Natehosch, post: 654106, member: 4351] Sad to see Moses Foul out but he was a bog reason we were in that game.

So you’re saying he bogged down the lane? Sounds about right.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for pointing that out... and yes he did haha.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

I'm going to defend Jose on this one (with the caveat that I freely admit to not being very smart about basketball). To me, at the end of regulation (and maybe the end of OT as well) he was using the long shot as a pass to Banks...expecting that Banks could do something with the rebound. This worked in OT (although it was Moore who got the rebound, iirc) but not in regulation. Could he have dribbled one or two more times and tried a regular pass to Banks? Yes, but actually I think he may have felt they were fronting Banks effectively to defend against that and the rebound was a better option.

Just my take....(Banks, btw agrees with you, as he was talking to Jose in some frustration at the end of regulation, and Jose was trying to explain something to him...)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Because it’s hard for him to differentiate and he’s always had trouble trying to integrate.

Oh sh*t, flashback to before my mtrain days. Just read his post slowly, kg. I'm sure he's trying to communicate ... something ... oh no ... not again ...

science.gif