GT +8.5 @ NC State

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Thoughts ...

Any road win in the ACC is a good win!
We played like an 'old team' - did not panic when we got down early. From middle of first half on we were the better team.
Yes they had two starters out, Usher was also out and would have played big minutes for us as well.

The good
- Nice adjustment to man when the zone did not work - aggressive on the ball and closing out (after poor start), some dumb fouls but mainly due to being aggressive
- Banks played really well on both ends of the court, you could see NC State hesitant to go inside because of him.
- Devoe looked smoother and more aggressive than last year, very good performance
- Moses - not sure where his head was in the first half - bad decisions and turnovers, but loved the motor/energy in the second half. Shot selection was good except the second 3 pointer.
- Alvarado - played good D and stayed within himself
- Moore - Did a little of everything, you can see why he is starting, played tough D
- Bubba - nice job running the point - would have like to seen us run some sets to get him some open 3's
- Price - Played within himself tonight, did not try to do more than he is ready to
- Cole - not enough minutes to comment, but did nice job on offensive end and you saw NC State attack inside when he was there on D (which is what you expect)

- Kept the bench short, really did not disagree with that decision ... will want to see if others earn their way into rotation - Elon should be chance for more to play and show something in game.

The bad
- Main problem I saw was - Ball stuck in one spot way too much at times .... offense stagnates ... we really have no one that is great 1 on 1 player to create their own shots so need movement to generate good shots
- Pushed the ball more than in the past, but there were a lot of half court possessions that were a grind
--------- I did not think NC State played great D (good, not great), the problem was more our lack of movement and plays too slow developing
- Turnovers - way too many were careless. I don't worry as much about the number of turnovers as I do how they happen (i.e. did other team make it happen, was it careless on our part, etc.) .... at least 5-6 turnovers were 'bad' ones. Luckily did not cost us a lot of points.
- Gave up too many offensive rebounds - some because of trying to block shots, see too see if this becomes pervasive issue or not
- FT shooting - clanged too many early .. Banks stroke looked great on the last 2.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Banks had a great night and he obviously came to play. The amazing thing was his ability to play with 4 fouls. I was surprised that NCSU didn’t go at him to foul him out. Keatts has never impressed me with his coaching. He's not bad but nothing special. He is relying a lot on transfers. Funderburk will help them when they bring him back. Probably sooner than later now with that home loss.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
NC State was short 2 key starters for them which helped a lot. But that makes it the kind of opportunity you have to take advantage of and we did. Major kudos for that. Some thoughts

Moses looks like he is picking up where he left off last year. That was a big question for me

I wonder if State's initial 3 point barrage shot us out of any chance to play zone or we are going to be primarily a man team this year. Easier to run out of man

DeVoe obviously played well but it was clear he needs help to get his shot off. We ran that elevator play a lot for him which worked pretty well I expect we will put in more sets to get him shots

I hope Bubba was just settling in last night and has another gear we haven't seen yet. We are going to need scoring from him this year.

Definitely a good win if we are going to get bubbly this year

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
A few random comments:
  1. I confess I am a horrible GT fan (yeah, me @kg01) Every time we made a dumb turnover (and we had way too many of those for my taste) I would scream at the TV and think “we’re gonna lose!”
  2. Am I the only person who was mildly surprised to see Price getting important minutes at the end of regulation and OT instead of Phillips? I had thought based on pre-season games that Phillips had improved and would perhaps be a contributor
  3. We only played 8 guys....short bench....reminds me of Cremins teams.
  4. Going back to #1, we won....but by 1 point against a team missing their best two players. Is it encouraging and improvement? Yes! Am I ready to anoint us a tourney-caliber team based on this game? Nope.
  5. Moses showed up in the second half when he (mostly) stayed inside. In the first half, he was handling the ball outside and guilty of dumb turnovers....who was that guy and how come Moses did not show up until halftime?
  6. Alvarado is a true leader on the court. His contributions cannot be adequately captured by a stat sheet
  7. Devoe looked MUCH improved.
  8. 50% FG shooting....again. Nice!
  9. I fully confess to NOT being all that knowledgeable about BBall, so take these for whatever they’re worth!

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
What a game! When I see effort like I saw last night, I really don't care if we win or lose (not really but you get my meaning). When the NCAA hammered us, there was a lot of speculation that CJP could lose this team but that question was answered last night by our players. There were lots of turn overs, but the guys didn't panic, just kept grinding, and for most parts, everybody stayed within themselves and played there roles. Coming down the stretch, I would just as soon have JP coaching as anybody. Hats off to all these guys for a great road win in the ACC. I don't want to single out any one player out as they all played their hearts out, but the effort by our starters was unreal. I was high on Moore last year and he exceeded my expectations. The game seems so easy to Mike, really smoother player. It has been said of Jose that he would rather win than eat and he proved it again last night. Moses has come such a long way and will be a force this year. And I can't say enough good good things about James, has turned into a real leader on this team as a senior. We are blessed to have coach Reveno coaching the boys for sure. Should be a fun year.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
A few random comments:
  1. I confess I am a horrible GT fan (yeah, me @kg01) Every time we made a dumb turnover (and we had way too many of those for my taste) I would scream at the TV and think “we’re gonna lose!”
  2. Am I the only person who was mildly surprised to see Price getting important minutes at the end of regulation and OT instead of Phillips? I had thought based on pre-season games that Phillips had improved and would perhaps be a contributor
  3. We only played 8 guys....short bench....reminds me of Cremins teams.
  4. Going back to #1, we won....but by 1 point against a team missing their best two players. Is it encouraging and improvement? Yes! Am I ready to anoint us a tourney-caliber team based on this game? Nope.
  5. Moses showed up in the second half when he (mostly) stayed inside. In the first half, he was handling the ball outside and guilty of dumb turnovers....who was that guy and how come Moses did not show up until halftime?
  6. Alvarado is a true leader on the court. His contributions cannot be adequately captured by a stat sheet
  7. Devoe looked MUCH improved.
  8. 50% FG shooting....again. Nice!
  9. I fully confess to NOT being all that knowledgeable about BBall, so take these for whatever they’re worth!

I agree. You are a horrible fan. Haha

Seriously though, on Price, it was friggin awesome to see him straight drill that 3 in OT.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
CJP has been preaching "Get old and stay old" since he arrived. He acknowledges that this is the first team to reflect that mantra. I know this is only one game but hopefully we can expect to see our teams continue to develop and compete going forward.

slugboy

Staff member
I’m glad to see some of the more thorough takes on the game. I watched the game for a while past halftime—so I saw us catching up. If the latter part of the second half was wildly different, then I missed it.

1. It looks like we’re playing a much different offense than last year. It’s only one game though. Last year, we started with some 5 out, and then moved to 4 out 1 in, but didn’t have the outside shooting to make that work. This year, we have at least one player closer to the basket and it seemed like a lot less passing in the first half than we saw at the start of the season last year.
2. On offense, the inside seemed clogged with NCST bodies, which is weird because we should have more and better outside shooting this year than we had last year. It looked like only a couple of people would touch the ball in an offensive sequence, unless there was an offensive rebound.
3. I’m not sure what our offensive scheme is going to be this year. I assume it’s what we saw last night.
4. Defense in the first 5-10 minutes was scary. NCST was scoring like crazy. I’m not sure why it took us so long to get into the game, or if NCST just came out on fire and made us look bad.

If anyone knows what we were trying to do on offense, let me know. I’m not trying to throw out bait—I’m curious as to what we’re trying to run, and how it matches our talents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

After rewatching the end, it’s on my phone so I can’t see well. But it feels like Banks was in the lane for like 5 seconds LOL.

I just watched on my lap top. From when Alvarado comes into the picture, Banks is already in the lane. Its over 6 seconds before he gets the ball and takes a shot. So he at least doubled the 3-second violation rule LOL.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
  • Am I the only person who was mildly surprised to see Price getting important minutes at the end of regulation and OT instead of Phillips? I had thought based on pre-season games that Phillips had improved and would perhaps be a contributor

I was mildly surprised at first. My guess is we see Price as a better shooter and since we were playing Jose and Mike anyways (and sometimes Bubba), Phillips would be redundant. I was surprised he didn't get any action due to Jose being in foul trouble, but having Bubba really helped there. My guess is Phillips would have been in there if we were nursing a lead but since there was more pressure to score we went with Price instead.

• Going back to #1, we won....but by 1 point against a team missing their best two players. Is it encouraging and improvement? Yes! Am I ready to anoint us a tourney-caliber team based on this game? Nope.

I'm not sure Funderburk is better than Bryce but point stands anyways. The way I look at it is to me it looked like first game jitters while playing on the road against a quality team is why NCSU jumped out to a 15 point lead. After that we outscored them by 15 over the course of the next 30 minutes which would extrapolate to a 20 point win over a full game if we played at that level all 40 minutes. Now obviously we have to prove that we can do that over 40 minutes, but right now I think those first 10 minutes aren't the best indicator of what the team can do, especially since we looked so much better once we settled down.

We certainly need to improve, but to me it's exciting to be able to get this win and still see clear ways of improvement. It did not look like we were at our best last night, yet we got the W anyways.

• Moses showed up in the second half when he (mostly) stayed inside. In the first half, he was handling the ball outside and guilty of dumb turnovers....who was that guy and how come Moses did not show up until halftime?

IMO Moses was the symptom of the bigger issue. In the first half, especially the first 10 minutes, our guards were passive in getting the ball. They were content to let themeselves be guarded and so Moses often went out as a sort of outlet. After the first 10 minutes, and especially in the second half, our guards were more aggressive in getting the ball, and Moses stayed down low more.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I just watched on my lap top. From when Alvarado comes into the picture, Banks is already in the lane. Its over 6 seconds before he gets the ball and takes a shot. So he at least doubled the 3-second violation rule LOL.

3 second applies when it's 3 consecutive seconds of controlling a ball. Once the ball is shot, the offense doesn't control it so Jose's shot would reset it. To add on, it's also suspended once the player in the lane gets the ball and is making a move, so once Banks was passed the ball and he was trying to put up the shot, the 3 seconds wasn't active.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Asanti can play. He was under the radar.

For all the grief that Pastner has taken about not being able to recruit, I loved that Price who most assumed wouldn't be used all that much, was in the game during crunch time.

It says a lot that he played before Shembari or Sjolund. He is going to be a player for us, especially once he gets past the freshman jitters.

He will knock down a lot of three pointers for us this year. Just a beautiful shooting form.