GT 45-UVA 17 #GTvsUVA postgame

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What a relief! We have the right coach tho it make take another year or 2 to be near the top of ACC. Patience .
Now that we are giving consistent effort on both side of the ball, I think we can see what picking up just a few stud players for this team would do. I’ll just throw some numbers out off the top of my head.

Get 3 stud players for the defense and we challenge for the ACC championship. Get 5 stud players over all and we are in the National playoffs.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
We will need a good RB to replace Smith and 5-7 additional defensive players to contend for the ACC next year. Recruiting should really pick up.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Remember, it was the sportswriters that said Colorado won the chip in 1990, when the coaches said that it was us.
And the coaches poll was a very close call because the uga coach didn’t even vote us in the top ten. Had Nebraska not voted us number one we would have lost that one too.

People. What are you gonna do with ‘em.

patrickr21

Georgia Tech Fan
"We run a lot of option elements. Shout out to Coach Johnson - the things he was able to do here for so long."

So good to see CBK embrace CPJ for what he did for Tech football. I don't know why, but I feel like CPJ was so undervalued by so many as a GT HBC. It just is good to hear CBK honor the man.
I posted the same thing in press conference thread. Nice touch by Key!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I really thought Virginia would have more to show us but we really put the wood to them in every quarter. I was distracted getting ready for out of town company so I didn’t see how the two injuries occurred to the UVA running back and QB but I did notice from the opening minute that they were getting hit hard on every play. Between the blitz packages and the stunting defensive line we were getting defenders set up to take some bone rattling shots at people.

In my estimation we started to dominate early on. If not for some dropped passes and an inadvertent face mask penalty we would have led in the first quarter. As it was, the first quarter was more about field position than anything but I felt good about the game long before the first quarter ended.

Y’all we played really hard nosed football for four quarters. UVA was demoralized.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Notice how good are DB's are when the DL is winning their matchups?
Yes. The O and D on a football team are systems. They are composed of interacting processes. The DL that penetrates makes the DB job much easier, and sometimes what looks like a bad DB is really an underperforming DL. All that said, our DB has really come a long way this season on sticking the ball carrier.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes. The O and D on a football team are systems. They are composed of interacting processes. The DL that penetrates makes the DB job much easier, and sometimes what looks like a bad DB is really an underperforming DL. All that said, our DB has really come a long way this season on sticking the ball carrier.
Yep, the more penetration by the DL, the less field a DB has to cover. They can be more aggressive and cover more closely because there’s less chance a receiver will be able to put a final move on a break free behind you. What’s funny is we all know this but still, when a secondary is getting picked apart, we tend to think it’s the DBs.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Win , win,... could we go to Jacksonville?
Never mind.

Lets be realistic
looks like FSU and Louisville. By the way Louisville schedule has 8 home games and 1 neutral game agaist us. Would be interesting to see how we would do in the future with that type of advantage. Of course we do seem better on the road. Fun win yesterday

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am going to tell you how a played a key part in this victory (bad pun intended). At noon yesterday the better half asks me to go to the grocery and pick up a short list of things. One of these items were fresh flowers for the kitchen table. No problem but I realize when I am standing in the checkout line I have red carnations (her favorite). I thought that there should be no way in hell I bring red anything into my house on game day. So, I step out of line (a painful decision) and go back to the floral department wherein the red flowers were dropped as if they were hot. I pick up some yellow mums or daisies or whatever arranged in a bouquet with some other yellow and gold stuff mixed in with them. Yeah, they were $5 more but look what happened yesterday. From this day forward. there will always be a bouquet of yellow flowers on the kitchen table on game day. Until we either lose again or she tells me what color to buy that particular Saturday.

Coach Key, PM me if you want my address to ship me a game ball. For the rest of y'all:

Cedric The Entertainer Comedy GIF by CBS

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
looks like FSU and Louisville. By the way Louisville schedule has 8 home games and 1 neutral game agaist us. Would be interesting to see how we would do in the future with that type of advantage. Of course we do seem better on the road. Fun win yesterday
Yep, some teams look set up to fail with their schedules and some look set up to win it all. But, obviously, in either case the team has to perform.

Y’all are tired of hearing me say this but I still can’t believe how easy uga’s schedule was. They will have to just completely blow it not win another championship. Most of their games were practice games and the few possible challenges left, either in conference, or in a playoff, only require that they get pumped up to maximum effort once or twice out of 15 games.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am going to tell you how a played a key part in this victory (bad pun intended). At noon yesterday the better half asks me to go to the grocery and pick up a short list of things. One of these items were fresh flowers for the kitchen table. No problem but I realize when I am standing in the checkout line I have red carnations (her favorite). I thought that there should be no way in hell I bring red anything into my house on game day. So, I step out of line (a painful decision) and go back to the floral department wherein the red flowers were dropped as if they were hot. I pick up some yellow mums or daisies or whatever arranged in a bouquet with some other yellow and gold stuff mixed in with them. Yeah, they were $5 more but look what happened yesterday. From this day forward. there will always be a bouquet of yellow flowers on the kitchen table on game day. Until we either lose again or she tells me what color to buy that particular Saturday.

Coach Key, PM me if you want my address to ship me a game ball. For the rest of y'all:

Cedric The Entertainer Comedy GIF by CBS
Bravo!

My much smaller part in the victory was to talk down our chances of winning this game every chance I got. The “no way we win this barring some once in a million miracle” talk sets the right karmic tone and has a huge beneficial impact on the outcome of a game.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Most complete game we've played all season. Tackling has definitely improved - not perfect, but guys are doing a much better job of hanging on and not allowing a bunch of extra yards. It was good to see DL guys making plays, that group has been quiet way too much this season. DBs were hitting hard and playing tighter coverage.

Special teams was good again, as they have been most of the season - Efford stood out to me yesterday for his effort there. Not sure what the logic is in the line drive kickoffs we've done the past couple weeks.

And of course the offense was ROLLING. King played well - a couple overthrown balls and one throw into triple coverage that we caught, but everything else was great. 3 big drops from WRs, but they made up for it. The Jamal Haynes/Dontae Smith tandem looked pretty good again, hope fully they can keep it up against the two toughest defenses we will see all season in Clemson and UGA. These last two games imo have really shown how important having a successful ground game is.

On Tatum's interception that was called back for a facemask, did anyone actually see the facemask? Even on the replays I didn't see it, but maybe we just didn't have a good angle. Refs seemed pretty decent otherwise.

Commentators were garbage - calling out wrong player names, and the guy who kept repeating that UVA would get the ball to start the second half...

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys, where are all the comments? The BC postgame thread had 19 pages! Come on, GT fans! (its as if some of y'all only like to complain!) Here are some thoughts on an incredible game:

The Good:
-We are playing tough, smart football. I no longer watch our team and say, "What are you doing?????" This makes the experience, win or lose, so much better for me. Now, of course, tough, smart football is usually going to lead to more wins, so that helps. But I can see a real difference between this team and the previous years. There is a gameplan, there are few mental mistakes, and there is a general common sense to coaching decisions. Praise God!
-Our offense is really rolling in a way I haven't seen since 2014. The difference this time is, though, that we are balanced. The progress that the OLine has made (and the running game in general) has been spectacular. We block hard, run hard, fight for yards, and make teams pay for their mistakes. This, coupled with a few quality receivers who can get separation and a QB who is playing on a high level has led to an offense that is punishing other teams. Do you realize that Haynes King hit 77% of his passes with multiple dropped passes? UVA has a good defense, and we destroyed them over and over. Props to Key, Faulkner, Weinke, Wade, and all the offensive coaches.
-The defense did their job. We had an immediate advantage when their QB went down, but they still had to get the job done. Even through injuries, guys did their jobs, made plays, and limited UVA to only 350 yards. They are still the weak link in our team, but I see improvement, particularly....
-Kyle Efford. This dude had 10 tackles. He was flying all over the place, taking good angles, and meeting the ball carrier with aggression. Some other LBs have disappointed this year, but he has come along nicely. Props to #44.
-Special teams are looking better, too. Besides one longish kick return, there were no big brain farts or obvious screw-ups. Birr has been a revelation, and I no longer go into cold sweats when the FG unit comes on the field.

The Bad:
-We had a few too many penalties. The facemask penalty was a huge one.
-There were some surprising drops from our receivers.
-The aforementioned long kickoff return.

The ugly:
-Pyron throwing the ball on third down at the end. Just run north/south and let the clock expire.

Best all-around game from the team in many years. We just beat an ACC team on the road so badly that our second-team was in for the last 7 minutes of the 4th quarter. That's very, very good. This was, in my opinion, as big a win as both the Miami and UNC wins. Those were better teams, but this was a blowout against an ACC team that (let's be honest) we were sure we would beat.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Most complete game we've played all season. Tackling has definitely improved - not perfect, but guys are doing a much better job of hanging on and not allowing a bunch of extra yards. It was good to see DL guys making plays, that group has been quiet way too much this season. DBs were hitting hard and playing tighter coverage.

Special teams was good again, as they have been most of the season - Efford stood out to me yesterday for his effort there. Not sure what the logic is in the line drive kickoffs we've done the past couple weeks.

And of course the offense was ROLLING. King played well - a couple overthrown balls and one throw into triple coverage that we caught, but everything else was great. 3 big drops from WRs, but they made up for it. The Jamal Haynes/Dontae Smith tandem looked pretty good again, hope fully they can keep it up against the two toughest defenses we will see all season in Clemson and UGA. These last two games imo have really shown how important having a successful ground game is.

On Tatum's interception that was called back for a facemask, did anyone actually see the facemask? Even on the replays I didn't see it, but maybe we just didn't have a good angle. Refs seemed pretty decent otherwise.

Commentators were garbage - calling out wrong player names, and the guy who kept repeating that UVA would get the ball to start the second half...
There were a lot of face mask calls against both teams. Everyone, from what I could see, were legitimate calls. Defenders playing hard and trying to reach out and grab a ball carrier just happened to have their hands go in the wrong place. I’m not sure there is a way to coach this not happening. If a player were to stop and ponder where he was going to place his hand the ball carrier would be long gone.

But, yes, they looked like good calls. I was more pleased with the refs in this game than any other game this season.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Now that we are giving consistent effort on both side of the ball, I think we can see what picking up just a few stud players for this team would do. I’ll just throw some numbers out off the top of my head.

Get 3 stud players for the defense and we challenge for the ACC championship. Get 5 stud players over all and we are in the National playoffs.
I'm beginning to have as much anticipation for Dec/Jan as I am the rest of our season. Have to believe players are going to see the potential for this team and championships and hopefully the administration has done their money lineups, have heard they have done so - hope my info is reliable. The turn arounds can be quick these days, TN did it.