GT (-44) vs. Alcorn State

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not touching our game. Way to many points and I think CPJ pulls first string early. As for the others I'm taking UNCheat +3. L'ville +11. Tulane +9 and Ucla-17. As for the other Thursday games I like Utah -5. Western Ky +1. I may have a grambling problem and drink to much crown royal but you only live once.
If we do that well, and I am too cautious to think that, it will be interesting to see how long Johnson leaves Thomas in to get game ready, and whether, if he is left in, he will chance him behind the 2-3 deep O line. It might lead to keeping his starters in longer than necessary to protect his QB.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My first reaction was 44 was too much. We didn't beat anyone in 2014 anywhere close to that.

But in 2013 here were 3 games where we did better: Elon 70-0; Syracuse 56-0; Alabama A&M 66-7.

So 44 probably isn't a bad mean but the variance is got to be really large.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Holy Cow. If you read this board you will understand why the ACC is undervalued. If we don't believe in our own teams, how in the heck to expect the betting public to?

I have no idea how these games will turn out, but I have a few thoughts / instincts. First of all, forget about the spreads. I think in terms of games won or lost period. That is sports, not betting.

I would not even bat an eye if UNC beat USC and handily. I am not sure where the ACC pessimism is coming from for this match up.

What was the spread last year when VT took it to OSU at their place? Once again, forget about it. VT plays DEFENSE and defense keeps you in games. Teams typically struggle a little longer to start the year on the O side of the ball. This game is a toss up in my eyes. TOSS.......UP. Sure OSU wants the revenge, but do you really think VT doesn't want to validate that W last year with the national champs looking across the line? Foster's group will be sky high coming into this one.

I don't know much about L'ville or Allbarn this year, but one thing is for certain, SEC teams are always OVER-RATED, regardless of what time of year it is. This game is a crap shoot for me.

Duke beats the Wave

UVA can play defense too. They will be in the game.

I doubt we win them all, but I would be shocked if we got over-run as a conference on this day.

The VT vs OSU game last year was interesting, but it has no effect whatsoever on this year's game except that maybe it motivates the Buckeyes even more.

"Toss up" is a bit bold. Let's say VT keeps it close and maybe surprises...at best

In reality, they lose by 17+

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Vpi was easily the best D, tOSU faced last year. The B1G was not strong on D. TOSU also had some kinks to work out, esp on D.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
My guesses.

I think VT will be good next year. And their D will be stout. But OhSt should be a top 5 team. VT loses unless they play a near perfect game. VT turns the ball over more than once and they will get routed.

Lville and Aubie is a toss up.

Duke beats Tulane.

UNC USCe is a toss up...except for coaching. The old ball coach wins this one.

UVA v UCLA.....I actually think UVA might have more talent....so I'm tempted to pick UVA....London is a boob though so....I would pick UCLA....except...UVA has Tenuta and their strength is on D....so I'm picking UVA in a upset. .......(Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha....:dead:)

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
How much talent did UVA keep on defense? I know they have that good safety Blanding. They're facing a true freshman QB and they actually played UCLA close last year because of the number of mistakes UCLA made on offense

BuzzbaitGT

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought you just meant that the players physically beat Spurrier and the game is forfeited.

I do not know much about Louisville, but I actually think Auburn will be pretty good this year, so I will take them and, in fact, I hope they win. I actually dislike Petrino more than I care about the ACC (especially a team we are unlikely to play even if it could decrease our strength of schedule some). The UNC game is much more important to GT's SoS than the Louisville game. I think people like Petrino should not be allowed to shape the minds of our youth. Sorry for the rant. Carry on...

+1 on scumbucket Petrino. Root for the meteor on this one.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
How much talent did UVA keep on defense? I know they have that good safety Blanding. They're facing a true freshman QB and they actually played UCLA close last year because of the number of mistakes UCLA made on offense
This is UVa's 3rd year with Tenuta's defense. UCLA will be starting a true freshman QB. Does anyone remember what Tenuta did to young QBs? UVa may win this game on D.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'll be very surprised if we beat Alcorn by any 44 points. They were conference champs last year and won 10 games. The comparison with Bama A&M is misplaced; those guys were one of the worse coached teams I've ever seen. Based on talent alone we should win by a couple of TDs, but we have a lot of inexperienced skill players this year and I certainly don't expect the O to run as efficiently early on. We have to hope that the D plays to expectations. If so, we should win handily. If not this could be a closer game then any of us would like.

But … like I always say, I'll take one point win. It winning that counts, not score margin.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My lord, talking about a 1 point win????? Only some Tech fans would even bring that up! SMH
As an old jacket fan, you must remember the Furman fiasco during Bill Curry's time at Tech. Ever since then, I've been apprehensive about playing good teams from the second tier early. My misgivings were almost proven true last year in our game with GSU.

I'm never easy in my seat when we go up against a team with confidence and a decent QB. We should win handily, but, again, that'll be if the D shows up early and is consistent. So, yes, I'll take a one point win and be happy about it.