GT (-44) vs. Alcorn State

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
What's more important, getting a lot of guys reps or getting the starters enough reps to build chemistry?

In this scenario I'd go with getting guys reps to build depth.

IMO, the only reasonable chance for an upset would be Louisville, but I don't have alot of facts to back that up ...

I think UNC and UVA will have new coaches soon and VT is all about Bud Foster.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
That's a lot of possessions for our offense in a half.

And if it goes 21 - 7 in the second half they cover.

We were beating GS 35-10 at half this past year. I'm predicting AS is worse than GS, and we'll be better than we were on both O and D at that time.

We should score quickly against them, and if our D gets quick stops it could be worse.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not much for conference homerism, but we REALLY need our ACC brethren to do well OOC, especially against the Special Ed Conference. The perception out there on the relative weakness of the ACC is ridiculous. It's going take a lot of winning on a consistent basis to move the needle. This year, it starts with UNC taking care of the roosters and Luhville taking care of the cats. It makes me want to vomit, but I'll be rooting for Duke over Tulane as well. I don't hold much hope, but UVA over UCLA would be nice. When the bottom of your conference does well OOC, it boost the depth perception and can only help come selection time.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Holy Cow. If you read this board you will understand why the ACC is undervalued. If we don't believe in our own teams, how in the heck to expect the betting public to?

I have no idea how these games will turn out, but I have a few thoughts / instincts. First of all, forget about the spreads. I think in terms of games won or lost period. That is sports, not betting.

I would not even bat an eye if UNC beat USC and handily. I am not sure where the ACC pessimism is coming from for this match up.

What was the spread last year when VT took it to OSU at their place? Once again, forget about it. VT plays DEFENSE and defense keeps you in games. Teams typically struggle a little longer to start the year on the O side of the ball. This game is a toss up in my eyes. TOSS.......UP. Sure OSU wants the revenge, but do you really think VT doesn't want to validate that W last year with the national champs looking across the line? Foster's group will be sky high coming into this one.

I don't know much about L'ville or Allbarn this year, but one thing is for certain, SEC teams are always OVER-RATED, regardless of what time of year it is. This game is a crap shoot for me.

Duke beats the Wave

UVA can play defense too. They will be in the game.

I doubt we win them all, but I would be shocked if we got over-run as a conference on this day.

Carober18

Georgia Tech Fan
Spurrier coaches Carolina.

I thought you just meant that the players physically beat Spurrier and the game is forfeited.

Holy Cow. If you read this board you will understand why the ACC is undervalued. If we don't believe in our own teams, how in the heck to expect the betting public to?

I think UNC has a really good chance to beat USC (sorry, Eastman).

Ohio State returns something like 18 of 22 starters, so VT could be really good, play well and lose. But, they could also win and it would not surprise me that much if they did. So, I kind of agree.

I do not know much about Louisville, but I actually think Auburn will be pretty good this year, so I will take them and, in fact, I hope they win. I actually dislike Petrino more than I care about the ACC (especially a team we are unlikely to play even if it could decrease our strength of schedule some). The UNC game is much more important to GT's SoS than the Louisville game. I think people like Petrino should not be allowed to shape the minds of our youth. Sorry for the rant. Carry on...

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Spurrier knows who his qb will be. I do know Marquis Williams can exploit a suspect defense.

The QB spot is definitely a question mark with major concerns and after last year's questionable defense, there are a lot of concerned Gamecocks around here. I would think that UNC would have a strong chance to win this time but soon we will know.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The QB spot is definitely a question mark with major concerns and after last year's questionable defense, there are a lot of concerned Gamecocks around here. I would think that UNC would have a strong chance to win this time but soon we will know.

Yeah, South Carolina's defense was worse than ours. I don't know anything about who they have coming back or what explains it, but they were bad. According to footballoutsiders' Defensive FEI stat, they were #117, even worse than North Carolina at #114. However, their offense was really good, #4 in Offensive FEI, UNC was #30.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, South Carolina's defense was worse than ours. I don't know anything about who they have coming back or what explains it, but they were bad. According to footballoutsiders' Defensive FEI stat, they were #117, even worse than North Carolina at #114. However, their offense was really good, #4 in Offensive FEI, UNC was #30.
Wow. UNC wasn't a top 20 offense? Knew our D had problems vs them 2/3 last years, monsoon in 1/3, I thought they would have registered better than that.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Rats. Acc is underdog in 4 out of 5 and if we drop them all the storyline will be how bad the league is. Moreover, I am not at all certain that Tulane won't upset Duke (I am NOT sold on Duke, and think Tulane will be better than last year...not great, but better.)

We need to pick off one or two of these games...
I'm trying very hard to root for UNC vs. SC, mostly to hear the Head Ball Coach go off and to keep the ACC ball rolling. The result is I won't be bothered if they lose but if they win that's kind of okay too. If only they will shut up about it.