GT (-44) vs. Alcorn State

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I just got a text from a friend on staff. He says that the players are absolutely sick of practice and ready to play somebody.

Obviously, this is cliche' at this time of year. Every team is tired of hitting the same guys day after day. But, in context it had a little ummmph to it. I think they guys are fired up and ready to play.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
As an old jacket fan, you must remember the Furman fiasco during Bill Curry's time at Tech. Ever since then, I've been apprehensive about playing good teams from the second tier early. My misgivings were almost proven true last year in our game with GSU.

I'm never easy in my seat when we go up against a team with confidence and a decent QB. We should win handily, but, again, that'll be if the D shows up early and is consistent. So, yes, I'll take a one point win and be happy about it.

Yes I remember it quite well as I was there for that fiasco. It was my first introduction Bobby Johnson and his coaching acumen. I talked to him about that game many years later when Vandy was recruiting my son. It still brings a smile to him. Having said that there is simply no comparison from that team to this team, the talent difference is almost beyond measure. GSU was down 35-7 last year at halftime and only because the team had not yet come together did the 2nd half fiasco occur. The players and coaches showed last year they are a force to be reckoned with and I've no doubt they will take care of business Thursday night.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I am still puzzled at how bad we were in the 2nd half against GSU. To me a lot had to do with Fritz and 2nd half adjustments. But to have both O and D reverse as they did is hard to understand. We were so close to losing that game. Talk about a game of inches, both the recovered lateral and the final TD, which was close to being intercepted.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am still puzzled at how bad we were in the 2nd half against GSU.

Don't be. I have seen it happen so many times with young people. I have always tried to impress upon my players that once you lose your focused intensity, it is really really hard to get it back. Many youngsters think they are just equipped with a switch and they can flip it on whenever they want. Having coached athletes for years, I can tell you it doesn't work like that. At halftime we thought we had the game in hand. End of story. Lesson learned.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yep, they were playing "know when to hold em, know when to fold em". They were motivating their players and demotivating ours.

Paul Johnson doesn't run up the score unless it's against someone he really doesn't like. I think we will win comfortably, but I'm not sure of covering this one.

The only other one that gets my attention is Louisville - Auburn. I don't know who returns, but I'd say that's a toss up.
There is nothing to be gained by embarrassing another program in a match-up such as this. Get the team some work, keep everyone healthy, get a chance to play as many kids as possible.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We won't run the score up for the sake of doing so. But we will give tons of reps to guys that need it. We have to with all of the new skill guys. I don't see us taking foot off pedal till middle of the 4th qtr..maybe the middle of it. JT might be done at halftime but no one else. The score might be huge for that reason. 44 is a ton of points but I just might have to take the over.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Auburn should beat Louisville by 3 touchdowns.

I don't understand the love fest for Auburn this year. I got several friends who are Auburn grads and even they aren't buying all the hype they are getting this year. I know they recruit well and have the QB who hasn't played yet, but is already professed as the Heisman winner. This a team coming off a 7-5 season correct? Their defense was not very good and I cant see it being a total turnaround in 1 year, even with Muschamp. In their last 7 games they gave up 38/35/31/41/34/55/34 pts on D. I see Auburn losing at least 3 games this year.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We won't run the score up for the sake of doing so. But we will give tons of reps to guys that need it. We have to with all of the new skill guys. I don't see us taking foot off pedal till middle of the 4th qtr..maybe the middle of it. JT might be done at halftime but no one else. The score might be huge for that reason. 44 is a ton of points but I just might have to take the over.

I agree. We need lots of looks at our regular ABs, BBs, and WRs. We need to do what we need to do. We can sub at QB and OL early but that may not slow down the train. Roof plays a lot of backups on D anyway and that will not change. Otherwise take a knee inside of a minute. Alcorn has to look after their own objectives.