GT (-3.5) at USF

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
With th he bulls smallish dl they will need help in the box.
If we still have utm drives, they will be gassed in 3rd as we rotate in our other ol guys.

If they stuff us and start passing deep, we may not catch up.

I hope we get some 2 nd and short so tqm can hit some 7yd quick passes to our wr. This will add another wrinkle for the rest of year.

Come on ol!

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Actually it shows how much the gamblers think of our team. Tech fans are too frugal to bet so Vegas has to sweeten the spread to get those bets on Tech. Rabid fan bases like Clem, mutts, and Bama sway spreads for their teams be they favored or dogs.

Can’t blame gamblers too much for not buying in due to our inconsistency in W/Ls every year.

Too frugal my @$$ I have action every weekend haha

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@bullsbucsfan426 The Alcorn QB did miss some open receivers. They were not wide open, but open enough for a reception. I believe the USF QB would have made those passes. These were not TD passes, but 5 to 10 yard passes.

I can't say GT hurried the QB a lot, but I think he was feeling the pressure to get the ball out. No doubt USF will score on our new defense. The question is will it be 21 or 38 points on 9 to 10 possessions?

slugboy

Staff member
We are best when we throw less

Yeah, but...
It’s not so much that running causes winning; it’s the opposite, and it’s not just us. When you’re winning, you can run and grind the other team down, if you’re a team that CAN run.
To win, we have to take whatever is there, and if USF is crowding the run and the opportunities are through the air, we gotta throw for dough.
Not having that threat lost us Miami last year, at least.
It’s a key part of our offense. Otherwise, we’d have two super blocking linebackers out at WR and just have them block 100% of the time.
That’s why Camp is so exciting (and Cottrell and Searcy). You want that BeyBey receiver that the other team has to scheme for. Ideally, you have two WRs and multiple ABacks that the other D has to stay honest against.
USF crashes the line. I’ve seen them send 6. If they put 7 or 8 in the box, you want that Camp or Stewart 15 yard pass that goes for 70 yards. And that’s when we win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Out of curiosity, I looked at USF's recruiting the past 5 years. From a talent standpoint (in terms of recruiting), GT should have the advantage....but not by much (according to 247 rankings):

USF GT
2014 42 54
2015 66 44
2016 66 60
2017 76 48
2018 64 54
AVG 62.8 52

GT over the last 5 years has only recruited on average 1 band better than USF. IMO, that one band difference can be outweighed by good coaching, and having a special "difference maker", or upper classman dominant team. What this tells me is USF is going to be a battle, and GT needs to take this game seriously, especially since it's at USF, or else we are going to driving back up I-75 with some hurt feelings.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
@bullsbucsfan426 The Alcorn QB did miss some open receivers. They were not wide open, but open enough for a reception. I believe the USF QB would have made those passes. These were not TD passes, but 5 to 10 yard passes.

I can't say GT hurried the QB a lot, but I think he was feeling the pressure to get the ball out. No doubt USF will score on our new defense. The question is will it be 21 or 38 points on 9 to 10 possessions?

Do you think they’ll get that many possessions? Won’t we want to play ball control against these guys? I’ve seen drives that have eaten nearly an entire quarter.

slugboy

Staff member
Out of curiosity, I looked at USF's recruiting the past 5 years. From a talent standpoint (in terms of recruiting), GT should have the advantage....but not by much (according to 247 rankings):

USF GT
2014 42 54
2015 66 44
2016 66 60
2017 76 48
2018 64 54
AVG 62.8 52

GT over the last 5 years has only recruited on average 1 band better than USF. IMO, that one band difference can be outweighed by good coaching, and having a special "difference maker", or upper classman dominant team. What this tells me is USF is going to be a battle, and GT needs to take this game seriously, especially since it's at USF, or else we are going to driving back up I-75 with some hurt feelings.

Does that factor in transfers? If not, there’s a 5* and some other high ranked transfers

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
No games in 2017 less than 10...

Out of curiosity, do you know what the lowest was in the CPJ era? I don’t think our defense was great, and we turned the call over a lot last year. That puts pressure on the offense to make longer plays and eat less clock. My perfect game for this scheme would be 28-12. 2 possessions a half with the other guys settling for field goals. A man can dream.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
I just watched the first half of the USF game against Elon. Offense is very similar to Clemson or UNC: quick hitch, quick hitch, deep down the sideline. They’ll keep you honest in the middle of the defense with RPOs and a quick pace. It will be a test for our young secondary. Elon was only able to blow-up one quick hitch that I saw in the first half and weren’t able to cover deep. The receivers look good and Barnett was able to throw accurately. But I’ll say this he did not throw one pass with a guy in his face and with the exception of a couple throws downfield, everyone was open. He threw one slant, no crossers, no skinny posts, no back shoulders. (I might have missed a throw or two because I was fast forwarding through most of their defensive possessions but I definitely saw most of his passes). It’s really hard to say if Barnett is a good quarterback after watching this game, you can rack up easy stats in an offense like this when you have perfect protection and your receivers are superior athletes.

I’m interested to see if our Dline can penetrate the pocket quickly and/or if Woody can dial up blitzes to get in the face of a QB who’s getting The ball out quick. It’s been a headache playing teams like this over the last decade. Not being able to generate quick pressure and then not being able to cover tightly enough to defend a variety of routes and make open field tackles. I liked the way our secondary came up and made tackles Saturday but these receivers are much more capable than Alcorn’s. This will be a great test for our defense and I’m excited to see how a Woody coached defense deals with an offense like this because we’ll see it again this year.

From an offensive perspective, I watched USF’s defense enough to know that they don’t have anybody like Kyle Van Noy, Jaylen Smith, Roquon Smith, or Jeremy Cash. I agree with an earlier poster, that those types of guys can Give us problems. They seemed pretty average across the board but of course if they have a clue we’ll have to at least ‘not beat ourselves’ which we’ve had a tendency to do at times.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
USF brings in quite a few transfers I think. I think they have 2 DL who transferred from Duke.

Here is an interesting datum:
48% of our 1st half running plays on Saturday resulted in either a 1st down or a touchdown.​

Here's another:

In the 1st half, we averaged 8.9 yds/ carry as a team.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
My understanding is that Florida has late afternoon thundershowers most days (confirmation, please). With that, I'd rather a Noon kick-off than a 3:00 or 3:30 pm kick-off. Lower chance of precipitation.
I will confirm that...normally very isolated fast moving storms that come through around 3:30 or 4:00 pm. Rains like crazy for 15 or 20 minutes, then nothing but steam......

slugboy

Staff member
Well... We've beaten both programs before... Then we lost our Head Coach Jim Leavitt. We wish to have him back but never will.

Yep, remember him. He did a great build down there. And I don’t think there’s any way he can come back there. Not sure he can head coach again.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Yep, remember him. He did a great build down there. And I don’t think there’s any way he can come back there. Not sure he can head coach again.

He'll be the head coach at K state