GT (-3.5) at USF

bullsbucsfan426

Georgia Tech Fan
I'd take the over on that bet (if I were a betting man). Our offense is just really tough to stop for teams we don't play on a regular basis and USF's run defense is proving to be a concern for a lot of their fans. We'll score at minimum 28 points on offense just based on our history against opponents we don't usually play (average of something like 35+ pts/gm for the last 6 seasons from my cursory math). I'll also put trust in our defense to cause enough havoc that USF doesn't get settled into a groove offensively.

That being said, I am very concerned about the high potential of rain. Our record in the rain is not great. But it affects both teams.

Your point is noted. I'll observe here that in 2016, when our defense was absolutely atrocious and had just been run on for 300 yards at Temple, we came out and knocked Navy out of the game in the first quarter (it was 28-0). They did come back to lose by 7 (final TD as time expired), but the game was never really in doubt and they had to throw their way back into even having a remote chance.

GT will of course be a challenge, the triple option is always a challenge and winning an FCS game tells you almost nothing about a team. My guess is that it was a significant point of preparation in camp, but the D-line will need to have a very good day. The point someone else was making about running the b-back up the middle is probably what GT will target as we have young, undersized DTs.

Blake Barnett was a welcome relief-he looked confident and poised in the pocket, so as long as he has time to spare I think he will play well against GT. You did well against Alcorn State, but the question for me is that completion percentage-they had no YPA, but they had to be doing something right to complete 15 of 23 passes.

Lastly, are you concerned at all about losing three turnovers? Or will it get cleaned up this week?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
My understanding is that Florida has late afternoon thundershowers most days (confirmation, please). With that, I'd rather a Noon kick-off than a 3:00 or 3:30 pm kick-off. Lower chance of precipitation.

Correct about the pop up thunderstorms.

The peak of hurricane season is September 10th so why did we schedule games with UCF and USF in September? Hindsight is 20/20 but maybe we need to think about this moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am always concerned with turnovers. I would expect 1 exchange/handoff or snap issue given what I saw yesterday.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Kenny Cooper, our normal center. It means Lee will probably start at center leaving the right side of the line a little thin.

We have been really snakebit on the OL for a couple years now, it seems. A healthy Braun, Lee, and Cooper would be stout in the middle. Hope he can come back healthy soon.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
So 3.5 pt fave on the road would be a 6.5 pt fave on a neutral field or about 9.5 pt fave at home. When you think about it like that it seems a touch high. Wouldn't be surprised to see this drop a little

Exactly. I'm thinking a 6 point favorite at home makes sense and pick at their place makes sense. -3.5 should and will fall to about -1.5 or -2

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
These road noon games in the heat are getting ridiculous. I'm not gonna put up with this crap much longer.

Am I doing it right?
Nope! Road nooners are okay. It's home noon or 12:30 games in September you have to complain about. Come down and sit in the sun with heat index running from 88-98F and you will remember/understand. [emoji39]

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Bulls Fan here... Our first game against Elon was a test to see how our freshman play. The whole 2nd half was our 2nd team basically. BB can drop dimes no problem and we have a really good receiving core. USF fans don't like Kean. If you have any questions please ask.
Also our fan Forum is www.thebullspen.com
First Welcome , now you don't know me but that is ok I know who I am. I only speak the truth but no Spanish > A little about Georgia Tech to get on everyone's good side please call us Georgia Tech University. We are a passing team most of our passes are to our tight ends, Slippery Hands Splatt and Whoops Again Lamar. Now both have Zero catches but they do look great in our new uniforms, both were rated 1/2 stars out of high school. Being another noon kickoff I'm sure we will have 25,000 drive down to see the game, we love noon games. If you need more information let me know later but it's late and i'm old and going to bed.

TheBullsFan

Georgia Tech Fan
First Welcome , now you don't know me but that is ok I know who I am. I only speak the truth but no Spanish > A little about Georgia Tech to get on everyone's good side please call us Georgia Tech University. We are a passing team most of our passes are to our tight ends, Slippery Hands Splatt and Whoops Again Lamar. Now both have Zero catches but they do look great in our new uniforms, both were rated 1/2 stars out of high school. Being another noon kickoff I'm sure we will have 25,000 drive down to see the game, we love noon games. If you need more information let me know later but it's late and i'm old and going to bed.
:beercheers: cheers. It shall be very hot and the concrete at Ray Jay will only make it hotter...

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Did y’all realize we are playing three teams this year that we’ve never played in our very long history? USF, Bowling Green, and Louisville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang. I didn't realize that... that's kind of cool.

TheBullsFan

Georgia Tech Fan
We should be able to win this game by about 10 IMO.
Not so fast... Thats what the Gamecocks and TT thought. If our Defense can play assignment football the Bulls should win. I know I'm not going to convince you of this and you'll probably reject my reality and substitute your own.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
USF has been good the past few years because of their dynamic Lamar-Jackson-like Quarterback Quinton Flowers, but he’s a Cincinnati Bengal now. Charlie Strong or not, they’re back to their same old middle-of-the-AAC selves.

ESPN doesn’t even give them much of a chance. Not to be overconfident but I’m traveling to Tampa and expecting the Ramblin Wreck to roll!
ecfade8afc24b035c958757b56e33c56.png

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
:beercheers: cheers. It shall be very hot and the concrete at Ray Jay will only make it hotter...

I hope you don't have astro turf super glued to concrete like Bobby Dodd was a few years ago - well actually a couple of centuries ago when I was there.

I do remember the heat waves coming off that concrete. Or was that bourbon haze? Actually not sure - maybe both. ;)

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Given we have pretty much a whole new defensive backfield I am worried about a kid who threw for 300 yards against anyone - even my old high school team. Throw in a whole new defensive scheme and enough to get worried.

I do think we run the base offense close to at will against them. Will be curious to see what the over/under is.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not so fast... Thats what the Gamecocks and TT thought. If our Defense can play assignment football the Bulls should win. I know I'm not going to convince you of this and you'll probably reject my reality and substitute your own.

This assignment football thing is funny. You stop the option by beating blocks just like every other offense. If you don't beat blocks and our QB makes the right read it doesn't make a difference if you played your assignment or not.

If you want to stop us blow up the point of attack. If you can't do that then hope for turnovers or just plain out score us.

As far as the line I'm shocked were favored.