GT (-3.5) at USF

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Bulls Fan here... Our first game against Elon was a test to see how our freshman play. The whole 2nd half was our 2nd team basically. BB can drop dimes no problem and we have a really good receiving core. USF fans don't like Kean. If you have any questions please ask.
Also our fan Forum is www.thebullspen.com

Classy dude. Thanks for the info @TheBullsFan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I agree. The only issue to over is the number of possessions. If we have 3 or 4 8 min drives then maybe not.

I doubt we have many drives over 5 min. This year. We almost dont want that, more chances for a dumb fumble. Of course we would love to win a game 28-10 and have the ball for 65% of the time, but our bbacks have shown they cannot hold onto the ball. We need to get a good lead early and hang on for dear life.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I doubt we have many drives over 5 min. This year. We almost dont want that, more chances for a dumb fumble. Of course we would love to win a game 28-10 and have the ball for 65% of the time, but our bbacks have shown they cannot hold onto the ball. We need to get a good lead early and hang on for dear life.

I think just the opposite.

With our aggressive D emphasizing penetrating gaps and swarming to the ball, it becomes more important to give our D more rest between series, imo.

We want the clock and limited possessions to add to the pressure on opposition O.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I think just the opposite.

With our aggressive D emphasizing penetrating gaps and swarming to the ball, it becomes more important to give our D more rest between series, imo.

We want the clock and limited possessions to add to the pressure on opposition O.

I agree, I just feel our offense will not be that great this year. Just a feeling we almost see a regression instead of an improvement and we dont see a 2009/2014 year until graham is under center.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree, I just feel our offense will not be that great this year. Just a feeling we almost see a regression instead of an improvement and we dont see a 2009/2014 year until graham is under center.

I don't think anyone saw the Orange Bowl coming in 2014 after Wofford and GSouthern.

It's too early to declare what our team will be 2018.

I am confident that CPJ will give our O the best chance to be successful as CNW will our D.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
So 3.5 pt fave on the road would be a 6.5 pt fave on a neutral field or about 9.5 pt fave at home. When you think about it like that it seems a touch high. Wouldn't be surprised to see this drop a little
From my experience home field is a 3-4 point swing (typically) I think if we were at home we'd be favored by 7, maybe with the hook at 7.5. Either way I agree it is a little high, but I think GT wins going away because they play no defense and we will keep them off the field.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
His rationale is ludicrous. We struggle to move the ball against teams with elite athletes (which makes me think Clemson or UGA last year). He is saying USF has elite athletes.

He doesn't give any in-depth analysis. Just spits out a bunch of meaningless, first game stats and guesses to take USF. Doesn't seem to know very much.

TheBullsFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Yep, remember him. He did a great build down there. And I don’t think there’s any way he can come back there. Not sure he can head coach again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh we know he'll never be back and he shouldn't have been fired. That player was a crybaby and his father was in it for the money. Now no one will hire him and he's kinda just floating in the world (Tampa Area).

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, we aren't that Orlando school that pronounces things into reality. *ahem* National Champions.

You know, honestly I can't blame them. I personally wouldn't have voted them #1, but they gave a damned good accounting of themselves going undefeated and beating the team that beat both of the teams in the NC game. You have to give them credit. I know their schedule wasn't so difficult overall, but that was hardly their fault. I know some say they ducked us, but they had us on their schedule to begin with. And honestly would probably have beaten us. Yeah, and maybe Auburn wasn't so fired up to play them but that wasn't their fault, either.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You know, honestly I can't blame them. I personally wouldn't have voted them #1, but they gave a damned good accounting of themselves going undefeated and beating the team that beat both of the teams in the NC game. You have to give them credit. I know their schedule wasn't so difficult overall, but that was hardly their fault. I know some say they ducked us, but they had us on their schedule to begin with. And honestly would probably have beaten us. Yeah, and maybe Auburn wasn't so fired up to play them but that wasn't their fault, either.

I still think we would've beat them, but I agree with your logic.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I see the game as a good test of what Woody's D will be like. I don't think they showed nearly anything against Alcorn, they didn't have to. For USF, Barnett is still somewhat inexperienced as a game day QB, so I am looking for some surprises from Woody. If it's even or within 7 either way at half, we win. If we pull a " Roof " and get behind by 14+ , we will lose. IMHO.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
In the early days of USF Football, the Bulls ran up against Johnson's offense twice when he ran the Georgia Southern program. The Bulls lost two heartbreaking games to the Eagles, 24-23 in 1997 and 28-23 in 1998.

Here are a few bits of trivia for week 2, starting with the game landing on what has been a happy day for USF over the years:

This game will be played on the anniversary of two of the greatest USF wins ever. On Sept. 8, 2001, USF beat Pittsburgh, 35-26, at Heinz Field. On Sept. 8, 2007, USF beat Auburn, 26-23, in overtime. There's one more USF win on Sept. 8, the 32-31 victory over Nevada in 2012. All in all, it's a pretty good precedent for our game this week.
  • The Bulls have won five of their last six games against Power Five opponents, including bowl wins over South Carolina and Texas Tech.
  • USF is 29-6 in its last 35 games.
  • Expect to see two great ground games. Both USF and Georgia Tech rushing offenses ranked in the top 10 nationally in each of the last three seasons. Air Force and Navy are the only other programs that can make that claim.
The Bulls are 17-3 in their last 20 games at Raymond James Stadium

Our Jackets will need to bring their A game.