GT (+11) vs. Georgia

Jmonty71

Banned
Is this sad? Have a Ugag buddy willing to bet and give me 20 points. I am leery about taking this bet. Not when I feel like we are going to lose by 30. But, its been a weird year, so I don't know. Thoughts???

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Is this sad? Have a Ugag buddy willing to bet and give me 20 points. I am leery about taking this bet. Not when I feel like we are going to lose by 30. But, its been a weird year, so I don't know. Thoughts???
Take it. If we win it'll be even sweeter

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I had someone do this a few years back 2012 I think . Wanted to give 14 points to take Tech and he would take uga. Just to see what he would do I said I'll take uga and give you the 14 points. He said no he would need 24 points . Which at that time I said good I'll take Tech and 24 points. Needless to say and very sad the 24 points was not enough we lost by over 30 .

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This has been one strange season. If Benson has a decent day Saturday, we will have two 1,000 yard rushers for the second time under CPJ. (Nesbit and Dwyer in 2009) Both statistically and by the eyeball we have a much better defense than we have had in any recent year, maybe the best since Paul has been here. I don't know for sure, but I think the number of big plays are about where they usually are. And here we sit 5-5.

Even as I watched that horrid thing Saturday, I was sure we wouldn't look like that against the Dogs. We will be ready to play and give a VT game like effort. But I'm not sure we can pull off the win, even if we play well. I don't think we will see a blowout. That could happen if we get a couple of TDs behind and make some mistakes, but otherwise I expect a fairly close game. This year's team it totally different on the road, but we will be at home. I think I'd take the Tech plus 11

THWG

Helluva Engineer
This has been one strange season. If Benson has a decent day Saturday, we will have two 1,000 yard rushers for the second time under CPJ. (Nesbit and Dwyer in 2009) Both statistically and by the eyeball we have a much better defense than we have had in any recent year, maybe the best since Paul has been here. I don't know for sure, but I think the number of big plays are about where they usually are. And here we sit 5-5.

Even as I watched that horrid thing Saturday, I was sure we wouldn't look like that against the Dogs. We will be ready to play and give a VT game like effort. But I'm not sure we can pull off the win, even if we play well. I don't think we will see a blowout. That could happen if we get a couple of TDs behind and make some mistakes, but otherwise I expect a fairly close game. This year's team it totally different on the road, but we will be at home. I think I'd take the Tech plus 11
I think that Benson already got his 1,000 yards against Duke.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
TM Quote from AJC
“Honestly, you win this one, the other ones don’t matter that you lost,” he said. “That’s really how it is. I mean, it’s Georgia. You’re the state champ. Nobody else will really care about the games you lost. That’s how I look at it.”

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
UGa is good, but beatable. Need to tighten up on special teams & get a pick or two. Hopefully this line trickles up & I can grab +14 on Sat.

I am really down on this team but I can see (in typical Techmite fashion,) them going out and either beating UGA or losing a nail biter. That said, the only way we can hang close is to move the damn football, limit their possessions, and pray for a couple of foolish UGA turnovers with a few typically stupid penalties and we might have a chance. All of which will be for naught if we come out and play like we did against Duke. In which case, the 20 point cushion jmonty is discussing will be through before the end of the first half.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
TM Quote from AJC
“Honestly, you win this one, the other ones don’t matter that you lost,” he said. “That’s really how it is. I mean, it’s Georgia. You’re the state champ. Nobody else will really care about the games you lost. That’s how I look at it.”

He's right you know. Win COFH and Duke will be a distant memory. Beating Georgia is about like beating Clemson, Miami, Virginia Tech and winning the ACC all wrapped up in one package. Personally, ACC championships are very nice but I would rather beat Georgia but it is close.

buzzwilder

Georgia Tech Fan
We obviously crapped the bed vs Duke, but I think that game is making some of our fans suffer from recency bias. I'm glass half full, and like to think we're the team that lead UT & UM the entire games and are just a few plays away from being 8-2. Strange as it sounds I'd rather be an 11 pt dog in this game than an 11 pt fave. I've told my non-GT buddies for years to never bet on us when favored and always bet on us when an underdog. Stick to that & you'll make a little money.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I am honestly perplexed. Serious question... did the Duke game by itself damage folks' confidence in GT this year? Or was that your stance regardless of the Duke result?

The Duke result.

We shouldn't lose like that the week before we play the Dwags. I went back to check every game right before the UGa game and we rarely lose that week and when we do, its not by much.

There are losses I hate (UT, Miami), losses I don't like but can accept as an upset (UVa) and then there was the Duke loss. I just can't make any sense of it. CPJ acts like he's on death row in his post-practice presser. I don't think Uga is more than 14 points better than we are which is thoroughly within upset striking distance but after watching us toss our helmets on the field in the 2nd half against Duke, I'm not sure how badly we want it.

I'll reassess when I see how they come out of the locker room this Saturday.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
This GT team shows flashes of brilliance, but often lacks resilience.
The offense has shown they can death-march on anyone and hit big plays, while the defense gets off the field on 3rd down. Trouble is in Saturday when Georgia inevitably catches a break, the "Oh no here we go again" feeling in that stadium will be palpable. Can this team show heart & resolve, keep playing, and take the momentum right back?...or will their confidence collapse and they let 'em run away with it? I can't remember a time when our team looked so capable but at the same time so fragile going into Clean Old Fashioned Hate.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If we play our "A" game and UGAG plays their "A" game, this line is about right, since it is being played at BD.

But, if UGAG plays its A game and we play like we did this past Saturday, "Katie bar the door". It will get ugly like 2012.

For us to win, I think we have to play spotless and UGAG has to wet the bed (C-game or worse).

Again, I hope I am wrong. Auburn has several defenders on their D-line and at LB that will hear their names called early in the draft. We do not.

Jmonty71

Banned
So...... I took the bet at +20. Not only do I hope its less.... I hope we flat our win and pee in Ugag's Cornflakes, at the same time. Getting win 6 and keeping the Dwags out of the playoffs, would be the ultimate. This is a case where my heart says, we'll win. But, my brain says different.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
We used up all of our fairy dust against VT. I see no reason for optimism. I think we will ditch our running game and start hurling bombs downfield early this Saturday.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
So...... I took the bet at +20. Not only do I hope its less.... I hope we flat our win and pee in Ugag's Cornflakes, at the same time. Getting win 6 and keeping the Dwags out of the playoffs, would be the ultimate. This is a case where my heart says, we'll win. But, my brain says different.

I admire your courage but question your judgement. OTOH three touchdowns is a lot to give an arch rival in any rivalry game be it COFH, UNC / Duke, Carolina / Clemson, the Iron Bowl, Ole Miss / State and any number of others. I just question this team's heart, resolve, and willingness to lay it all on the line.