GT (+11) vs. Georgia

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Atomic Football has us at a 31.5% chance of winning with a score of 22-29. FPI has us at a 21.3% chance of winning. Sagarin's has our predictor at 80.6 and UGA at 92.76 so +12. Really you can throw all that out the window as you can never really predict rivalry games. If UGA comes out flat or even over hyped we should be able to take advantage of them over pursuing or slow playing and run all over them. If we come out flat we'll get smoked on the ground by a really good UGA rushing offense. We need to come out and play well in the front 7 and make Fromm beat us.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I am honestly perplexed. Serious question... did the Duke game by itself damage folks' confidence in GT this year? Or was that your stance regardless of the Duke result?

We've been an average team all year, and we put together a clunker on Saturday where effectively our offense put together 1 good half, as they have done pretty much most of the year, and the defense had their a**** handed to them against a Duke team that has done that to them even in our good years of 2014 and 2016. It looked just like Wake Forest, except for 2 halves, not just the first. And we didn't get killed on ST for once.

We just beat VT at home. No signs of coaches "losing the team" or players not taking things seriously. So, the crazy doom and gloom posts here feel like an overreaction beyond what I would have expected. Maybe folks are just mentally preparing themselves with low expectations so they can't get their feelings hurt on Saturday.

If I'm being completely honest, in light of the negativity here for this coming game and with how many are "surprised" by how low the spread is, this is starting to feel like a Vegas sucker bet to go in on Georgia. The fact that "common" wisdom is that we're completely down even among the GT faithful (sic) is actually raising my hopes.
I can only for me. On offense yes we have been spotty all year. I love the death march but to make it more affective you also need to be able to score fast . The so called death march is fine but not if your behind. The part I had a bad time in the Duke game was how good we looked in the 1st half and how bad we were in the 2nd half. After the Tenn game I had hopes that we were going to run the 3O like I like to see it B-back up the middle , QB cutting up field off tackle , or A-back on the outside lane. as the season progressed I saw less of the QB cutting up field and more of him staying in the A-backs lane taking the pitch out of the 3O. I also miss the quick pass the to WR. To me this would also help the WR block out the CB on the 3O if you hit him with a few quick passes to him.

On defense I kept seeing signs of improvement most of the time with few a few times of collapse. The Duke game was the first time this year we played the whole game like poo poo.

The VT game have been a little misleading because I don't think their offense is that good.

Am I discouraged , no , disappointed , yes , which is how I feel the players would be after last week.

Would I bet on this coming game , no . Do I think we can win , yes if we play a great game. I am a Tech fan and will always be one.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You know what. I'm over Saturday and I'm sober. I said after the UVA loss we were beating VT and it worked. Well fu*k it! We are winning Saturday! I didn't feel good about the UVA game and I didn't at Duke either. It was one of those "I hope we win" picks. I felt good about VT and I think we come at the dawgs with everything we got. Plus I think they look at us as easy W and they're focused on winning the SEC championship game. There minds might be in Atlanta but for the wrong game.
We win 27-24
You need to work on that sober part , but then again your wife may not be like my wife. :)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
@Cuse......my own feeling is this year will be like the 13-7 loss year (whenever that was). We never *really* threatened to win that game as UGa controlled our offense all day and technically we did well defensively, but you never had the feeling were might pull it off. That's how I feel.

And my feelings have definitely gone way down after the last 3 games (UVa and Duke losses offset somewhat by VPI&SU win). Our complete failure on offense to be consistent and to develop a passing game leads me to believe our O will get dominated for long stretches in this game.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I am honestly perplexed. Serious question... did the Duke game by itself damage folks' confidence in GT this year? Or was that your stance regardless of the Duke result?
UVA has lost 4 of its last 5 games. The only win was against us. Duke has lost 6 of its last 7 games. The only win coming against us. UGA is blowing out everyone they are playing aside from Auburn. While I would love to see us come out pumped up and for them to come out flat, leading to a close game, I just don't see it happening.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
UVA has lost 4 of its last 5 games. The only win was against us. Duke has lost 6 of its last 7 games. The only win coming against us. UGA is blowing out everyone they are playing aside from Auburn. While I would love to see us come out pumped up and for them to come out flat, leading to a close game, I just don't see it happening.
Thanks for the reply. The stats on UVA and Duke are telling, for sure.

Just to be clear, my question is not "Why doesn't everyone think GT will win?" I think it's clear by results on the field that UGA should be favored. This was true prior to the Duke game. My question is more "Why do many think we have no shot to be competitive?" and my perception is the tide turned for many based on last week's game.

Maybe it's whining, maybe just typical one week over-reacting (which is true after wins too), but I've interpreted posts from oft-positive leaning fonts thinking we now stand no chance based on the Duke game alone. To me, it wasn't anything more than a single disappointing game that showed the downside of our year-long jekyll and hyde.

Based on the replies, I'm thinking those who feel burned are those who truly thought we were a few plays away from 8-1, not recognizing that we were more than a few plays away e.g., we had to screw up many plays to lose to a bad TN team. Imo, we are about what our record says, maybe due for 1 more win if luck evened out, but I didn't view Duke as some downward spiral indicator. We haven't been consistent all year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the reply. The stats on UVA and Duke are telling, for sure.

Just to be clear, my question is not "Why doesn't everyone think GT will win?" I think it's clear by results on the field that UGA should be favored. This was true prior to the Duke game. My question is more "Why do many think we have no shot to be competitive?" and my perception is the tide turned for many based on last week's game.

Maybe it's whining, maybe just typical one week over-reacting (which is true after wins too), but I've interpreted posts from oft-positive leaning fonts thinking we now stand no chance based on the Duke game alone. To me, it wasn't anything more than a single disappointing game that showed the downside of our year-long jekyll and hyde.

Based on the replies, I'm thinking those who feel burned are those who truly thought we were a few plays away from 8-1, not recognizing that we were more than a few plays away e.g., we had to screw up many plays to lose to a bad TN team. Imo, we are about what our record says, maybe due for 1 more win if luck evened out, but I didn't view Duke as some downward spiral indicator. We haven't been consistent all year.
What most people don't understand is any season you can go back and see a few plays that would make a good season bad or a bad season good. Sometimes it's just plain luck.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
@Cuse I wouldn't say we have no shot but my biggest issue is we haven't looked good since playing UNC and they are definitely the bottom feeder of the ACC this year. Even our wins against Wake and VT I think I was just more relieved we somehow hung on than I though we actually came out and played our best ball. Our offense just doesn't feel like it's clicking right now and they definitely start going to the dumpster every time there's a defensive letdown. Miami and UVA losses should rest squarely on the shoulders of the offense.

Really the only loss I can pin on the defense this year is Duke which is why I'm not calling for Roof's job like everyone else for some reason. I am disgusted by the overall lack of effort this past week but that's a lack of effort on the whole team and not just the defense.

It is very possible we somehow pull out a win this week but I have maybe 5% faith that it'll be the offense that leads us to victory. My faith lies in the hands of the defense despite what they looked like last week.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If we are going to lose, let it over by halftime, so some of our backups, especially the backup QBs, can get some reps during the second half.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
@Cuse I wouldn't say we have no shot but my biggest issue is we haven't looked good since playing UNC and they are definitely the bottom feeder of the ACC this year. Even our wins against Wake and VT I think I was just more relieved we somehow hung on than I though we actually came out and played our best ball. Our offense just doesn't feel like it's clicking right now and they definitely start going to the dumpster every time there's a defensive letdown. Miami and UVA losses should rest squarely on the shoulders of the offense.

Really the only loss I can pin on the defense this year is Duke which is why I'm not calling for Roof's job like everyone else for some reason. I am disgusted by the overall lack of effort this past week but that's a lack of effort on the whole team and not just the defense.

It is very possible we somehow pull out a win this week but I have maybe 5% faith that it'll be the offense that leads us to victory. My faith lies in the hands of the defense despite what they looked like last week.
Lack of effort lies most of the time with the defensive coordinator..........................just sayin';)

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
My god awful gut feeling is that ST is going to kill us. It could be a long return, missed FG, etc that could be the difference. Now, with that said, lets beat these ****ers, ruin their season, and go to a bowl.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Highlighting your first sentence as emphasis for my reply.

I don't know how many hold this opinion, but imo we haven't been gangbusters in any game this year offensively, including UNC. To your point, UNC is bad. We fumbled the ball 3 times, losing 2 of them. 456 yards of offense is good, but when you put it in the context of the defense being UNC, how impressive is that? Maybe someone has the yards per drive stats for UNC for all their opponents.

We scored 33 points against UNC in 11 possessions. Duke is a better team (who also had a bye and Army prior). We scored 20 points in 9 possessions against Duke, where conservatively 2 possessions we went to the air because Duke scored non-stop on our D and we needed to try and score quick to keep up.

So I'm not sure what's driving the chicken little reaction after last week.

I will concede that the defense was certainly unremarkable this past weekend, but I don't see any reason to believe it was much more than a single measure across 10 games. We did well against better offenses e.g., Miami and Wake, and Miami certainly has better personnel than Duke and probably more in line with Georgia.

So, the woe is me stuff after Duke seems like too much of a reaction to one game, or maybe folks had misaligned expectations from what we've been all year, imo.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Highlighting your first sentence as emphasis for my reply.

I don't know how many hold this opinion, but imo we haven't been gangbusters in any game this year offensively, including UNC. To your point, UNC is bad. We fumbled the ball 3 times, losing 2 of them. 456 yards of offense is good, but when you put it in the context of the defense being UNC, how impressive is that? Maybe someone has the yards per drive stats for UNC for all their opponents.

We scored 33 points against UNC in 11 possessions. Duke is a better team (who also had a bye and Army prior). We scored 20 points in 9 possessions against Duke, where conservatively 2 possessions we went to the air because Duke scored non-stop on our D and we needed to try and score quick to keep up.

So I'm not sure what's driving the chicken little reaction after last week.

I will concede that the defense was certainly unremarkable this past weekend, but I don't see any reason to believe it was much more than a single measure across 10 games. We did well against better offenses e.g., Miami and Wake, and Miami certainly has better personnel than Duke and probably more in line with Georgia.

So, the woe is me stuff after Duke seems like too much of a reaction to one game, or maybe folks had misaligned expectations from what we've been all year, imo.
I’ve agreed with you all year that we haven’t been very impressive but to lose to Duke in the way we did should never happen. To the same point though, Miami also hasn’t been impressive outside of 2 games but they keep pulling bunnies out of a hat in the clutch and are undefeated. We keep putting ourselves in position to lose because we fail at the dumbest things.

This year as a whole just seems to have some of the worst football being played around the entire country that I can ever remember. The quantity of bad football teams out there is staggering to me and we potentially won’t even make a bowl game.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve agreed with you all year that we haven’t been very impressive but to lose to Duke in the way we did should never happen. To the same point though, Miami also hasn’t been impressive outside of 2 games but they keep pulling bunnies out of a hat in the clutch and are undefeated. We keep putting ourselves in position to lose because we fail at the dumbest things.

This year as a whole just seems to have some of the worst football being played around the entire country that I can ever remember. The quantity of bad football teams out there is staggering to me and we potentially won’t even make a bowl game.

I totally agree with the bad football being played this year all the way around by every team!! (and if I hear how Miami is perfect one more time....)

For GT, I think inconsistency is the definition of this season.

After TN, I was like, "oh well, we almost had them." After Miami, I was down right angry we didn't win. After Clemson, nothing special other than irritated. After Virginia, sad. After Duke...well, trying to put it in perspective, but I think that was the single worst game I've seen them play in many, many years, and I was seriously depressed about having to go sit next to a bunch of dawgs next week while we get trampled on. It was one game...but the other losses concern me. But mostly, the fact that I have no idea which team will show up on Saturday is what gives me pause. Can they win? Sure. I feel like GT has a 50% chance against ANY team we play, always, even though we don't have the same level talent, but after these losses we've sustained and the inconsistency in the wins, I don't see that 50% chance for this game. All I hope is that we don't get blown out! Still, I will be there with my white and gold, cheering them on, hoping for an upset! Go Jackets!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Tech opens as 11 point underdogs to Georgia #UGAvsGT

Track line movement here: http://www.vegasinsider.com/college...ment/[email protected]/date/11-25-17

Other spreads
  • VT (-7) @ UVA... Friday game
  • Miami (-14) @ Pittsburgh... Friday game
  • Duke @ Wake Forest (-12)
  • Louisville (-9.5) @ Kentucky
  • Clemson (-14) @ South Carolina
  • Florida State (-5) @ Florida

Based on what I saw last Saturday, I am utterly amazed at how low our line is. If I were a betting man, I would put the whole stake on UGA covering that spread. Clemson should cover against South Carolina but will have to exorcise the demons infesting Williams Brice.