GSU game thread

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
While I understand GS (Georgia Southern is 'GSU'. Come at me) requires the team's undivided attention and respect as an opponent. I don't fear that they'll come out and do to us what we did to FSU, for lack of a better description.

GT, under Key, has a track record for playing the way we played vs FSU. GS has a first year, first time HC. We have no 'tape' on them but they also have no track record or reference point to suggest they'll be as cohesive and error-free as they need to be to illicit the amount of fear and loathing we're feeling as fans.

Not saying I'm expecting a cake walk. Just saying I feel like, if we're us (follow that), we shld be aiight.

Vanessa Lachey Hawaii GIF by CBS

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
This is what keeps running through my mind as well.

FSU didn't take us seriously. They had already notched a win in their record, and IMO were looking forward to not even the rest of ACC play - but all the way to the ACC Championship Game. They listened to the narrative from their school, from their fans, from Reddit and other discussion boards, and from the media that they were better than the rest of the ACC, and that they were "back." Winning was accepted as manifest destiny, simply because they are FSU.

They overlooked us to our detriment.

I hope Key has been beating that comparative drum over and over. That it's not the level of talent on the team that matters - it's the level of effort, commitment, and toughness. That after the win in Ireland, for this game we're at risk of being FSU, and Georgia State being us.

I imagine he has, and that the team has gotten the message - but there's a lot of "rat poison" going around. And it's hard to not think back to all those stressful moments in winning seasons, or those awful moments where we lost to a team we shouldn't have lost to. Fingers are crossed, and excited to watch the game Saturday (delayed, as I'll be on a family trip to Mesa Verde). Go Jackets!
Key and the team have been saying the right things so far. We're focused on the next play and what's in front of us. The BG loss is so recent that the team should know that preparing for this needs to look exactly the same as any other week.

It does probably help that this team has gotten at best a couple days' worth of rat poison rather than six months like FSU.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
While I understand GS (Georgia Southern is 'GSU'. Come at me) requires the team's undivided attention and respect as an opponent. I don't fear that they'll come out and do to us what we did to FSU, for lack of a better description.

GT, under Key, has a track record for playing the way we played vs FSU. GS has a first year, first time HC. We have no 'tape' on them but they also have no track record or reference point to suggest they'll be as cohesive and error-free as they need to be to illicit the amount of fear and loathing we're feeling as fans.

Not saying I'm expecting a cake walk. Just saying I feel like, if we're us (follow that), we shld be aiight.

Vanessa Lachey Hawaii GIF by CBS
Yeah your wrong, its gonna be a cakewalk

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
A couple of thoughts:

1) We will speed up the tempo this game. We saw 7 possessions last game against FSU. Reducing the number of possessions and winding the clock narrows the gap between teams - even in the case of a blowout, it keeps the game closer. In the end, we converted a TD in the second quarter where FSU couldn't (turnover on downs + FG), we prevented mistakes on our ensuing possessions, and that was the ball game. Running at a higher tempo helps expose any talent disparity and I believe we are closer to FSU than Ga St in that department.

2) Listening to the opponent media, Georgia State thinks that they have the film advantage because we have opened the playbook. We have not. We ran 52 plays last game, and more than half of that was just blast, counter, outside zone, veer, qb counter, qb draw, wr screen. I have plenty of confidence that we have enough up our sleeves if Ga St or Syracuse get testy.

3) The 2s and 3s will play plenty this game but would have played whether we're healthy or not. Jamal Haynes only had 13 touches last game. 7 receivers played and 19 players recorded a tackle. Efford, Harvey, Powell-Lee, and Tatum played almost the full game, but otherwise on defense Biggers, LaMiles Brooks, Yondjouen, Height, Scott were off the field for at least 20 plays. We have depth and we'll use it every game, even FSU.
I tried to like this post 3 times lol. I agree completely with everything you said. If they want to beat us using film advantage, they're going to have to overpower our OL and TEs in their blocking.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
There's been no specific updates (apart from the guys that were out for the FSU game)
Currently, Covers.com is not reporting anything new for GT since last week. We may get updates later today.

For GSU, they list WR Talique Williams as questionable. He was their 2nd-leading WR last year, and their leading receiver Robert Lewis appears to be at Auburn now. Neither is shown on the depth chart they released.

Edit to add: I read somewhere that the SEC and B1G are mandating accurate injury reports every week in an attempt to thwart gamblers trying to glean inside info. I thought they did that anyway but perhaps the timing is new. The ACC tried that a few years ago and then dropped the requirement.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yeah your wrong, its gonna be a cakewalk
That is what I said the week before we played Bowling Green and that short, stocky running back they had literally "bowled" us over. I don't think it will happen but it would be just about the most Tech like thing in the world for Georgia State to come in and give us a game well into the third quarter. They have a new coach and a lot of new players and will be sky high playing us. The shoe is about to literally be on the other foot.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
That is what I said the week before we played Bowling Green and that short, stocky running back they had literally "bowled" us over. I don't think it will happen but it would be just about the most Tech like thing in the world for Georgia State to come in and give us a game well into the third quarter. They have a new coach and a lot of new players and will be sky high playing us. The shoe is about to be on the other foot.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well done Techies, 11 pages, and we are still 48 hours out. Its good to see some excitement return to GT football
The memories of MBob, The Former Prez, TStan, TFP are growing dimmer by the day.

Boy did that leadership vacuum pit us against each other. 100-0 & all red East Stands was the bottom

Shazam , we have a coach who can hire good assistants and a Prez that loves being with the tudents at the games. We will have hurddles, but boy is it going to be fun.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
GT made some mistakes against F$U, and it'd expect them to work on core plays where improvement is needed

That video breakdown Aaron Murray did in praising King's decision making, mechanics, and ability vs F$U is the kind of stuff that gets attention without throwing up huge numbers. The zero turnovers number was the biggest to me.
Minimal turnovers and penalties, good running game, solid kicking and defense is not the most dazzling thing in the world but a lot of very good coaches have won a lot of games with that foundation.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Santucci made a masterful adjustment after the first TD. He started loading the box and brought the safeties up. FSU never really adjusted and only had success with their last drive on 2 4th down passes. He showed one coverage and then rolled the coverage at the snap at least once that I saw.
I saw that too and kept thinking that the FSU coaches would let DJ air it out down field. Maybe they did not trust him though he has a big arm.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ah-hem (clears throat)

We all understand that Ga State will be sky high, have every incentive to beat us, will not be intimidated, and that anything can happen in college football.

BUT.

We have become a physically superior team. Georgia Southern gave Alabama a good game a few years ago, better than a lot of teams, but in the end superior athletes on a well coached team always win.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
What makes you think that?

It was their opening game, to an international audience.

They knew we had a pretty good offense, that was really good at running the ball. They had all summer to get ready. The next game is BC, who gave them a hard time last season, but should be beatable. We weren’t a trap game.

On defense, it’s the same coordinator and DL coach who gave them fits last season until they knocked out Duke’s QB.

They knew we were dangerous. They saw last year’s Miami game.

If there’s anything, they thought they’d run on us all day, and they were surprised when the defense bowed up—but they should have been expecting that based on our DC. The DL was much better than last year.

We flat out just beat them.
I have watched this game three times from beginning to end looking for some sign of Tech luck or something. Nope, we just beat them running the ball for the most part against that vaunted FSU defensive line.