GSU game thread

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
What makes you think that?

It was their opening game, to an international audience.

They knew we had a pretty good offense, that was really good at running the ball. They had all summer to get ready. The next game is BC, who gave them a hard time last season, but should be beatable. We weren’t a trap game.

On defense, it’s the same coordinator and DL coach who gave them fits last season until they knocked out Duke’s QB.

They knew we were dangerous. They saw last year’s Miami game.

If there’s anything, they thought they’d run on us all day, and they were surprised when the defense bowed up—but they should have been expecting that based on our DC. The DL was much better than last year.

We flat out just beat them.
absolutely agree. all of the overlooking us stuff sells our team short. even some of our own don't realize we're a pretty good team.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I saw that too and kept thinking that the FSU coaches would let DJ air it out down field. Maybe they did not trust him though he has a big arm.
Actually as was pointed out, we were not technically stacking the box. We were bringing our secondary up to stop the run. We did some clever coverage disguises I imagine were designed to mess with their QB.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
As a Ga State alum, I have seen the Panthers play (4) times including road trips to Auburn and South Carolina. This is a pretty new football team with all of the turnover, but in the past they were capable of putting together touchdown drives with short passes and a running attack that has some pop. They can be vulnerable on special teams due to the lack of roster depth. Best case scenario is we never let them in the game from the start. My guess is 4,000- 5,000 GSU fans. If you like fight songs , you ought to google GSUs. It sounds a little goofy, but the words are classic fight song material.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
If you look at soak of our better seasons of the 21st century we had close wins against cupcake teams. UCF 2000, Gardner-Webb 2008, G Southern 2014.
You didn't mention UGA in 2014. UGA fumbled twice on our 1 yard line and Buttkicker had to nail a 53 yarder on the last play of regular time to send it to overtime after a stupid squib kick on UGA's last TD put us in range. We could easily have been the 3rd best team in Georgia that year if it were not for our good fortune.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
That is what I said the week before we played Bowling Green and that short, stocky running back they had literally "bowled" us over. I don't think it will happen but it would be just about the most Tech like thing in the world for Georgia State to come in and give us a game well into the third quarter. They have a new coach and a lot of new players and will be sky high playing us. The shoe is about to literally be on the other foot.
The WORST thing that happenned to us with BG was the just SO easy start. No problem ,right.? Same thing with the fsu start on us.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You didn't mention UGA in 2014. UGA fumbled twice on our 1 yard line and Buttkicker had to nail a 53 yarder on the last play of regular time to send it to overtime after a stupid squib kick on UGA's last TD put us in range. We could easily have been the 3rd best team in Georgia that year if it were not for our good fortune.
The tougher practices seem to cause us to NOT SUCK SO BAD we confuse the other team.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It really is hard to tell them apart sometimes.....

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF
I'm the taller one

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
As a Ga State alum, I have seen the Panthers play (4) times including road trips to Auburn and South Carolina. This is a pretty new football team with all of the turnover, but in the past they were capable of putting together touchdown drives with short passes and a running attack that has some pop. They can be vulnerable on special teams due to the lack of roster depth. Best case scenario is we never let them in the game from the start. My guess is 4,000- 5,000 GSU fans. If you like fight songs , you ought to google GSUs. It sounds a little goofy, but the words are classic fight song material.
GSU law?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
On the way back to our hotel Sunday night we ran into an FSU fan that said "Key will be gone in a year".

1724986541333.png

Rick: Sam, Ferrari wants you to work for him at the Blue Parrot.
Sam: Oh, I like it just fine here.
Rick: He'll double what I pay you.
Sam: Yeah, but I ain't got time to spend what I make here.

Last edited:

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree, wholeheartedly, however, if we don’t pay him what he is worth, I don’t care who you are, he’s not gonna be happy. Nobody should be expected to stick around at their alma mater out of loyalty and not be paid what you’re worth.
There are plenty of coaches that build something good and stay, even for less money. Once established you also get more forgiveness after a few down years. The first 3-4 years are when you’re most at risk of losing your job.

I live in Davidson, NC and Bob McKillop could’ve taken other coaching jobs but he stayed at Davidson because he enjoyed being here and living here. He definitely left millions on the table, but I don’t think he has any regrets.