Great read and I agree

I do, actually. Tech 14 versus any offense in the past 20 years (since they started doing efficiency stats).

I can't remember which site it was, but one of them had GT 14 as the best offense ever since they'd been doing the stats.

Regardless of which efficiency metric you choose, GT had an elite offense in 14.

In terms of FEI, Johnson's teams have had the following offensive rankings
2008: 24
2009: 2
2010: 64
2011: 16
2012: 11
2013: 39
2014: 3
2015: 88
2016: 13

So, really, the offense is not off from any year Johnson has had at GT. It's actually pretty much in the general range, which is to say "pretty damn good"
Rushing offense ranked 36th w/ 234 yd pg. Down
Passing offense ranked 284th w/ 120 yd pg. same since paul arrived
Total offense ranked 207th w/ 355 yd pg. Down
So you are saying how the offense is status quo as to the last 8 yrs?
What are the wins vs losses since he's been here? Yeah no better than Chan Gailey. It can be argued his best recruiting class contributed heavily to the early success. Which if I am not wrong skews the stats just a little. Imaging no Josh or JD or Bebe?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The offense is not performing to its avg. It is down in rushing yds per game, first downs per game, 3rd down conversion is worse. How many players have rushed for 100 yds in a game this year? I guess the defense is causing all those problems? Is Tech's defense responsible for world hunger and aids? Just asking seems some on this board would blame Roof for all the world's problems.
I agree with your sentiment about blaming Roof for all the world's problems, but I take issue with another point you are trying to make. Stating that, on offense, rushing yards are down and first downs has decreased is ultimately a condemnation of both the offensive and defensive units. Those numbers are down partly because we have had the ball less. Surely, we could have played better on offense. I see us as about average for CPJ's time here. But when you are struggling on third down the way we are on defense, it dramatically affects the offense, especially in terms of accumulated stats. Neither unit plays in a vacuum. The offense has to shoulder all the blame for its own 3rd down conversion rate. You can't share blame with the D for that stat.

With all this said, our defense has allowed few enough points to win more games than we have. I haven't even read the threads about Roof's job etc because I am totally disinterested. We are close, but we have to do better on 3rd down, just have to.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Rushing offense ranked 36th w/ 234 yd pg. Down
Passing offense ranked 284th w/ 120 yd pg. same since paul arrived
Total offense ranked 207th w/ 355 yd pg. Down
So you are saying how the offense is status quo as to the last 8 yrs?
What are the wins vs losses since he's been here? Yeah no better than Chan Gailey. It can be argued his best recruiting class contributed heavily to the early success. Which if I am not wrong skews the stats just a little. Imaging no Josh or JD or Bebe?

Yes, I am saying the offense is status quo as to the last 8 years. Going with stats that don't take into account pace would lead you to believe that the 1980's denver nuggets were teh best offensive team in history because they scored the most points.

I won't argue with you about wins and losses. The defense has largely been mediocre to bad under johnson, and that's his responsibility. He's the head coach, the buck stops there.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I'd add Clemson to the list. You can't blame the D when it limited Clemson to 3 2nd-half points and when the O only managed something like 12 total yards the whole first half.

The only reason we had an ice cube's chance in that game was due to the Defense and in spite of the offense. Hell, the only reason we had a chance to beat BC at the end was due to the D making stop after stop and giving JT and the boys the ball back late in the game.

They also limited Miami to 21 pts - the same amount the offense scored. Had the O not handed Miami 14 pts, we win that game too.

I don't even put clemson in my list as an offense or defense problem. They are a NC caliber team and we are far from that. They completely let off the Gas in the 2nd half to save for their next game and we all know that. They had bigger fish to fry, and Dabo never wants to run the score up on us. I would say that game being so close had more to do with Clemson Coaching than anyone else.

I agree with your sentiment about blaming Roof for all the world's problems, but I take issue with another point you are trying to make. Stating that, on offense, rushing yards are down and first downs has decreased is ultimately a condemnation of both the offensive and defensive units. Those numbers are down partly because we have had the ball less. Surely, we could have played better on offense. I see us as about average for CPJ's time here. But when you are struggling on third down the way we are on defense, it dramatically affects the offense, especially in terms of accumulated stats. Neither unit plays in a vacuum. The offense has to shoulder all the blame for its own 3rd down conversion rate. You can't share blame with the D for that stat.

With all this said, our defense has allowed few enough points to win more games than we have. I haven't even read the threads about Roof's job etc because I am totally disinterested. We are close, but we have to do better on 3rd down, just have to.
I can't argue that our 3rd stopping rate, it has to improve, but we are not giving up the long play like we are accustomed to seeing. They are better over all than when Ted started his job at tech. Hard to chicken salad out of chicken poop.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I can't argue that our 3rd stopping rate, it has to improve, but we are not giving up the long play like we are accustomed to seeing. They are better over all than when Ted started his job at tech. Hard to chicken salad out of chicken poop.
And that right there is part of the reason that our offensive numbers are down. The other teams have been "death marching" us down the field. You just helped prove the point that you've been trying to argue against.

Also, to say Ted has improved the D, is like winning tallest guy at the midget convention. When Groh got fired midseason the year before, our D was historically bad.

And that right there is part of the reason that our offensive numbers are down. The other teams have been "death marching" us down the field. You just helped prove the point that you've been trying to argue against.

Also, to say Ted has improved the D, is like winning tallest guy at the midget convention. When Groh got fired midseason the year before, our D was historically bad.
Is the defense not playing better since Ted got here? Answer is yes. So he has improved the defense dramatically since he took over. I have to assume you have an agenda against Roof if you can't see that. Unlike the offense where we are in year 9 and still can't avg more than 120 yds through the air. That is terrible any way you slice it. The offense against the same 4 teams still suck and now we are having trouble with Duke, Unc, BC, and losing to Pitt. We will see in the next few weeks how this team shakes out and exactly how good or bad both units really are. Agreeing we need to improve isn't proving anything, but agreeing we need to improve. I don't know where I said the defense is perfect and beyond criticism. To be a contender for the conf championship, the defense needs to improve a lot. You think the offense or special teams don't need to improve? The whole team does and all I am saying is the defense has and that is all anyone can ask for. When the offense is supposed to be the strong unit on the team, you have to admit they have let the team down thus far in the season. If it hadn't been for the defense BC is a loss and the season looks bleak at this time. Chew on that for a minute before talking down the defense. The one chance the offense has had to make a statement and put someone away, they failed to convert a 4th down.

GravyTrain

Georgia Tech Fan
Is the defense not playing better since Ted got here? Answer is yes. So he has improved the defense dramatically since he took over. I have to assume you have an agenda against Roof if you can't see that. Unlike the offense where we are in year 9 and still can't avg more than 120 yds through the air. That is terrible any way you slice it. The offense against the same 4 teams still suck and now we are having trouble with Duke, Unc, BC, and losing to Pitt. We will see in the next few weeks how this team shakes out and exactly how good or bad both units really are. Agreeing we need to improve isn't proving anything, but agreeing we need to improve. I don't know where I said the defense is perfect and beyond criticism. To be a contender for the conf championship, the defense needs to improve a lot. You think the offense or special teams don't need to improve? The whole team does and all I am saying is the defense has and that is all anyone can ask for. When the offense is supposed to be the strong unit on the team, you have to admit they have let the team down thus far in the season. If it hadn't been for the defense BC is a loss and the season looks bleak at this time. Chew on that for a minute before talking down the defense. The one chance the offense has had to make a statement and put someone away, they failed to convert a 4th down.

giphy.gif

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
The offense is not performing to its avg. It is down in rushing yds per game, first downs per game, 3rd down conversion is worse. How many players have rushed for 100 yds in a game this year? I guess the defense is causing all those problems? Is Tech's defense responsible for world hunger and aids? Just asking seems some on this board would blame Roof for all the world's problems.
Oh be careful "up state", you might upset the "PJ is the best coach we can get, and his TO is great" folks.