Goodbye Honeycomb

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Fair enough, if the kids like them then I am for it...within reason. Players need to understand that consistency in branding is critical in marketing your team. Do you think the players at Alabama or Penn State or Michigan have "options"? Nonetheless, if our team is not a national power why not let them experiment with options to keep it fun for the players. My personal favorites are LSU, Auburn, Texas, Alabama, and Michigan. Clean, traditional, easily recognizable as that team's uniform.

I hear ya and agree for the most part.

But LSU has always puzzled me. Their logo. It is recognized now as their brand, but I have always found it absurd when you have to spell out your school or mascot name on a helmet.

Gators
LSU
And I suppose their are others. It just does not seem like a real logo.

Animal02

Banned
Good. I never liked them. I always liked the all gold helmets Tech used to wear in the 50s - '60s. But the white ones are ok too.
The white ones with the black and gold stripes have a classic 50's look. I think we should stick with the gold domes and white logo. Play around with the uniforms if they must, but leave the helmets alone. Te interlocked GT is known and recognized world wide........no reason to mess with solid branding like that.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
two other picks

th
th

To plastic,, looks like someone tried to hard

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

But LSU has always puzzled me. Their logo. It is recognized now as their brand, but I have always found it absurd when you have to spell out your school or mascot name on a helmet.

Gators
LSU

It was more in reference to the iconic white jerseys with the gold pants and gold helmets with purple trim that is associated with the Bayou Tigers. The helmets do look a little crowded with that "LSU" across the top.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Gators
LSU

You mention the Gators. The FIRST thing Spurrier did upon becoming coach was to get rid of the old orange jerseys they had worn under Charley Pell and Galen Hall and go back to the iconic blue jerseys that he had worn as a player in the 1960s. The fans, of course, loved it.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, I liked the simple gold honeycomb on a white helmet. It made for a good brand differentiation. But, I can see why some don't like it. I think it would be cool to make a helmet where the facemask was the grill of the Wreck and the rest of the helmet was the body somehow. Not sure how it would look, but something else to make us stand out.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
You mention the Gators. The FIRST thing Spurrier did upon becoming coach was to get rid of the old orange jerseys they had worn under Charley Pell and Galen Hall and go back to the iconic blue jerseys that he had worn as a player in the 1960s. The fans, of course, loved it.

Yes that worked big for them.

When I see them in O/B/W it often, scheme wise, reminds me of our G/B/W MNC unis.

I just find using the gator script as being so very lazy in attempting to find a logo.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yes that worked big for them.

When I see them in O/B/W it often, scheme wise, reminds me of our G/B/W MNC unis.

I just find using the gator script as being so very lazy in attempting to find a logo.

What worked BIG for them was having a mother lode of seemingly endless talent on both sides of the ball, and the game day coaching of the "Head Ball Coach". Spurrier, I am told, was not a particularly great recruiter but he had assistants who were and they got great players to make their "Fun and Gun" passing scheme work. He also was fortunate in having utter adoration by Gator Nation and the support of a pliant if not supine, administration. In regards to the logo on the helmet, I agree it is pretty lame to just print "GATORS" and similar to LSU it takes up too much space. Much prefer, Auburn's "AU" vertical script or even UGA's iconic "G" even though they stole it from the Packers. The Texas "Longhorn" works well too. Something that is instantly identifiable and does not take up half the helmet. The Georgia Tech interlocking "GT" is the best thing we have going for our branding and it works perfect on either the Gold or White helmets. For the love of God, don't mess with it.

Last edited:

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
What worked BIG for them was having a mother lode of seemingly endless talent on both sides of the ball, and the game day coaching of the "Head Ball Coach". Spurrier, I am told, was not a particularly great recruiter but he had assistants who were and they got great players to make their "Fun and Gun" passing scheme work. He also was fortunate in having utter adoration by Gator Nation and the support of a pliant if not supine, administration. In regards to the logo on the helmet, I agree it is pretty lame to just print "GATORS" and similar to LSU it takes up too much space. Much prefer, Auburn's "AU" vertical script or even UGA's iconic "G" even though they stole it from the Packers. The Texas "Longhorn" works well too. Something that is instantly identifiable and does not take up half the helmet. The Georgia Tech interlocking "GT" is the best thing we have going for our branding and it works perfect on either the Gold or White helmets. For the love of God, don't mess with it.
The OU on Oklahoma's helmets is nice also

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Fair enough, if the kids like them then I am for it...within reason. Players need to understand that consistency in branding is critical in marketing your team. Do you think the players at Alabama or Penn State or Michigan have "options"? Nonetheless, if our team is not a national power why not let them experiment with options to keep it fun for the players. My personal favorites are LSU, Auburn, Texas, Alabama, and Michigan. Clean, traditional, easily recognizable as that team's uniform.
As a player TODAY...the Oregon approach is refreshing ....