Good TV Shows?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So I just watched the last 2 seasons of the Americans .. man, what a finale ... so I'm looking for some good TV show suggestions.

I'm into season 2 of The Punisher and True Detective right now.

Any thoughts for after I'm through those?

I think we had a similar thread before but couldn't find it.

Deleted member 2897

Oh, and Jack Ryan on Amazon was too

We don't watch a lot, so what we've been watching might be very old news. But I highly recommend Jack Ryan. We just started watching the Marvelous Mrs. Maple or something like that. It comes and goes so far through 3 episodes, but I would recommend that too - some really hilarious parts.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I did watch Jack Ryan. The most intriguing thing about that series is the fact that the girl who's his love interest is apparently a rapper from Australia in real life.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I specifically came in here to recommend True Detective. Season 3 is excellent so far in reclaiming everything that made Season 1 so great.

Both seasons of The Sinner are very well done. Not sure if there will be a Season 3 or not.

If you've never watched The Wire it is quite possibly the greatest TV series ever and will turn you into a complete nihilist.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Likely won't strike high on others list but This Old House, Ask This Old House, and Woodsmith Shop are about the only 3 shows I DVR/watch. Rough Cut was a favorite when GPB carried it.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Big fan of Stranger Things, Also really like Black Mirror (though it is a real downer), I liked the show Longmire but some of my friends hated it. I heard ozarks is great but can't get into it.

Also really like Madame Secretary and if you somehow missed newsroom I was a big fan of that as well.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Among the recent-past series, I’d recommend “Godless” on Netflix. I’m really hoping they are working on a second series, although the first series definitely reached a conclusion.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Vikings is a good show, but I'm not sure where else it would stream other than the History Channel.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm also finishing up "The Americans", which I thought was really well done. I also liked "Good Behavior", "Blindspot" and "The Alienist.". If you're a history buff, you might like "Timeless."

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
If anyone is a Sci-Fi fan, then Altered Carbon on Netflix is outstanding! Just get through the first couple of episodes, and then it becomes an absolute roller coaster ride

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
If you've never watched The Wire it is quite possibly the greatest TV series ever and will turn you into a complete nihilist.
The Wire is excellent.

If you can find it, watch Homicide: Life on the Street before The Wire. HLOTS is also excellent and is sort of a non-prequel predecessor by the same showrunner David Simon. Richard Belzer's John Munch character ties the HLOTS and The Wire universes together with a cameo in The Wire.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The Wire is excellent.

If you can find it, watch Homicide: Life on the Street before The Wire. HLOTS is also excellent and is sort of a non-prequel predecessor by the same showrunner David Simon. Richard Belzer's John Munch character ties the HLOTS and The Wire universes together with a cameo in The Wire.
It's on my to watch list.

RE True Detective Season 2: I think the criticism of it is a bit overblown. Still a good watch but certainly not in the same league as Season 1 and Season 3 so far. Probably not really deserved of the True Detective name but I can't say it was that bad.

Also should probably throw out a recommendation for Californication if you need a good Man-Drama to watch. I loved that show. I'm currently working my through Six Feet Under now. I can't tell if it's a good show or not but somehow I'm sucked in. It's certainly different which I like.