Good TV Shows?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Movie instead of TV show, but Showtime had a free preview this weekend and I watched Twelve Monkeys again. Timely movie to watch.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Checking out this PBS documentary on East Lake Meadows.

Pretty interesting so far. Tugs at me since I grew up around there. :(

slugboy

Staff member
I’m occasionally checking out Ugly Delicious (David Chang talking food like Bourdain used to do).

The danger of Netflix is switching back and forth between Castlevania and Altered Carbon, and having to think “the cartoon has better dialogue”.

Worthy of repost if it is: Peaky Bliders. Cillian Murphy is incredible.

I’d have to watch on a tablet. I don’t have a TV away from the kids. What I’ve seen is good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m occasionally checking out Ugly Delicious (David Chang talking food like Bourdain used to do).

The danger of Netflix is switching back and forth between Castlevania and Altered Carbon, and having to think “the cartoon has better dialogue”.

I’d have to watch on a tablet. I don’t have a TV away from the kids. What I’ve seen is good.

Ugly Delicious is pretty good. So is The Chef Show with Job Favreau & Roy Choi.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I was binging Ugly Delicious with my family the other day. The crawfish episode has inspired me to make a trip to Houston just to stuff my face.

For some reason I just couldn't get into Altered Carbon 2. I'll probably give it another shot. That's a REALLY good concept if you think about all the potential for different stars to cast in it.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Trying to watch season 3 of "Westworld" on HBO,,, So far it's been a struggle! Season 1 was great, season 2 was OK, this one??? I don't know if I will make it!!
It's just strange (in a bad way)....

slugboy

Staff member
I was binging Ugly Delicious with my family the other day. The crawfish episode has inspired me to make a trip to Houston just to stuff my face.

For some reason I just couldn't get into Altered Carbon 2. I'll probably give it another shot. That's a REALLY good concept if you think about all the potential for different stars to cast in it.

One of the problems of adapting source material is that you can either make it better than the original, or worse, but you rarely keep even. Netflix sanitized some of the later Altered Carbon novels. Season 1 was the first book, and Season 2 is the third book. They made a bunch of changes (like making his sister the villain in season 1). Edgar Alan Poe is the one improvement.
Vice did a write up that seems to be fairly accurate: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/g5x8db/netflix-altered-carbon-s2-source-material

Also, if Disney can stomach the losses on sports so far this year, they look to be headed for a monopoly, or at least a commanding market position. Ford v Ferrari is a Fox movie, and Disney owns that. It looks like a lot of the movies that would go to HBO or Netflix are owned by Disney now. They own Hulu and Disney+. The third player is Amazon, so that’s a lot of money for Netflix to compete against.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I didn't keep up with the second half of the 1st season of Pennyworth and now I'm glad that I didn't because I've got something new to watch right now and it's been pretty good so far.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Next up in my DVR archives was Euphoria on HBO. Liked it quite a bit. Not sure how much this crowd would like it though.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
1st ep of Locke & Key on Netflix. Good start.

Also watching Iliza Shlesinger's Sketch Show on Netflix. I'm enjoying it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I enjoyed that show, despite its vile and depraved nature. Unfortunately, my wife couldn't stand it because of all that, so we could only make it 2/3rds the way through season 1. Its too hard to try and watch something on my own without her and without the kids being around.

I just finished season 3.

You gotta get mrs. B-elbow to let you watch. You're missing out.

Also caught HBO's ATL child murders doc, episode 1. Interesting cause it's my city, I guess. Not much new yet. Will report if anything crazy pops.

Deleted member 2897

I just finished season 3.

You gotta get mrs. B-elbow to let you watch. You're missing out.

Also caught HBO's ATL child murders doc, episode 1. Interesting cause it's my city, I guess. Not much new yet. Will report if anything crazy pops.

We just heard that from 2 others. I enjoyed that show. Hopefully she will come around. We’re still in All American, which is the bomb. And I’m watching Hunters on my own.

slugboy

Staff member
I just started on “Kingdom” (South Korean show, swords and politics and zombies so far). First episode was well written. When someone did something stupid, you knew why they did something stupid. It generates suspense really well.
Kind of like Walking Dead when it started in terms of being interesting.

I have never watched “Barry” or “The Wire”, and have heard great things about both.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
"Barry" is excellent!! Bill Hader is a surprisingly good drama actor. The storyline is a mixture of dark humor & pretty explicit action! Henry Winkler is funny & good in his part. The Chechnyan crime lord is hilarious!!

"What we do in the Shadows", originally on FX, now on Hulu, is a great, funny, quirky series about vampires, based on the movie of the same name,,, You need a weird sense of humor, (like me) to enjoy it,,,,

Last edited:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
One of the problems of adapting source material is that you can either make it better than the original, or worse, but you rarely keep even. Netflix sanitized some of the later Altered Carbon novels. Season 1 was the first book, and Season 2 is the third book. They made a bunch of changes (like making his sister the villain in season 1). Edgar Alan Poe is the one improvement.
Vice did a write up that seems to be fairly accurate: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/g5x8db/netflix-altered-carbon-s2-source-material

Also, if Disney can stomach the losses on sports so far this year, they look to be headed for a monopoly, or at least a commanding market position. Ford v Ferrari is a Fox movie, and Disney owns that. It looks like a lot of the movies that would go to HBO or Netflix are owned by Disney now. They own Hulu and Disney+. The third player is Amazon, so that’s a lot of money for Netflix to compete against.

Season 2 of Altered Carbon was horrendous. I LOVED season 1. I have never read the books. I hope they continue with S3.

I am really struggling with Ozark S3. With what has become the norm the show has cast off some of the strong male leads like Harris Yulin and Peter Mullan and gone full on female empowerment through the first few episodes. Which is fine in some instances (The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones) but bad in others (House of Cards), I have only made it through a few episodes of Ozark S3 but its just not working for me.

Tiger King was great.

I also watched an absolutely insane movie over the weekend called "Climax" by Gaspar Noe'. Its a french film about a dance troupe in the mid-90's who is throwing a party after a rehearsal when they realize that someone has spiked the sangria they have all been drinking with LSD. It's not for the faint of heart I assure you. If you ever want to convince anyone that drugs are bad, that movie is for you. I actually had a hard time deciding if it was despicable or brilliant.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I actually feel you on Ozark which, oddly enough, is why I kept watching. Kinda was rooting against the ladies.

It's interesting what they are doing with the wife. She's is slowly turning into a "bad guy". They are setting her up to be ruthless, which if you look at future seasons, becomes interesting since Bateman's character is searching for a way out while she's getting further and further entrenched into the dark side. The fork in the road for them is quickly approaching.