Golf

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There were two guys who had a chance to tie coming up 18, a par 5. Both of them chose to hit 3 wood (or equivalent) off the tee. Given the green and pin location, it was hard to hit a wedge tight enough to make birdie although both guys (one from Uva, one from Vandy) had reasonable (not easy) looks. If I am going to get beat (which happens a lot) I would rather try to hit driver and get on in two for a two putt birdie. Guys were getting on in two there. Losing by playing safe is death by a thousand paper cuts imo. (although the Vandy guy is probably kicking himself over the three missed 3-4 footers he had in the middle of the round.)

Regards,
Tin Cup

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There were two guys who had a chance to tie coming up 18, a par 5. Both of them chose to hit 3 wood (or equivalent) off the tee. Given the green and pin location, it was hard to hit a wedge tight enough to make birdie although both guys (one from Uva, one from Vandy) had reasonable (not easy) looks. If I am going to get beat (which happens a lot) I would rather try to hit driver and get on in two for a two putt birdie. Guys were getting on in two there. Losing by playing safe is death by a thousand paper cuts imo. (although the Vandy guy is probably kicking himself over the three missed 3-4 footers he had in the middle of the round.)

Regards,
Tin Cup
One of them did hit driver, but it went into very tall grass outside the cart path. He had to lay up out of the tall rough.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One of them did hit driver, but it went into very tall grass outside the cart path. He had to lay up out of the tall rough.
I understood the announcer to say they both elected not to hit driver. Perhaps I misunderstood.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer

Regards,
Tin Cup
I would have hit the driver. That's why my handicap was never below 10. LOL

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The article I read also mentioned both hit three wood.
I saw an article that said that also. I watched it last night and remember the Virginia guy hitting three wood, then the Vanderbilt guy hitting driver. He pushed the ball too far left and it hit the cart path. As I recall, the ball landed in the very tall grass outside the cart path. The article I saw said that he got a drop because it was on the cart path. The announcers made a statement about him potentially getting a drop if it was still on the path, but that was before they knew where the ball had ended up. I guess either my memory is wrong, or the article is wrong. There was a third guy playing with them, maybe he hit three wood also?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I went back and watched the replay. I was wrong. The Illinois player hit driver, but not very hard. Both the Virginia player and Vandy player hit three wood.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Wasn’t sure the best way to track today. Anything better than this?
I cannot wait for the day they move from golfstat but thats it for now. Coverage starts on golf channel and peacock at the top of the hour.

Things are still close in 4/5 matches. Kale has let his match get away from him.

1716914341783.png

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Things getting out of control for Carson too. Going to need some magic to pull this one off but it’s do-able.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would have hit the driver. That's why my handicap was never below 10. LOL
I love sports. I too struggle to break 80 but have no qualms telling a guy who is in contention at any tournament from the NCAA championship up to the Open and Masters what club to hit. I recently played golf with a former student who was on FSU's golf team a few years back. He was scratch and realized, even at that level, he had no real future in the game outside of being a club pro which he wasn't interested in. He could have played the tips with a 7 iron, wedge and putter and beat me and any 3 of my buddies (all in the 8-14 range) playing a scramble format from the ladie's tees. What is scary is that the gap between us and the guys playing today in match play is about as big as the gap from those guys to the guys who win majors on the tour.

In the fall, I switch my expertise into helping the coaching staff decide which personnel to play and what plays to run. Other hobbies include telling my mechanic how he should fix my car and my wife how she might improve her recipes by the addition or subtraction of certain seasonings and spices.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Jackets win! Onto the Final 4 against Free S̶h̶o̶e̶s̶ Sandwedges University!!

2 wins away from our first national championship since Women’s Tennis in 2007