Golf

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Anyone have any idea of how we stack up in Match Play, top to bottom?

If Christo plays, does he automatically take our 1 spot and shift everyone else down a peg? If so, that might be a strategic move. Take a hit at #1 and improve our chances at #2--#4...he is our highest ranked player. Even if he can't go well, does it make sense to take the risk?

That's not considered sandbagging, is it?

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I need to know what the rule is if he pulls out mid round? If that’s an auto point to the other team you might not even risk it. But golf rules and college ones are stupid so not sure if you can have a sub ready if he pulls out during a match.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I need to know what the rule is if he pulls out mid round? If that’s an auto point to the other team you might not even risk it. But golf rules and college ones are stupid so not sure if you can have a sub ready if he pulls out during a match.
But, even if he can't go halfway through and has to concede the match, that still strengthens 2-4 and gives us a better chance at taking the match play round.

1716858413797.png

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Loss of his match. He would lose all holes he could not complete which is essentially a forfeit of the match. He could concede the match if unable to compete.
The coach decides what order he plays in if he plays at all. May not take a chance unless he is certain Christo can play an entire 18 at a high level.
Match play is a whole lot different than stroke play. Got to make birdies and just beat your opponent hole by hole.
That must be one tough course. Those kids are all good and most are over par.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Loss of his match. He would lose all holes he could not complete which is essentially a forfeit of the match. He could concede the match if unable to compete.
The coach decides what order he plays in if he plays at all. May not take a chance unless he is certain Christo can play an entire 18 at a high level.
Match play is a whole lot different than stroke play. Got to make birdies and just beat your opponent hole by hole.
That must be one tough course. Those kids are all good and most are over par.
If the coach can set the lineup in match play, then there is room for serious gamesmanship. To strengthen in chances, why wouldn't he play the 4 @ 1 and then push everyone down, improving their chances head-to-head against the over teams? Then you'd have 4v1, 1v2, 2v3, 3v4, with a better chance of advancing. I can't believe they don't have to be seeded by either tournament scores or team position.

JoJaTeck

Georgia Tech Fan
Even with the triple on his 2nd to last hole Tai is looking really good to pull off the individual championship- hats off to the team for gutting it out today without their best player

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
If the coach can set the lineup in match play, then there is room for serious gamesmanship. To strengthen in chances, why wouldn't he play the 4 @ 1 and then push everyone down, improving their chances head-to-head against the over teams? Then you'd have 4v1, 1v2, 2v3, 3v4, with a better chance of advancing. I can't believe they don't have to be seeded by either tournament scores or team position.
I'm pretty sure the way it works is the lower seeded team announces their player for the top spot and the higher seeded team announces their opponent. Then the order of choosing each spot alternates through the remaining spots. That is to prevent what you were hypothesizing from happening.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Hope you guys caught the interviews after the round. He is a well spoken and humble guy. He was more interested in the team making the top 8.
That is a remarkable accomplishment without Christo playing. I hope he can play in the match portion but only if he is physically able to be on top of his game. Hopefully he has been able to practice putting and his short game even with a sore back.
Just to make top 8 is a great team accomplishment and a Tech guy is the NCAA individual champion.