Gold Koolaid

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I see so many player names in this thread I am drawing a blank on. I took a look at the roster, and between recruits I don't know and transfers I don't know, it's like following a new team. Might as well be optimistic.
Actually that is a good reason to be optimistic. In the “old” days all the names you did not know was a true freshman. Now these new names may already have 2-4 years of college experience. I think it is reasonable to expect to get more help from transfers than from freshmen.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I'm not convinced that our schedule is that brutal. The only two games I'd probably mark as certain losses are Klimpson and uGAg. Other than that, UNCheat was good but lost to several mediocre teams last year and has underperformed their talent level in the past, VPISU was mediocre, Wahoos- mediocre, BC- improving but mediocre, Pitt- mediocre and the game last year was closer than the score indicated. Notre Lame (Rudy was offsides) is a very good team, but not in the same conversation as Klimpson and uGAg, meaning there is a chance, however small, of beating them. Finally, the Miami water-throwing ibises (Sebastian is a ****- story for another time) are extremely talented, but have chronically underperformed, are chronically overrated, and their transfer QB that actually managed to elevate the program to relevance again is returning from injury/surgery that can be difficult to recover from (I also know this from experience), so there is a chance he may not be as dynamic as he was before. If we can take a step forward as a program (and actually make some field goals), we should (hopefully) win against NIU, KSU, and Dook, then go at least 2-2 against VPISU, the Hoos, Pitt, and BC. If we can then unexpectedly knock off one of the remaining teams, that puts us at 6-6.

No guarantee any of this happens, but I think a bowl game is more reasonable than a lot of people think, especially with what should be an enormous improvement on offense (full off-season, Sims and Gibbs a year older/more experienced, more experienced OL with several BIG transfers), defense will hopefully be leaps and bounds better (have all the pieces for a talented secondary, talented young linebackers who should challenge for snaps and Ace Eley, and what should hopefully be our best/deepest D-line in years), and special teams that are, at worst, not a liability.
The Oline and Dline need to prove they have actually made real progress. From all reports it sounds like they should be better. How much is the question as they ere very bad last year. Do we have a go to receiver is also a big question that is TBD.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Does ANYONE on here thing there’s ANY chance of losing the first 2 games, really? Kennesaw may keep us within 3 TDs if we have a lot of turnovers, but NI is toast. That’s a 5 TD or more spread.
Anything less than a blowout for the first two games would be disappointing but then, I said the same thing about the Citadel, FWIW, not much.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Opening line has us -14.5 it’s now up to 17.5 vs NIU. They went 0-11 last year but bring in a decent qb transfer from Michigan St. Decent, not great. He does have reps in big games but I see no reason why we can’t win by at least 3 td’s.
Edit: we’re -18 as of now.
It was not that long ago when Northern Illinois was a pretty good team year after year in the MAC. Don't know what happened but the preseason magazines pretty much have them pegged as the worst team in the conference now. We should beat both the Huskies and Kennesaw by four or five TDs.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I could see us turning over almost half of the starters. That should be a big improvement. And unlike others, I don’t see the schedule intimidating at all.
Well, given that we are playing three playoff contenders and two others in the top 25 while we are well below the top 50 in the preseason rankings, I would say that is intimidating but if you mean the rest of our conference opponents like BC, Virginia Tech, UVA, Duke, and Pitt then, no they are not intimidating at all. The problem is that Tech is capable of losing to any of those five with a few ill timed turnovers and penalties. We will see.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Citadel was a huge mistake. They were a below average team from a below average conference. A brand new & inexperienced staff “playing around” with play calls and schemes & poor pre-game preparation of the team caused this loss. Instead of putting the game out of reach & then experimenting I think they thought the game would eventually would break their way, so they were overconfident in their strategy. They also allowed the team to become way too undisciplined possibly because they were enamored with “culture” over competence and execution, another mistake. Not well coached & an undisciplined team is not a good recipe for success.

If we’ve not learned from the Citadel, sorry, but the staff needs to go. For now, for me the Citadel game was growing pains and and price of change to a better place down the road. If 2 years later we’re still as misguided as we were going into & during the Citadel game, we got a mess on our hands that will require near instantaneous action by the AD. These are gimme games that can occasionally end up closer than expected but under no circumstances should we be losing to Kennesaw or NI.
YEP---GT of all schools should know what happens when you underestimate a TO team.-both from PJ side and the citadel game.Who was it that ran the TO that was beating Ala at half several yrs ago when they went 11-1.? enuff said.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The Oline and Dline need to prove they have actually made real progress. From all reports it sounds like they should be better. How much is the question as they ere very bad last year. Do we have a go to receiver is also a big question that is TBD.
Weirdly, I am almost more concerned about receiver. A good receiver can make up for passes that are slightly off target or less than perfect throws

Also, a good receiver can get open more regularly meaning the offensive line doesn’t have to hold blocks forever.

I think both lines will be greatly improved but it won’t make much difference if our receivers can’t get open to convert downs and our offense keeps turning it over to the defense to keep the game close.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well, given that we are playing three playoff contenders and two others in the top 25 while we are well below the top 50 in the preseason rankings, I would say that is intimidating but if you mean the rest of our conference opponents like BC, Virginia Tech, UVA, Duke, and Pitt then, no they are not intimidating at all. The problem is that Tech is capable of losing to any of those five with a few ill timed turnovers and penalties. We will see.
I know I am repeating myself but I look at the schedule and I see 7 wins that are there for the taking. Obviously that means we can’t play like we did last year with turnovers, mistakes and penalties. There’s no excuse for not having a winning season if we can play cleanly this year.

goldfella

Georgia Tech Fan
I know I am repeating myself but I look at the schedule and I see 7 wins that are there for the taking. Obviously that means we can’t play like we did last year with turnovers, mistakes and penalties. There’s no excuse for not having a winning season if we can play cleanly this year.
I agree completely. Our crossover/non-conference slate is brutal, but it seems reasonable to expect Sims to take a huge step forward with an actual off-season, even more so if Cochran lives up to his billing and the OL is at least solid.

We definitely need to see substantial improvement from the defense, especially with the talent in the secondary and what may be the most talented/deep rotation off the edge we've had in years, but overall, a 6-7 win season shouldn't be too far-fetched.

MarineBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Alright, we have less than a month until the first game, so lets get some Gold Koolaid flowing!

What are some reasons to be excited about Tech football as we start the season?
On this, my 50th season of Georgia Tech football: Excited with the hopeful joy of watching and cheering for so many, particularly our Student Athletes who sacrifice so much to hone their skills to compete in the classroom and field to represent our program and do their best to win. Every season is a new beginning. I cheer and celebrate every win and accomplishment. I am sad and disappointed for every loss. Ahead, tied or behind in the scoreboard, I pull for our team on every single play, offense, defense, PAT, FG, punt and wait for the next play. Then on, on repeat with the same hopeful joy to the next game. Go Jackets! Fight. Win. Bust their ***!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree completely. Our crossover/non-conference slate is brutal, but it seems reasonable to expect Sims to take a huge step forward with an actual off-season, even more so if Cochran lives up to his billing and the OL is at least solid.

We definitely need to see substantial improvement from the defense, especially with the talent in the secondary and what may be the most talented/deep rotation off the edge we've had in years, but overall, a 6-7 win season shouldn't be too far-fetched.
Not far fetched at all. This team should be improved just about everywhere you look.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I do not agree but that's all right. There is no harm in a diversity of opinions. I am sticking with my prediction of 4 wins this year. Whether I am right or you are right comes down to these games: Pitt, BC, Virginia Tech, UVA, and Duke. Win 4 of those and a 7 win season is likely. Lose 4 of those and its a calamity of a possible 3 win season. My reasoning is that we will win two of those, Duke and one more. The game that will set the tone, so to speak is Pitt in early October. Assuming we steamroll Northern Illinois and Kennesaw and then lose to Clemson and UNC that will have us at 2-2 facing the Panthers at home. Win that one and good things may be in the offing. Lose it and well, it could get bad. OTOH the next game after Pitt is Duke and it would be possible to salvage the season by winning that one and be at 3-3 but then it gets tougher.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Pitt, BC, Virginia Tech, UVA, and Duke

That should be 5 wins year in and year out.
Should be but it isn't. Even given our academics, and other hurdles, we should be able to get far better players than any of those teams. I am mystified why UVA has been a thorn in our side going back decades. Now it is obvious that Bronco has done a good job with that program but still. Getting rid of Coach Beamer has helped us with Virginia Tech but it remains to be seen if we can capitalize on their ongoing circus. Duke and Coach Cut are just about to hit rock bottom, should be no worries there for a while. BC, when we play them, and Pitt should be easy wins every year. We can handily out recruit both of them or should be able to do so. Having difficulty with UNC and Miami is understandable given the recruiting prowess of both teams but we have had success against both of them. Some people believe UNC and Miami are about to dominate the Coastal but I am not so sure as both of them have long histories of underwhelming performance given the talent they have gotten over the years. I wonder if there is any way we can trade Clemson and Miami for, say Syracuse and BC?