Gold Koolaid

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
OL with all the experienced transfers and DL, especially want to see Clayton live up to his potential and White really excites me, hope he turns out to be what I expect. The depth on DL looks promising. Hope our LB is greatly improved and the young ones can help Eley and Quez.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Does ANYONE on here thing there’s ANY chance of losing the first 2 games, really? Kennesaw may keep us within 3 TDs if we have a lot of turnovers, but NI is toast. That’s a 5 TD or more spread.
Did anyone think there was a chance to lose to Citadel?

Its absolutely possible, CGC had these types of losses at Temple and he's had them here, I don't know what you think he's done here to be able to just look past any game as an automatic win, unless you are just giving him the benefit of the doubt the same way pollsters give teams like Miami, Texas, etc the benefit of the doubt in the rankings despite abysmal performances.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Does ANYONE on here thing there’s ANY chance of losing the first 2 games, really? Kennesaw may keep us within 3 TDs if we have a lot of turnovers, but NI is toast. That’s a 5 TD or more spread.
Opening line has us -14.5 it’s now up to 17.5 vs NIU. They went 0-11 last year but bring in a decent qb transfer from Michigan St. Decent, not great. He does have reps in big games but I see no reason why we can’t win by at least 3 td’s.
Edit: we’re -18 as of now.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I could see us turning over almost half of the starters. That should be a big improvement. And unlike others, I don’t see the schedule intimidating at all.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If the KSU game doesn’t scare you then you must have started watching college football last week. Early season game against a team with an ingrained program, proven coaching staff, unique system, wanting to prove a point on a big stage. I’ve watched enough college ball in my 51 years to know that game is going to be a battle. After what I’ve seen from GT football the past 4 years of my life this game has me very nervous. I’m as optimistic as anyone regarding our future under Collins, but week 2 scares me and it ought to scare our players. Bohannon will make them like they fools if they don’t come ready to play.

goldfella

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we had a lot of mistakes last year that were self-inflicted and most are easily correctable. The team is older, bigger, stronger, and more practiced at nearly every position, including a lot of the backups. And for every individual player that improves, he improves those around him. A rising tide lifts all ships.

Looking at last season, I'd say we had 5 games we were in and could have won - we managed 3. This season, I see 8-9 possible wins, so hopefully we can get at least 5 or 6.
I agree. Obviously we beat F$U, dook, and Louisville. We should have beaten Syracuse, but if I remember correctly, Sims had about a third of his Freshman moments for the entire season in that game. And then I think Pitt and NCSU were both closer than the score indicated (and I remember some issues with the officiating during the Pitt game).

goldfella

Georgia Tech Fan
If the KSU game doesn’t scare you then you must have started watching college football last week. Early season game against a team with an ingrained program, proven coaching staff, unique system, wanting to prove a point on a big stage. I’ve watched enough college ball in my 51 years to know that game is going to be a battle. After what I’ve seen from GT football the past 4 years of my life this game has me very nervous. I’m as optimistic as anyone regarding our future under Collins, but week 2 scares me and it ought to scare our players. Bohannon will make them like they fools if they don’t come ready to play.
***Evil Paul Johnson laugh intensifies***

goldfella

Georgia Tech Fan
On paper this is much better team-more size, exp,talent overall.BUT --this schedule is tough.If we lose to KSU or NI-lookout.
I'm not convinced that our schedule is that brutal. The only two games I'd probably mark as certain losses are Klimpson and uGAg. Other than that, UNCheat was good but lost to several mediocre teams last year and has underperformed their talent level in the past, VPISU was mediocre, Wahoos- mediocre, BC- improving but mediocre, Pitt- mediocre and the game last year was closer than the score indicated. Notre Lame (Rudy was offsides) is a very good team, but not in the same conversation as Klimpson and uGAg, meaning there is a chance, however small, of beating them. Finally, the Miami water-throwing ibises (Sebastian is a ****- story for another time) are extremely talented, but have chronically underperformed, are chronically overrated, and their transfer QB that actually managed to elevate the program to relevance again is returning from injury/surgery that can be difficult to recover from (I also know this from experience), so there is a chance he may not be as dynamic as he was before. If we can take a step forward as a program (and actually make some field goals), we should (hopefully) win against NIU, KSU, and Dook, then go at least 2-2 against VPISU, the Hoos, Pitt, and BC. If we can then unexpectedly knock off one of the remaining teams, that puts us at 6-6.

No guarantee any of this happens, but I think a bowl game is more reasonable than a lot of people think, especially with what should be an enormous improvement on offense (full off-season, Sims and Gibbs a year older/more experienced, more experienced OL with several BIG transfers), defense will hopefully be leaps and bounds better (have all the pieces for a talented secondary, talented young linebackers who should challenge for snaps and Ace Eley, and what should hopefully be our best/deepest D-line in years), and special teams that are, at worst, not a liability.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Definitely possible. We have a young team incorporating a bunch of transfers and the engine might be running rough. Typically teams improve the most between games 1 and 2; teams can lose a WTF game early and still improve a bunch/have a good season.

I don't think it's very likely though. Will be friggin Superbowl for KSU, so better come to play.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
what's the old saying "players win games, coaches lose them". no one seems to be questioning whether our staff will also improve this year.
I was going to mention that, but it's hard to speculate on whether they'll be taking their smart pills. With the players, there's at least something to go on. We can see the improvement in talent. If the coaches can up their game, we'll have a good year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Nor does anybody else either if we are being honest. All of our players, and everyone else's, did come highly recommended as a highly regarded coach once said. I think there has been enough infusion of talent to be optimistic though that this season will be much better than what we have seen over the last several years.

I do have a hunch or gut feel that Bama, OSU and Clemson will be good. Not sure about anyone else however,
There you go again going out on a limb about Clemson, Bama and Ohio State.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Did anyone think there was a chance to lose to Citadel?

Its absolutely possible, CGC had these types of losses at Temple and he's had them here, I don't know what you think he's done here to be able to just look past any game as an automatic win, unless you are just giving him the benefit of the doubt the same way pollsters give teams like Miami, Texas, etc the benefit of the doubt in the rankings despite abysmal performances.
Citadel was a huge mistake. They were a below average team from a below average conference. A brand new & inexperienced staff “playing around” with play calls and schemes & poor pre-game preparation of the team caused this loss. Instead of putting the game out of reach & then experimenting I think they thought the game would eventually would break their way, so they were overconfident in their strategy. They also allowed the team to become way too undisciplined possibly because they were enamored with “culture” over competence and execution, another mistake. Not well coached & an undisciplined team is not a good recipe for success.

If we’ve not learned from the Citadel, sorry, but the staff needs to go. For now, for me the Citadel game was growing pains and and price of change to a better place down the road. If 2 years later we’re still as misguided as we were going into & during the Citadel game, we got a mess on our hands that will require near instantaneous action by the AD. These are gimme games that can occasionally end up closer than expected but under no circumstances should we be losing to Kennesaw or NI.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Citadel was a huge mistake. They were a below average team from a below average conference. A brand new & inexperienced staff “playing around” with play calls and schemes & poor pre-game preparation of the team caused this loss. Instead of putting the game out of reach & then experimenting I think they thought the game would eventually would break their way, so they were overconfident in their strategy. They also allowed the team to become way too undisciplined possibly because they were enamored with “culture” over competence and execution, another mistake. Not well coached & an undisciplined team is not a good recipe for success.

If we’ve not learned from the Citadel, sorry, but the staff needs to go. For now, for me the Citadel game was growing pains and and price of change to a better place down the road. If 2 years later we’re still as misguided as we were going into & during the Citadel game, we got a mess on our hands that will require near instantaneous action by the AD. These are gimme games that can occasionally end up closer than expected but under no circumstances should we be losing to Kennesaw or NI.
Yep. I think the KSU game will be tougher than expected, and that’s a compliment to the KSU staff, but if we aren’t prepared “at a high level” it could be tough. And if that’s not a W, then yes, it’s getting ugly early. Citadel was inexcusable.

LibertyTurns

Banned
this is supposed to be a gold koolaid thread guys, not a reminder of bad losses
I was responding to other folks on here thinking we may be on an precipice of an implosion, my words not theirs but their stated position implies that. I’m really not sure where all that comes from. We should beat Kennesaw St easily. VERY EASILY. I’m not sure what the line is but I read a while back from college football betting statistics at 21 pts gives you almost a 99% chance of winning. Yeah I get it anything can happen (Mich vs Appy St), but one in a hundred chances should not occur more than once every hundred times.

Kennesaw St will be a very easy victory, likely 17-35 pts. 4 or 5 turnovers and it could be closer than 2 TDs. NI will also be an a very easy victory, 21-45pt range, could be even more. They absolutely suck. If anyone’s gnashing their teeth over these 2 games, I’m not sure where they’re getting that from. We’re a solid 5 win team this year, could sneak 6-7 wins with a few lucky breaks and a bowl win. We’re NOT A 3 win team. No way. We win 4 minimum unless major injuries or this Rona crap rears its ugly head again.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I was responding to other folks on here thinking we may be on an precipice of an implosion, my words not theirs but their stated position implies that. I’m really not sure where all that comes from. We should beat Kennesaw St easily. VERY EASILY. I’m not sure what the line is but I read a while back from college football betting statistics at 21 pts gives you almost a 99% chance of winning. Yeah I get it anything can happen (Mich vs Appy St), but one in a hundred chances should not occur more than once every hundred times.

Kennesaw St will be a very easy victory, likely 17-35 pts. 4 or 5 turnovers and it could be closer than 2 TDs. NI will also be an a very easy victory, 21-45pt range, could be even more. They absolutely suck. If anyone’s gnashing their teeth over these 2 games, I’m not sure where they’re getting that from. We’re a solid 5 win team this year, could sneak 6-7 wins with a few lucky breaks and a bowl win. We’re NOT A 3 win team. No way. We win 4 minimum unless major injuries or this Rona crap rears its ugly head again.
Well then you obviously don’t pay attention to college football and live in your own bubble. Every week in college football there are games like this and every week there are close calls and upsets. I do think we will win but I’m also not discounting our opponent and our propensity to give the ball and games away. KSU is a seasoned program (albeit at a lower level)with a seasoned coaching staff. If this game were in week 6 I wouldn’t be as worried. But it’s week 2 and a week before Clemson. That is the perfect upset scenario. We see it every year.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I believe in what CGC and his staff are doing. But after seeing the Citadel game and last year's Syracuse game I'm not taking any wins for granted before they happen. I'm hoping you're right and I have nothing to worry about. And I'm not worried about this program but until I see the guys suit up and manhandle a team we SHOULD manhandle I'm not going to expect it.

However, going to the premise of this thread, the Gold Koolaid... I really believe we've made huge strides in the overall level of talent in the program, the level of size and strength on the lines (and pretty much everywhere), and that we've got a few difference makers wearing the White and Gold. I feel like our OL is going to be significantly improved this year and give Jeff Sims a lot better protection and open up holes for our talented RBs to gash opponents. I think we've got some guys at the WR and slots positions who are capable of being difference makers and I look forward to seeing that come to fruition. I'm concerned about the TE position but at this point I really don't know enough to have a strong opinion. On defense we have players who can really play. Now they've just got to get it done. I'm excited to see what Juanyeh and Tariq do this year and about what Eley brings to the table. And if our DL can be even a little bit disruptive that will take off so much pressure from those other 7 guys and let them play with reckless abandon.