Going on the Record

How many games does Tech win next season?

• 0-3

• 7+

Results are only viewable after voting.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is an exercise in pedantry. I'm trying to remember the last time a 6 win team didn't go to a bowl that wasn't either sitting out bowls due to probation or was a casualty of COVID protocols. The reality is that 5 win teams can make bowls with the expanded bowl inventory these days, so a 6 win team will most assuredly make a bowl game. Sure, there are rare instances where a team with a 12 game schedule could end the season 6-6 and not go to a bowl, but they are exceptions, not the rule.
Nah, nothing pedantic about it. 6-6 regular season is not a losing season. There's no guarantee you'll get a bowl invite, so I choose not to assume. You can, if you like.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Nah, nothing pedantic about it. 6-6 regular season is not a losing season. There's no guarantee you'll get a bowl invite, so I choose not to assume. You can, if you like.

More pedantry. 6-6 wasn't the argument. A 6 win season was. The vast majority of 6 win seasons are a 6-7 record. As stated above, unless there is NCAA probation involved, or the couple of teams in COVID protocol last year or two, 6 win teams almost always go to a bowl.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
More pedantry. 6-6 wasn't the argument. A 6 win season was. The vast majority of 6 win seasons are a 6-7 record. As stated above, unless there is NCAA probation involved, or the couple of teams in COVID protocol last year or two, 6 win teams almost always go to a bowl.
Um, no, a 6 win season wasn't the argument. It was whether a 6 win season was a losing season (as stated in a weak drive-by). Again, nothing pedantic about it. 6 wins do not guarantee a losing season. As stated above, post-season play is not guaranteed. You yourself qualify your statement with "almost" which proves that it's not guaranteed. Weird hill to defend.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Um, no, a 6 win season wasn't the argument. It was whether a 6 win season was a losing season (as stated in a weak drive-by). Again, nothing pedantic about it. 6 wins do not guarantee a losing season. As stated above, post-season play is not guaranteed. You yourself qualify your statement with "almost" which proves that it's not guaranteed. Weird hill to defend.

The original poster you replied to said losing season. You inserted the 6 win possibility. The vast majority of 6 win seasons are losing seasons. You are arguing the narrowest of possibilities to prove that 6 wins can mean non-winning vs losing. Few here are worried about that level of nuance, just whether we win more games than we lose.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The original poster you replied to said losing season. You inserted the 6 win possibility. The vast majority of 6 win seasons are losing seasons. You are arguing the narrowest of possibilities to prove that 6 wins can mean non-winning vs losing. Few here are worried about that level of nuance, just whether we win more games than we lose.
Agreed. The "losing record" was just a drive-by slam at the program by someone thinking they were being funny. I took offense to that and that's why I commented. I don't mind if people are critical, I do care if they just criticize.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Given the alternatives, I would be very happy with a six win season, especially if one of the six was against Miami or Virginia Tech or FSU but that is just me looking for any port in the storm.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. The "losing record" was just a drive-by slam at the program by someone thinking they were being funny. I took offense to that and that's why I commented. I don't mind if people are critical, I do care if they just criticize.
I'm not sure what to say if you think 6 wins would result in a winning record. Why don't you try to support the team by advocating we get them competent coaches? Why do you want our team to continue to suffer, allow our competition to have such a huge advantage over us? It's not like the two remaining haven't put on a historical displays of incompetence. They've literally demolished previous records of futility right before our eyes.

I guess by your measure I should be cheering the fact it wasn't worse. Sorry to disappoint.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I think I’ve read the word “pendantic” (or some variation) more times in the last 5 minutes of reading this thread than I have in my previous 66+ years combined.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Given the alternatives, I would be very happy with a six win season, especially if one of the six was against Miami or Virginia Tech or FSU but that is just me looking for any port in the storm.
I would have been happy with 6 wins in Year 2 (or last year with Year 2 being the covid year we had). I won't be happy with 6 wins this year, but I do think that will keep this staff intact. I think when we are complete we should be winning between 8-9 games a year with an occasional fluctuation. We should never drop below .500. Just my expectations.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what to say if you think 6 wins would result in a winning record. Why don't you try to support the team by advocating we get them competent coaches? Why do you want our team to continue to suffer, allow our competition to have such a huge advantage over us? It's not like the two remaining haven't put on a historical displays of incompetence. They've literally demolished previous records of futility right before our eyes.

I guess by your measure I should be cheering the fact it wasn't worse. Sorry to disappoint.
First, no one ever said anything about a winning record. Don't extrapolate. Everything you've said in this post is utter nonsense.

Competency is subjective. What makes one coach competent versus another depends on who's looking. I'm pretty sure we just replaced 6 football coaches. That's over half the staff.

3 wins aren't acceptable in anyone's book. No one has ever said it was. Stop with the strawman argument.

You should be supporting the team and the program. If this staff doesn't get it done this year, additional changes will be made. Right now, no additional changes will be made, so you're just making noise.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
For someone arguing that six wins isn't a guaranteed losing season, to make this statement after we have had multiple seasons in recent history where we didn't play 12 games is hilarious.
Your post doesn't make sense to me. If we have less than 12 games, 6 wins is definitely not a losing season, it's a winning season. I'm not sure I understand what point you think is hilarious. The fact that 6 wins in 2020 would have been a winning season, not just a push? Okay. That's not really funny to me, but to each his/her/it/they/tree/picture of a vegetable own.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Your post doesn't make sense to me. If we have less than 12 games, 6 wins is definitely not a losing season, it's a winning season. I'm not sure I understand what point you think is hilarious. The fact that 6 wins in 2020 would have been a winning season, not just a push? Okay. That's not really funny to me, but to each his/her/it/they/tree/picture of a vegetable own.

I normally agree with you, but you are stretching the bounds of probability with the repeated insistence that 6 wins COULD be a winning season or a non-losing season when both possibilities, while not impossible, are extremely implausible.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I normally agree with you, but you are stretching the bounds of probability with the repeated insistence that 6 wins COULD be a winning season or a non-losing season when both possibilities, while not impossible, are extremely implausible.
I think it describes the state of our program when we are arguing over whether or not six wins is a winning year. :ROFLMAO:

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Its hilarious because we are not guaranteed 12 games. Do we get at least 12 games the vast majority of the time, yes, but there are obviously cases like 2017 or 2020 where we don't get 12 games, so it's not guaranteed.

In your argument about 6 wins, you are arguing based on the minority of cases. Under normal conditions, 6 wins means we went to a bowl and lost, ending up 6-7 so a losing season overall. Is it possible that Tech gets to 6-6 and either receives no bowl invite or declines a bowl, thus not resulting in a winning or losing season, yes, but there is a very small probability of that happening.

So again, its hilarious because in one argument you are accounting for fringe cases and the other you are ignoring them completely.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm wrong. 6 wins is not a losing year unless we play 13 or more games. How many seasons since the coaching change have we played 13 or more games? Answer: none. This has gotten out of hand. The original post was in response to a font making a drive-by swipe at the head coach. If you can't see that those types of comments aren't problematic, then there's no help for you. I'm not responding anymore.