God we needed that. (POSTGAME THREAD GT 26 - PITT 21)

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The Duke game sets up as the perfect let down game.

As a team and program we don’t know how to win. The Pitt win (on the road against a ranked team) was a weight lifted off our shoulders.

If we can stay focused and humble this week - and come out prepared to play a smart and physical game again I will be very impressed with ICBK (Interim Coach Brent Key).

Doing it at home - again - is actually a bigger challenge.

From there it will get easier with the bye week. Key will have some time to implement his changes.

/

You're 100% right. It'll be very interesting to see how this team responds. C**** never won back to back games. Duke should be much more winnable. Team has a chance at a good normal week of practice. Can CBK focus the excitement of a big win into a drive to work hard and buy in?

I'm excited to see.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I went and looked. He also liked a bunch of positive stuff about the win and about coach key.
I’m sure he isn’t happy with the lack of touches, but that’s because he’s a competitor and wants to play. I just don’t think there’s enough evidence to act like he’s in the dog house or transferring.
After the Ole Miss game, he was asked about not getting many touches. He said, "You'll have to ask the coach."

At the time, I thought it was the good answer given he was put on the spot by the press...though it was obvious he didn't agree with the decision to minimize his contribution.

But with the low number of carries he had this week, also, I'm kinda wondering if there's something deeper going on.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I had gone to Madison to see the Badgers get demolished by Ill-Annoy 34-10.
They had 4 Pass intereference penalties, threw 3 interceptions, a fumbled kickoff and generally looked pathetic at home.
I came home late and went to bed with Tech up 9-7 starting the 4th quarter
I almost didn't want to look at the score this morning, but I was ecstatic when I did.
"Keys" that jumped out to me were only 4 penalities compared to 12 for Pitt. No turnovers compared to 5 for Pitt. And 4-4 in FGs.
What the heck happened to cause that turnaround ???

THWG

Helluva Engineer
His knee hit before he hit the pylon
Yeah, but you couldn't see where the ball was. It's possible that the ball crossed the line before he hit the pylon. I think he was short and they made the right call, but at the same time, there was not indisputable evidence imo. They just guessed that the ball was short and put it short. The call should have stood unless they had a view that they weren't showing on tv.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
His knee hit before he hit the pylon
True but you cannot tell if the ball was not over the white goal line which would be a TD. Also, I see where on the 28 minute recap of the game on the ACC YouTube channel they skip over that play. Not sure they want any controversy. All is well that ends well but there may not have been enough to reverse that call.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Also another random thought:
We were lighting them up all night. I remember 22 liked to talk a lot the last time we played them, but even though he had a good game, we lit that kid up. He was not talking tonight.
Lots of their guys limping off the field or wincing on closeups. We played physical football tonight and I loved it. Damn fine accomplishment to punch Pitt in the mouth. They are a tough team, and usually do that to us.
Nice to see the return of physical football to the Flats. Can't wait to see it live with my own eyes again.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I disagree because even though you could tell his knee hit before the ball hit the orange pylon, there was no way to tell if the ball was actually over the goal line when his knee hit.
Agree. The refs seemed to spot the ball where his knee hit rather than where the ball was when he was down. Where the ball was appeared to be a TD but, if not, the spot would have been no further than 2 inches from the goal line.

Terrible call and spot.

Hjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Except for failing to score from the 1, the offense in the 4th quarter was stellar. We had not scored a 4th quarter point all year (they said on TV) before Pitt. Did we struggle in Qs 1-3, yes, but we looked like a different O in the 4th.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
True but you cannot tell if the ball was not over the white goal line which would be a TD. Also, I see where on the 28 minute recap of the game on the ACC YouTube channel they skip over that play. Not sure they want any controversy. All is well that ends well but there may not have been enough to reverse that call.
Yeah, you know the indisputable evidence rule. They called it a TD & are supposed to have clear video evidence the call was wrong, in this case a shot of the knee on the ground and where the ball was when it hit. Somehow they made a subjective call & said "we think the ball should be about here". The fact they didn't have a good picture is relevant and should have prevented them from reversing the call. That was a BS call 100%.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Failure to address the things you mentioned in your title cost Collins his job. We passed the eyeball test last night as far as looking like a "real" football team. It just seemed like there was someone in charge, nobody panicking, timeouts were used effectively, no false starts, etc. We have a long way to go but when we play like we did last night we can be competitive with ACC Costal teams. I am seeing progress* everywhere on the D side (Line, LB's, and DB's) and this predates the Pitt game. While we did give up two long drives via the pass at the end you don't see 3 men covering one guy and the WR running free on the opposite side with no defender within 20 yards.

*ETA - maybe it's bc I want to see progress though. ;)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was at a concert last night, so I missed the live chat. Seeing the in replay knowing the outcome lacks immediacy. My question is how was Key able to fix the kicking game and innumerable mental errors in one week? Is he actually a better coach than we realized?

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Failure to address the things you mentioned in your title cost Collins his job. We passed the eyeball test last night as far as looking like a "real" football team. It just seemed like there was someone in charge, nobody panicking, timeouts were used effectively, no false starts, etc. We have a long way to go but when we play like we did last night we can be competitive with ACC Costal teams. I am seeing progress everywhere on the D side (Line, LB's, and DB's) and this predates the Pitt game. While we did give up two long drives via the pass at the end you don't see 3 men covering one guy and the WR running free on the opposite side with no defender within 20 yards.
I am looking forward to watching the replay today. CFB is crazy sometimes.......(y)

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I was at a concert last night, so I missed the live chat. Seeing the in replay knowing the outcome lacks immediacy. My question is how was Key able to fix the kicking game and innumerable mental errors in one week? Is he actually a better coach than we realized?
Key just might only be a "normal" HC, who cuts out the BS, doesn't talk in sound bites, and focuses on what's important- the details.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
For punts, they ran a different formation and the punter got the ball out quicker. Just speculation on my part, but with statements from Key this week, the way the players played until this game, and the way players played in this game, I would say that this week was the first time they practiced with detail and purpose.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
That was fun. Outstanding defense minus the last 3 minutes. Even though the offense struggled, we ran enough plays to wear Pitt down in the 4th. Charlie Thomas is awesome but kudos to the D in the first half without him. Good for key switching kickers. I think Jude can do it but so much has gone wrong for him in his career that a switch was definitely needed.