God we needed that. (POSTGAME THREAD GT 26 - PITT 21)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
"I know there are a lot of Jeff Sims believers on Twitter, especially in pockets of the analytics community, but given his struggles this season and his underlying metrics (-0.21 EPA/dropback, 34% success rate, 3.96 yards/dropback), it’s hard to recommend that he continue to start at quarterback.

...given an interim head coach and seven games remaining in the season, it seems like Tech has an opportunity to get more tape on all of its available quarterback options so that whoever’s in charge next spring (whether parts of the offensive staff are retained or not) can make a more educated decision."

I don't agree that Sims needs to be replaced as starter, but it might be time to get Sims' backup(s) on the field for a series or two to see what they can do.
It’s frustrating that year after year we talk about how much potential Sims has. It needs to start coming together for him. If the new coaches can’t make that happen it will certainly be time to look at what the other athletes can bring to the table.

JacketFan137

Banned
Works if you can avoid 3 and outs while trying to wear down the DL plus brings secondary up to help run support. We have put Sims into too many third and long situations. He has scrambled for first downs due to his running ability.
yeah coaches love getting to 2nd and 2 kinda situations cause it allows you to really go crazy with the playbook, take a risk and go for broke. puts a lot less pressure on your qb to do something. feels like we are more 2nd and 12 than 2nd and 2

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
One thing I give Sims credit for, at least last game, is that he's finally using that athleticism as a weapon. I've preached for the longest time that Sims needed to be used like a weapon...his legs and ability to make defenders miss should scare the living daylights out of defenses. If I'm Key, I'm telling Sims "Look, we're going to use your arms, but we're also going to ride your legs to a bowl game. I know you can do it, and this team is behind you 100%."
Ran for 81 yards net against Pitt. His yards per carry (4.3) were actually better than his yards per pass attempt (3.8). even including the sacks.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
It really pisses me off that we consistently can not make a damn yard when we have to. If I were Key I would practice that until by God our men would make damn sure they get it done the next time it comes up. Enough of this wimping out when you have to man up and beat the other guy's arse! That is what football really comes down to. Now let's get it done.
Some of blocking schemes on those 3rd and 4th and short make no sense. One of those plays we had two TEs blocking two separate defenders on the line while the tackle was trying to make a block at the second level. One of the TEs missed his block and the defender stopped the carrier behind the line of scrimmage. Why are we blocking like we need four yards when we only needed one? I do not get it. Also, our right guard was absolutely horrendous in every aspect of the game.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sort of interesting analysis from Bill Connelly.

Basically GT won just a handful of plays, but those plays and TO's allowed them to pull the upset. 5 offensive plays went for 165 yds. The other 66 play - 169 yds.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Some of blocking schemes on those 3rd and 4th and short make no sense. One of those plays we had two TEs blocking two separate defenders on the line while the tackle was trying to make a block at the second level. One of the TEs missed his block and the defender stopped the carrier behind the line of scrimmage. Why are we blocking like we need four yards when we only needed one? I do not get it. Also, our right guard was absolutely horrendous in every aspect of the game.
Calijah Kancey is a beast. It didn't help our Guards to play against him.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for explaining this. I was livid when WE had to burn that timeout because THEY was taking too long. We did it to them on back to back plays real late when they were trying to score, so…
Quick question... do you think if Collins had been on the sidelines we would have done it back to Pitt ever? I guess that was more of a rhetorical question. I don't think anyone here thinks Collins would have picked up on it and done it back.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Quick question... do you think if Collins had been on the sidelines we would have done it back to Pitt ever? I guess that was more of a rhetorical question. I don't think anyone here thinks Collins would have picked up on it and done it back.
Nor do I think he would have burned the timeout…

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

Rumor is Collins got an extra $1 per unused time out as part of his buyout. Can't confirm, but that's the rumor.

No, he would not have likely even known the rule or how best to apply it to our advantage. However, if the ball had rolled out of bounds in front of him, he most likely would've picked it up and spotted it for the ref! ;) :LOL:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Rumor is Collins got an extra $1 per unused time out as part of his buyout. Can't confirm, but that's the rumor.

No, he would not have likely even known the rule or how best to apply it to our advantage. However, if the ball had rolled out of bounds in front of him, he most likely would've picked it up and spotted it for the ref! ;) :LOL:
Some people were bent out of shape by the random use of time outs.
Him chasing the football to give it to the line judge set me off.

If we had great players and coaches with great admin support, he could spend his time during the game modeling that last tenth of a percentage point of relentless effort to win the national championship. Not sure he will be getting job offer from a team like thst.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Not a fan of Collins but I did always find it silly when our fans pleaded with Collins to:

1) have Sims throw risky passes down the field with 2 timeouts and 40 seconds left

with hopes that we could

2) drive 50 yards to get inside the opponent 30

in order to

3) miss a field goal by a mile as the clock hit 0:00 for halftime lol

Like the objective is to score points - this team was never built under Collins to score points in that scenario. Doesn’t matter whether he takes a knee and loses 3 timeouts or lets Sims throw incomplete passes/interceptions downfield. In fact there’s a fair argument to make that an interception could concede additional points if we are relying on our OL in return coverage after an INT or giving the ball back to a competent offense/kicker with a few seconds left.

This is also why you run the ball or a high percentage pass on 3rd and 25. There are simply more things that could go wrong than could go right if you make an aggressive playcall. Plus you can pick up a big chunk of field position running the ball when the opponent drops 8 guys into deep coverage to stop any realistic first down attempt.

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Like the objective is to score points - this team was never built under Collins to score points in that

I hear you, but the fan frustration while maybe a bit misguided was still warranted.

The ability to score in two min every now and then is essential to a winning football program. If you’re so bad on offense that you have absolutely zero chance at scoring with two min and three time outs then why are you even playing the game?