God we needed that. (POSTGAME THREAD GT 26 - PITT 21)

slugboy

Staff member
I was at a concert last night, so I missed the live chat. Seeing the in replay knowing the outcome lacks immediacy. My question is how was Key able to fix the kicking game and innumerable mental errors in one week? Is he actually a better coach than we realized?
It’s one game (it’s a great game, but it’s only one game), and we really lucked out with Pitt dropping a flat-out ton of interceptions. Maybe the rain helped us. I can’t tell how much is Key being a decent coach vs. Collins being a terrible one, though. Key could be close to average vs Collins being so dismally bad, or Key could be good.
What I do know, even after just one game, is that Key is a much better coach than Collins.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, and Dontae’s now liking tweets about not getting respect and that he needs more touches. IIWII
That may be why he is not getting said "respect" and more "touches". Football is a team sport. Want to be the "Man" at running back? Move the pile like Hasan did in the fourth quarter and block someone in passing situations. Want respect? Earn it.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Well, Miami and UNC may have something to say about that but once again, chaos reigns supreme in the Coastal.
B50DF2BF-9767-497A-A079-DEC012872A0A.jpeg

The wheel of destiny returns!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Our offense was careless with the ball, despite what you see in the box score for turnovers. We were fortunate.

Special teams were a clear improvement.

Too early to know about penalties. We had many single games with few penalties, even seasons,
in the past. I’m hopeful we can maintain what we saw yesterday.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
That may be why he is not getting said "respect" and more "touches". Football is a team sport. Want to be the "Man" at running back? Move the pile like Hasan did in the fourth quarter and block someone in passing situations. Want respect? Earn it.
To paraphrase your post - "want to make money at the next level ? Earn it."

JacketFan137

Banned
hall just flat out looked better all game and made some big plays in crunch time. i think key/long/whoever set up the rb rotation made the right choice

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was at a concert last night, so I missed the live chat. Seeing the in replay knowing the outcome lacks immediacy. My question is how was Key able to fix the kicking game and innumerable mental errors in one week? Is he actually a better coach than we realized?
Well, I will give the credit to Key for choosing Jason Semore, and I will give Semore the actual credit, since he is the interim ST coach. Maybe Key saw something about Semore's personality/style that would make a difference?

I don't think C*****'s lack of coaching ability can be overstated.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Interesting but I disagree with the guy who wrote that it was "...100% about Pitt" not being prepared, ready to play, reading their press clippings, etc. Yes, that did play a part and Coach Pat looked stunned at how poorly his boys played but for anyone who has watched this team the last three years, the difference was breathtaking. The effort level alone was far better and the clutch play of Thomas, Sims, Stewart, McGowan, and AC (my apologies, I can't remember how to spell his name but you know who he is, the dude always around the ball) had far more to do with the upset than Pitt's poor play.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It’s one game (it’s a great game, but it’s only one game), and we really lucked out with Pitt dropping a flat-out ton of interceptions. Maybe the rain helped us. I can’t tell how much is Key being a decent coach vs. Collins being a terrible one, though. Key could be close to average vs Collins being so dismally bad, or Key could be good.
What I do know, even after just one game, is that Key is a much better coach than Collins.
That last statement is a very low bar. :D

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Our offense was careless with the ball, despite what you see in the box score for turnovers. We were fortunate.

Special teams were a clear improvement.

Too early to know about penalties. We had many single games with few penalties, even seasons,
in the past. I’m hopeful we can maintain what we saw yesterday.
It's why the comparison to UW was so interesting, They were favored at home ( Like Pitt ) and did things they normally do not do = penalties, turnovers, uninspired play all around. Like Tech, Illinois obviously wanted it more. Next week, who knows ? For today, I am so pumped !!

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Great win, and I bet it feels even better for the players.

Defense played phenomenally well for all but about 4 minutes of the game. Especially good to see that in the first half with Thomas sitting as that has been an issue when he has gone out. Also, him coming in fresh in the second half was a silver lining as his energy, and play making, picked up the defense when it had been getting worn down in the past. The defense has been for the most part has been much improved this year, barring the Ole Miss game, but has gotten worn down and put in some bad situations. UGA will probably be ugly against their D but for the rest of the games we can hope the offense looks more like it did against UCF but hopefully converting the opportunities.

Speaking of that, having the ability to make FGS makes such a difference. Last week we missed two FGs in the first half, the first a 32 yard FG and then a 37 yard one. Because of that we were down 6 at the half instead of tied. Because of that when we had 4th and 3 from the 5 in the second half down 9 we probably went for it believing both we couldn't trust the kicker but also it being a two score game mean we probably felt that we needed 7 there if we wanted to win. So we went for it and failed. So that is 9 points at that point related to the kicking game. Later, we had 4th and 9 from the 15 and went for it down two scores halfway through the 4th. Had we scored those other 9 points and it's a 5 point game, we likely go for 3 there as well. All in all we can't blame everything on the kicker, and we need to get better at redzone TD% for sure, but the knock on effect of not being able to make the easy kicks really hurt us.

Yesterday was the opposite. Between the defense and the FGs we were able to maintain a lead for most of the game and put the pressure on Pitt. Had we missed the first two FGs, from 37 and 33, we may very well have approached the third FG drive differently, although 4th and 16 means we likely go for 3 regardless, and if we're down 7-0 having missed two FGs then we for sure go for it on 4th and 3 at the 13. Stewart getting us those reliable points was absolutely crucial and if we can have that along with the defense we've seen for ~70% of the year then we can have shots to win games going forward.

My question is how was Key able to fix the kicking game and innumerable mental errors in one week? Is he actually a better coach than we realized?

For kicking, he switched to Stewart instead of Kelly, which I think was likely to happen after last week's game regardless. None of the kicks were overly long (long was 40) so Kelly has the ability to hit those, but at this point it's probably mental with him. Punting it looked like we rana different formation but also it looked like the punter just got the ball out quicker, which helped with not getting block but did give Pitt some return opportunities. Fortunately our coverage was pretty good and Pitt liked to block in the back. Otherwise we still had plenty of mental errors, but I think the biggest difference was just pressure being off the players. Both from the cloud hanging over head but also in the game since we were playing from ahead instead of behind.

I wouldn't read too much into this game in regards to Key. He had 5 days so not a whole lot will be accomplished in terms of actual coaching and a lot of what we saw against Pitt we saw before. We played good D against Clemson for the most part and got worn down. Good D against UCF and got worn down. We played good D against Pitt but instead of getting worn down, we had a fresh Thomas come in and make some energizing plays. Then we got worn down. Offense still had a lot of issues, and issues in the redzone. I'd argue offensively we did better against UCF than Pitt on the whole but FGs make all the difference in regards to score but the pitt D is also a lot better. Kicking game difference was a different kicker, and while the punt blocking was embarrassing, I wouldn't have expected to give up a punt block every game regardless of who was HC.

It'll be more interesting to see, in regards to Key, what the team looks like after a couple of weeks, especially for the UVA game, after the bye, and then FSU (First game after a bye on a normal prep week). Remember, it was right at a year ago that we beat a, then, 21st ranked UNC team by 23. Like Pitt, they too lost the turnover battle 0-3 and the rest we all know.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Interesting but I disagree with the guy who wrote that it was "...100% about Pitt" not being prepared, ready to play, reading their press clippings, etc. Yes, that did play a part and Coach Pat looked stunned at how poorly his boys played but for anyone who has watched this team the last three years, the difference was breathtaking. The effort level alone was far better and the clutch play of Thomas, Sims, Stewart, McGowan, and AC (my apologies, I can't remember how to spell his name but you know who he is, the dude always around the ball) had far more to do with the upset than Pitt's poor play.
That's the media. They like to appear to be smart since what they do isn't all that difficult. So when they get it wrong (as they so often do), they like to point out how the strong man stumbled and how the doer of deeds could have done it better.

In this case the difference in the game was almost all in the turnovers, and we caused those turnovers with a 'make something happen' mindset. The dude who said 'it was all Pitt not being ready' either doesn't know that...or choses to ignore the facts to fit his narrative.

Those who can do. Those who can't report on it.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Any win is a good win. And it feels good. Turnovers were the difference. Next week is huge because we had this same win last year against UNC and then tanked he rest of the season. Win 2 in a row next week and the entire psyche of everyone changes. I think we finally win 2 in a row but turnovers will probably tell the story once again.
We absolutely have to fill up the stadium Saturday to keep the ball rolling.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Must’ve been a Pitt fan! That’s how most people react to their team losing... especially when mistakes were made.
Pitt made a lot. They missed opportunities on D as many have said, but they also played behind the sticks and gave field position with multiple penalties. Ironically, their punt return team was AWFUL. They committed multiple penalties that really helped us with field position. That said, we still made the plays to stop them. I was really impressed with our D and special teams... that was hard to ignore. I hope we can hang on to that chip on our shoulder for a few more weeks.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Is he actually a better coach than we realized?
After one game hard to tell, I think he is a little more like George Joseph O'Leary (I will put you in position to win but you have to make the plays) I don't see kiss kissing butt but telling you like it is. In my opinion I think he could be a very good Head coach for Tech. But I would wait and see how the season plays out.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
After the Ole Miss game, he was asked about not getting many touches. He said, "You'll have to ask the coach."

At the time, I thought it was the good answer given he was put on the spot by the press...though it was obvious he didn't agree with the decision to minimize his contribution.

But with the low number of carries he had this week, also, I'm kinda wondering if there's something deeper going on.
After what someone said earlier, now I’m thinking he was banged up and they don’t talk about injuries. I dunno.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Great win, and I bet it feels even better for the players.

Defense played phenomenally well for all but about 4 minutes of the game. Especially good to see that in the first half with Thomas sitting as that has been an issue when he has gone out. Also, him coming in fresh in the second half was a silver lining as his energy, and play making, picked up the defense when it had been getting worn down in the past. The defense has been for the most part has been much improved this year, barring the Ole Miss game, but has gotten worn down and put in some bad situations. UGA will probably be ugly against their D but for the rest of the games we can hope the offense looks more like it did against UCF but hopefully converting the opportunities.

Speaking of that, having the ability to make FGS makes such a difference. Last week we missed two FGs in the first half, the first a 32 yard FG and then a 37 yard one. Because of that we were down 6 at the half instead of tied. Because of that when we had 4th and 3 from the 5 in the second half down 9 we probably went for it believing both we couldn't trust the kicker but also it being a two score game mean we probably felt that we needed 7 there if we wanted to win. So we went for it and failed. So that is 9 points at that point related to the kicking game. Later, we had 4th and 9 from the 15 and went for it down two scores halfway through the 4th. Had we scored those other 9 points and it's a 5 point game, we likely go for 3 there as well. All in all we can't blame everything on the kicker, and we need to get better at redzone TD% for sure, but the knock on effect of not being able to make the easy kicks really hurt us.

Yesterday was the opposite. Between the defense and the FGs we were able to maintain a lead for most of the game and put the pressure on Pitt. Had we missed the first two FGs, from 37 and 33, we may very well have approached the third FG drive differently, although 4th and 16 means we likely go for 3 regardless, and if we're down 7-0 having missed two FGs then we for sure go for it on 4th and 3 at the 13. Stewart getting us those reliable points was absolutely crucial and if we can have that along with the defense we've seen for ~70% of the year then we can have shots to win games going forward.

For kicking, he switched to Stewart instead of Kelly, which I think was likely to happen after last week's game regardless. None of the kicks were overly long (long was 40) so Kelly has the ability to hit those, but at this point it's probably mental with him. Punting it looked like we rana different formation but also it looked like the punter just got the ball out quicker, which helped with not getting block but did give Pitt some return opportunities. Fortunately our coverage was pretty good and Pitt liked to block in the back. Otherwise we still had plenty of mental errors, but I think the biggest difference was just pressure being off the players. Both from the cloud hanging over head but also in the game since we were playing from ahead instead of behind.

I wouldn't read too much into this game in regards to Key. He had 5 days so not a whole lot will be accomplished in terms of actual coaching and a lot of what we saw against Pitt we saw before. We played good D against Clemson for the most part and got worn down. Good D against UCF and got worn down. We played good D against Pitt but instead of getting worn down, we had a fresh Thomas come in and make some energizing plays. Then we got worn down. Offense still had a lot of issues, and issues in the redzone. I'd argue offensively we did better against UCF than Pitt on the whole but FGs make all the difference in regards to score but the pitt D is also a lot better. Kicking game difference was a different kicker, and while the punt blocking was embarrassing, I wouldn't have expected to give up a punt block every game regardless of who was HC.

It'll be more interesting to see, in regards to Key, what the team looks like after a couple of weeks, especially for the UVA game, after the bye, and then FSU (First game after a bye on a normal prep week). Remember, it was right at a year ago that we beat a, then, 21st ranked UNC team by 23. Like Pitt, they too lost the turnover battle 0-3 and the rest we all know.
Yes Stewart split the uprights with elevation on his XP’s which is telling, his FG’s looked strong, we put an extra defender in the backfield on punts, and the punter got the ball off much quicker. It’s obvious someone worked hard with the punter last week.

JacketFan137

Banned
Yes Stewart split the uprights with elevation on his XP’s which is telling, his FG’s looked strong, we put an extra defender in the backfield on punts, and the punter got the ball off much quicker. It’s obvious someone worked hard with the punter last week.
yeah they had to work on him getting going faster. good punters are fluid and get the ball and immediately start their punt.

our guy was taking his time on some of those. someone either coached him up or he took accountability and worked this week

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
And no super fancy motion on punts. It appears to me that CBK and staff just simplified everything and let the guys play fast. That and made a few personnel adjustments that should have been made earlier it appears.