Get to know Jerry Howard

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
China could play BB for us.
chyna3_1461223030.jpg

MountPGT1990

Banned
Touché, but it's already all broken since it was so fragile ;)

Look, I'm pulling for KB as much as y'all. I hope he comes in healthy and goes Dwyer beast mode on the Vols. I'm just removing my gold colored glasses and from a realistic perspective I think there will be some drop off from him and DM. Other wise if KB is bigger, faster, etc than DM then why was he not the starter?? again see reference above to grandma's china

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The most reassuring thing about this entire situation is that hearing good things about guys (freshmen especially) in camp is usually a great sign. We heard great things about Mills last year, same can be said about JeT as a frosh. Even at that other school I vividly remember dwag fans pumped about signing Keith Marshall then when camp came around the guy that everyone was talking about was Todd Gurley. (My apologies for using that other school as a reference)

If you knew it was wrong you shouldn't have done it:D

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Look, I'm pulling for KB as much as y'all. I hope he comes in healthy and goes Dwyer beast mode on the Vols. I'm just removing my gold colored glasses and from a realistic perspective I think there will be some drop off from him and DM. Other wise if KB is bigger, faster, etc than DM then why was he not the starter?? again see reference above to grandma's china
Nobody is saying that there won't be a drop off.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Actually a lot of people are saying there will not be a drop off at Bback and we can just plug and play and move on
The great news is that unless we win the natty, you'll be able to claim that you were right. If we were to lose in the NC then you could say...'yeah, but if we'd had Mills we would've won a Championship!" And who could prove you wrong? Critics and naysayers typically adopt those bad habits because it is a safe place to shelter their egos.

The "rose colored glasses" you so proudly disavow is not naive optimism but is instead dogged determination to not be a victim to circumstances. There will only be a drop-off if the team suffers from your level of victimhood. If instead, they take ownership of the situation and decide as a team that they will not be denied, then I'm fairly confident that we will be at least as successful as we would have been before the sad story unfolded.

But who can ever say? I personally would prefer to be wrong in believing that I am not a victim of circumstances than to be right in believing myself incapable of rising above them.

So why be so negative about it when neither side can ever be right? And why try to proselytize the victim mentality when at best it only serves to establish your grounds to say 'I told you so' in the future?

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
The great news is that unless we win the natty, you'll be able to claim that you were right. If we were to lose in the NC then you could say...'yeah, but if we'd had Mills we would've won a Championship!" And who could prove you wrong? Critics and naysayers typically adopt those bad habits because it is a safe place to shelter their egos.

The "rose colored glasses" you so proudly disavow is not naive optimism but is instead dogged determination to not be a victim to circumstances. There will only be a drop-off if the team suffers from your level of victimhood. If instead, they take ownership of the situation and decide as a team that they will not be denied, then I'm fairly confident that we will be at least as successful as we would have been before the sad story unfolded.

But who can ever say? I personally would prefer to be wrong in believing that I am not a victim of circumstances than to be right in believing myself incapable of rising above them.

So why be so negative about it when neither side can ever be right? And why try to proselytize the victim mentality when at best it only serves to establish your grounds to say 'I told you so' in the future?

Amen! And if by the end of the year the starting BB has 1500 yds rushing, they'll come on the board and say, "Well I have to eat crow and it tastes really good." That will be the extent of their comments about how wrong they were, and they'll go on to find some other position to make dire predictions about. But should the BB struggle, they will post a thousand times about how they saw it coming, everybody else was crazy to not see it, how everybody needs to listen to them next time.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer

If a font uses the phrase gold-colored glasses as a negative towards Tech fans routinely, then said font is probably a troll, and gets ignored by me.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
FWIW "howard is good, and might be super successful" and "howard probably won't be a productive as mills would have been" are not mutually exclusive.

It's unknowable, of course, but I don't think either one is a particularly crazy notion. (it's also not crazy that maybe howard has a better top gear than mills, and will end up being the better back of the course of his career.)

I guess I just don't get the vitriol.

We all want GT to succeed.

I think if we're honest, we're all worried that Mills' loss will be a gut punch, and all hopeful that it won't. It's fine and healthy to share opinions and banter and whatnot, it's a message board, I get it. I just don't get actually getting upset about what is essentially a big d*ck contest about seeing the future.

We all know that we don't know, so smile and enjoy college football :)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yep, it was said in another thread that we all post on here with the base assumption we want GT to be the best it can be.

Sometimes people's feelings get so invested in being right that they seem to forget that point. Other times, a dislike for a coaching staff decision or scheme rears up. Either way the board is for fans to discuss the program. Thoughtful dialogue about players, scheme or coaching decisions is fun to engage in and a great way for many of us (myself included) who have moved away from Atlanta to stay connected to the program and have a sense of community and belonging with the GT fanbase that is hard to find in some places.

Thank you to all of the people on here (some I normally disagree with even) that put out their point of view as just that, and not some flame war inducing argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, and therefore edited after I hit post because the iPhone likes to make me look as though I can neither spell nor use punctuation.