Get out the Flea Spray; GT Traveling to the pound Friday Night Lights! GT@uGa

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
So nice to win against a P5 team in the 'preseason' and not saddle ourselves with embarrassment before ACC play even starts. A few comments, which do nothing to take away from the pleasure of winning! First time I have had a chance to watch this team play:
  1. this team has some shooters! Best display of three point shooting I have seen in some time, and it continues a trend statistically. Those two frosh add something special
  2. I just hope we are not a "live by the sword (3 point shots) or die by the sword" as so many teams can be. I don't *think* we are as we clearly are trying to utilize the threat of the 3 to open passing lanes for slashers, hence our high % on 2 point shooting. Time will tell
  3. I was NOT impressed with UGa but if they had just shot their FT's better this might have been an L for us
  4. Our defense....lacks. Something. This looks like our achilles heel to me as this stage of the season.
  5. WHO blocked that layup attempt late that turned the game for us? It was 75-73 GT after we had just scored and UGa came down on a fast break and their guy was met at the rim by 2 (maybe 3?) of our guys. Announcers were muttering it should have been a goaltend, but that block turned the game. We go down and score to make it 77-73, they pressed for a poor outside shot which they missed, and we got Devoe in the lane for a beautiful short jumper. 79-73 and you could see by their body language the game was ovah! So, who DID block that shot?
Looks like a very interesting team to me. With the frosh important pieces, I worry most about the defense but this team will have a punchers chance against anyone they play.
that block/goaltend was huge. just as important as the block was the uga player laying on the ground complaining about the foul/goaltend. mike was planning to slow the tempo, but peeked back and saw him laying on the floor and then pushed it for a 5 on 4 advantage and we got an easy bucket out of it. 4 point swing in a matter of seconds. heady play by mike.

Last edited:

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
have not rewatched the tape yet, but watching live one really big improvement was down the stretch the team did a GREAT job on almost every possession of making sure the ball got back to mike. that has not always happened in the past. we usually do not run princeton this way, but it certainly looked like those were specifically called actions down the stretch for mike. (notably the princeton set where mike feeds howard at the elbow, cuts off ball to the rim, then receives a pindown and returns to howard to curl off him for a 1-dribble DHO or stationary HO. we've been using that a lot this year for mike and deivon usually, and we went to it down the stretch numerous times to ensure mike had the ball without going pure iso.) and when initial actions broke down a time or two, others did not freelance, they maintained discipline and got it back to mike. even the ush post up in the final 2 minutes came after running a princeton set for mike coming off an ush pindown, and then mike fed ush (after what might have been a switch and mismatch in the post if i saw it correctly).

to my eye, that level of EOG discipline (shot selection) was not common last year nor in earlier games this year, which resulted in some poor shot selection final 5 minutes of some (too many) close games.

Last edited:

GTcanWINagain

Banned
Be honest. How many slack-jawed yokels did you have to knock out by halftime?

Actually, for legal purposes, do not answer that question.

:censored:;)
I bought good seats so 5 rows from the court and this Dawg season ticket holder went “completely out of his mind” every time I cheered for a good Tech play! He also heckled our players nonstop - I think he helped fire them up!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Anyone know why Jalon Moore didn’t play? He played well for sparse minutes last Friday night.

I’d like to see G.T. have a better Assist to TO ratio than 17-14, although it’s early and we did much better in the second half when the pressure was turned up in a fairly tight game, Tech did force 14 from the Dawggies, who had 16 assists with that transfer lineup.

BuzzBy

Georgia Tech Fan
Snitker claiming to be a MuttFan…I’m placing him in the Doghouse with that other pet, Foxworthy!

Way to play tough guys, and Devoe picked the right game to have a career one!!
I really enjoyed the 7 minute Braves conversation with the commentators during the first half. GT went from 5 down to 3 up while they droned on about MLB. What a joke....You typically see that during a blowout.

I've come to expect an Athens clown car to show up for these games, but I'm always surprised at how many clowns get out of the car.

Hug the win, baby!

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
So nice to win against a P5 team in the 'preseason' and not saddle ourselves with embarrassment before ACC play even starts. A few comments, which do nothing to take away from the pleasure of winning! First time I have had a chance to watch this team play:
  1. this team has some shooters! Best display of three point shooting I have seen in some time, and it continues a trend statistically. Those two frosh add something special
  2. I just hope we are not a "live by the sword (3 point shots) or die by the sword" as so many teams can be. I don't *think* we are as we clearly are trying to utilize the threat of the 3 to open passing lanes for slashers, hence our high % on 2 point shooting. Time will tell
  3. I was NOT impressed with UGa but if they had just shot their FT's better this might have been an L for us
  4. Our defense....lacks. Something. This looks like our achilles heel to me as this stage of the season.
  5. WHO blocked that layup attempt late that turned the game for us? It was 75-73 GT after we had just scored and UGa came down on a fast break and their guy was met at the rim by 2 (maybe 3?) of our guys. Announcers were muttering it should have been a goaltend, but that block turned the game. We go down and score to make it 77-73, they pressed for a poor outside shot which they missed, and we got Devoe in the lane for a beautiful short jumper. 79-73 and you could see by their body language the game was ovah! So, who DID block that shot?
Looks like a very interesting team to me. With the frosh important pieces, I worry most about the defense but this team will have a punchers chance against anyone they play.

Announcers said Smith then Howard, so I am not quite clear.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I really enjoyed the 7 minute Braves conversation with the commentators during the first half. GT went from 5 down to 3 up while they droned on about MLB. What a joke....You typically see that during a blowout.

I've come to expect an Athens clown car to show up for these games, but I'm always surprised at how many clowns get out of the car.

Hug the win, baby!

Like, I get that they wanted to do the whole in-game interview thing. But do that crap early in the 1st half so you're not talking over crunchtime play(s).

And it's fine for the Braves to align themselves with uga or w/e, but atleast give the appearance of playing it down the middle. Lie to the people a little bit. Don't go full-on barking mutt.

If they ever find themselves in need. Of facilities or some other assistance. I bet they ain't travelin' the hour+ to get help in Athens. No. They're gonna skate 6 miles south to GT since we're all in-state "family" .... when they need us to be. Friggin fraud human beings.......

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
It was like the uga Network last night.

Yes, we rolled our eyes and then synced up the TV broadcast with the radio call on the GT app and had an enjoyable time. Nice to have Q on with Randy!

The SEC network doesn’t even try to get the correct info about the visiting team. In addition to mispronouncing names, at the end of the broadcast sure enough we see “Georgia Tech University” on the screen.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone know why Jalon Moore didn’t play? He played well for sparse minutes last Friday night.

I’d like to see G.T. have a better Assist to TO ratio than 17-14, although it’s early and we did much better in the second half when the pressure was turned up in a fairly tight game, Tech did force 14 from the Dawggies, who had 16 assists with that transfer lineup.
I doubt you see much of Jalon Moore in close games. Of the 3 freshmen I think he is the least ready to contribute right now. I think Pastner will ride with the more experienced players and Deebo while mixing in a little Kelly as well. However I think Moore is going to be a heck of a player for us eventually.