Get out the Flea Spray; GT Traveling to the pound Friday Night Lights! GT@uGa

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Thank God. Devoe wishes we played UGA everyday. Georgia is not a good team at all, and it should’ve been a lot worse than it was, but a road win is a road win. Gotta beat CSU and GSU, would love to go 2-1 against Wiscy, LSU, and USC to beef up the resume. I know UNC is in the middle of that stretch but I’m counting on us hanging around .500 in the league. There’s a lot of potential there, but we’re in desperate need of a rim protector on defense. Way too many easy buckets in the paint.

But as always:
**** Georgia

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I should know better than this by now, but I couldn’t believe CJP kept Howard in that whole time, but it definitely paid off. He had a solid second half.
Multiple reasons why I liked the call:
1) Generally agree with the aggressive approach. No sense saving a guy for the final 5-6 minutes. If we had, we get at most 5-6 minutes out of him. Instead we got 16.5 min.
2) There's no point in saving a guy who hasn't been in the flow of the game in the first place. Rodney had been effectively benched to that point in the game. He got in the flow and stayed in it.

I didn't think Rodney could play so effectively with 4, without fouling out. Thankfully Georgia generally stayed away from him (no post game, fewer drives his direction) and we also mixed in the zone which helps hide fouls. Great decision by Pastner and even better play by Rodney.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Good road win, and nice to beat the mutts again. Thought we should have played it in Atlanta but glad to get a win there.
Leaned on the older guys and they delivered.

Devoe went 14-17 from the field! Dude just took over.

Usher added 20+ points but his energy is his real contribution.

Howard playing with 4 fouls most of the second half was big, and his late baskets came at a great time. Saba is playing more but we really need Howard because he is all we have in the middle.

Smith played a much better second half. His back to back makes, and the block were clutch.

Both the young guns played a smaller role, but got their first taste of the road.

Khalid has had a couple of tough halves, I would like to see Kelly getting more of his minutes and keep him on a tighter leash.

I like this team a lot, and when bubba comes back we will have more ball handling than we have had in a while. Worried about our lack of size, but I like this squad a lot.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
1) Generally agree with the aggressive approach. No sense saving a guy for the final 5-6 minutes. If we had, we get at most 5-6 minutes out of him. Instead we got 16.5 min.
2) There's no point in saving a guy who hasn't been in the flow of the game in the first place. Rodney had been effectively benched to that point in the game. He got in the flow and stayed in it.

I didn't think Rodney could play so effectively with 4, without fouling out. Thankfully Georgia generally stayed away from him (no post game, fewer drives his direction) and we also mixed in the zone which helps hide fouls. Great decision by Pastner and even better play by Rodney.
I agree 100% with you. I told my son that I don’t even think CJP was worried if he fouled out. He had not done much until he picked up his fourth. He got more aggressive on the offensive end at that moment. You make great points!

MidtownJacket

Staff member

I thought Rodney did a good job of picking his moments on D once he got those cheap early fouls. Some folks were complaining about us not defending the baseline early second half but he couldn’t do much more than he did with the fouls he was carrying.

This team is legit - I have been a believer since the preseason and I’m loving the champagne and gelato we’re indulging in tonight.

Great, win Jackets. Great danged win.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree 100% with you. I told my son that I don’t even think CJP was worried if he fouled out. He had not done much until he picked up his fourth. He got more aggressive on the offensive end at that moment. You make great points!
A terrific learning experience for Howard. Also, after Usher blocked that shot in the lane in the 1st half, he cast a big shadow the rest of the half!