Article Georgia Tech vs Wright State

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Devoe & Sjolund are shooters. CGB is a shooter. Jose & Josh can obviously shoot, but to your point, consistently good percentages & decisions need to develop.

Regarding offensive flow, team had 8 assists on 16 makes in first half, a stat Pastner exasperates about. 1 the rest of the game.

The defensive effort was nothing short of poor. I get that Lammers is hurt, so he may get flat out beat a couple of plays, but A) he needs to still put forth effort and B) Pastner needs to adjust if it's not there.

Alston (20min) was playing tight defense in 1H, Tadric (30min) was missing assignments. Maybe that needs to be more balanced. Tadric can certainly create for himself, but Alston has shown an ability to hit shots in rhythm, hit free throws and put more effort in defensively.

Also, why the **** was Jose almost getting knocked unconscious on screens? Somebody's gotta have his back.

Something to remind ourselves of...

I think this team has the talent to have been a bubble team as its ceiling this year and at least make the NIT and have a run. Clearly, my expectations were way too high, which I think has been symptomatic of the fan base as a whole, as I think many fans were way more out over their skis than I was, in terms of expectations.

Time to throw expectations out the window. Time to expect a terrible ACC season. Time to accept we need more time for players to develop, execution to improve & talent to arrive.

One thing I won't accept though... lack of effort. I can accept all the mistakes & losses in the world if you're leaving your blood sweat & tears on the floor. I'm pretty sure I saw that from one player last night for the full game. That has to improve.

Another interesting stat is that Lammers did not get to the line all night, while shooting less than 50% from the field. How does that happen?

The 4 was MIA again. I'd lean toward playing small with CGB starting rather than Wright--depends on matchups, of course.

If we had been healthy all season, we'd have a very different record. There is little hope for the post season, but if we can get healthy we can still make some teams sweat during conference play.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Last yr, Pastner got the credit.This yr he gets the blame.
STARTING with the fiasco with 2 of our best players not knowing about RULES.Suspensions-Then on a top of that -caused by a FRIEND of Pastner. Then a COACH gets suspended.---- There is a pattern here.

The injuries are significant but the effort is not there sometimes--like last nite AT HOME. Finding a new way to lose.Getting outscored when shooting over 50% for game.
This is OFFICIALLY a dumpster fire now.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Last yr, Pastner got the credit.This yr he gets the blame.
STARTING with the fiasco with 2 of our best players not knowing about RULES.Suspensions-Then on a top of that -caused by a FRIEND of Pastner. Then a COACH gets suspended.---- There is a pattern here.

The injuries are significant but the effort is not there sometimes--like last nite AT HOME. Finding a new way to lose.Getting outscored when shooting over 50% for game.
This is OFFICIALLY a dumpster fire now.

This team seems to lack a leader. Alvarado needs to take that mantle. Okogie should be the guy, but the suspension and injury set him back. Labarrie's absence may be a factor here.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Another interesting stat is that Lammers did not get to the line all night, while shooting less than 50% from the field. How does that happen?

The 4 was MIA again. I'd lean toward playing small with CGB starting rather than Wright--depends on matchups, of course.

If we had been healthy all season, we'd have a very different record. There is little hope for the post season, but if we can get healthy we can still make some teams sweat during conference play.

Have a feeling Haywood might be out for an extended time. But yes, the 4 spot has killed us all season.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
One thing I won't accept though... lack of effort. I can accept all the mistakes & losses in the world if you're leaving your blood sweat & tears on the floor. I'm pretty sure I saw that from one player last night for the full game. That has to improve.

This, if you won't make the effort to play defense, your *** should be on the bench.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Devoe & Sjolund are shooters. CGB is a shooter. Jose & Josh can obviously shoot, but to your point, consistently good percentages & decisions need to develop.

Regarding offensive flow, team had 8 assists on 16 makes in first half, a stat Pastner exasperates about. 1 the rest of the game.

The defensive effort was nothing short of poor. I get that Lammers is hurt, so he may get flat out beat a couple of plays, but A) he needs to still put forth effort and B) Pastner needs to adjust if it's not there.

Alston (20min) was playing tight defense in 1H, Tadric (30min) was missing assignments. Maybe that needs to be more balanced. Tadric can certainly create for himself, but Alston has shown an ability to hit shots in rhythm, hit free throws and put more effort in defensively.

Also, why the **** was Jose almost getting knocked unconscious on screens? Somebody's gotta have his back.

Something to remind ourselves of...

I think this team has the talent to have been a bubble team as its ceiling this year and at least make the NIT and have a run. Clearly, my expectations were way too high, which I think has been symptomatic of the fan base as a whole, as I think many fans were way more out over their skis than I was, in terms of expectations.

Time to throw expectations out the window. Time to expect a terrible ACC season. Time to accept we need more time for players to develop, execution to improve & talent to arrive.

Lack of effort is always on the Coaching Staff in my opinion:dead:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Season is pretty much a bust at this point. Kind of a bummer given my pre season expectations (which honestly, weren’t that crazy). Oh well...I’ll keep watching and cheering, as always

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Just one of a few guys that realistically shouldn't be getting any minutes for an ACC program. Seems we have as many projects on scholarship as we do legit talents.
I actually agree with you on that. Lammers, Alvarado, Jackson, Okogie, and maybe Alston would be getting minutes on other ACC teams. I don't think anybody else would.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
We can talk about lack of talent but losing to grambling, and Wright state are unacceptable no matter what, no matter what year a coach is in, even in a “rebuild”. Pretty disappointed in the coaches this year. Was really excited after last year and now they’ve regressed. Very frustrating.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
what did you folks expect...

-when two of our coaches are/were under investigation for two different incidents?
-when two of our players we suspended?
-when two of our best players on our team... are injured for at least a month each? one with a very serious injury.

-when one of our top 3 point shooting players ... a freshman also misses time?

and this all happened during the first 11 games of our season. the time most teams use to get the kinks out.

talk about distractions. we have had more distractions than i can recall over such a short time frame in quite awhile.

actually... we are seeing now what we expected to see last year.

and correct me if im wrong but didnt wofford beat unc recently?

go jackets