Article Georgia Tech vs Wright State

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
I’d like to hear pastner comments on the team right now...does he even care we look like an AAU team on defense right now?

I thought that’s what he prides himself on. He didn’t even seem that upset most of the game about our defense. And please keep Moore on the bench, permanently.

Moore is having a very, very, very rough season.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Did CJP only win with Gregory recruits? #LateStart #Process

That made me laugh.

I still believe, BUT, I am getting increasingly frustrated at our apparent decline from last year. Injuries. Youth. Blah blah blah. Everyone is young in college basketball anymore, and I buy the injuries...to a point. But something surely seems missing. Our defense has gone....and that had been the one thing we could count on most of the time....

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
The defensive rotations have been late and lackadaisical all season long. Some of that is freshmen not knowing what to do, but a big part of that is guys with experience not hustling. Hope CJP is able to fix things on that end because that is the only reason we were able to compete last season. And there is nothing to indicate that this year's version of GTBB can outscore anyone...

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
The defensive rotations have been late and lackadaisical all season long. Some of that is freshmen not knowing what to do, but a big part of that is guys with experience not hustling. Hope CJP is able to fix things on that end because that is the only reason we were able to compete last season. And there is nothing to indicate that this year's version of GTBB can outscore anyone...

Go look at the dagger 3 Wright St hit with a minute left after they got off rebound. Very sad effort and energy.
Last year's team was great at getting late stops. This year's team has failed every time.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
They were a dirty team but made clutch 3s when needed....the other losses I had an excuse, this game...nothing.

Just poor poor defense and lack of effort. We look so good then go into a long funk with no adjustments.

Tadric sat too long in the 2nd half along with weird rotations of our players. Its like we couldnt decide if we wanted to go big or little.

Something needs to happen, I dont know if its getting Haywood back and finally having our whole lineup for the 1st time or getting Dlab back(which I think is a must right now).

Alvarado was one of the few bright spots tonight: awesome again, and had some NBA plays(splitting the screen and using the rim to protect the ball as he finished a reverse lay-up).

But all in all, frustrating...very frustrating.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We really aren't. Every team would love to return their top 3 scorers.
This is true, but when you are playing 4 freshmen that are getting significant minutes and only have 2 seniors, you are a really young team. Pastner had been saying to expect something like this and the 2nd year of a rebuild is the hardest. He wasn't wrong.

slugboy

Staff member
If we weren’t in a rebuilding mentality before, it’s time to get there now. Play good defense in every game, and play to develop a new aspect each time. Make games the world’s toughest scrimmage to find out the team you can be.
And the team should put a chip on their shoulders and play spoiler for the rest of the season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
GT was 0-7 on three pointers in the second half. GT has been a poor outside shooting team for so many years now.

I'll say it again: Gregory didn't care about recruiting shooters. They are out there, as we have seen from the mid-majors we have played to date (and who have killed us), but he didn't recruit them. Even Okogie is not a consistent outside shooter--his shooting percentage was the worst on the U-19 team he played with last summer.

CGB has the potential to be the shooter that can unclog the middle. We need him back in the lineup.

Is Devoe an outside shooter? Moore seems to be average. Sjolund?

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I didn't get to see the game, not even game tracker. But somehow I could tell the defensive effort was poor by the flow of the scoring. We came out flat in the second half and every time we seemed to start making a run, they had an answer, many times with a three. Obviously, when we needed a defensive stop against a middling team , we got beat. To me, the coaching mojo they had last year has vanished into thin air.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT was 0-7 on three pointers in the second half. GT has been a poor outside shooting team for so many years now.

I'll say it again: Gregory didn't care about recruiting shooters. They are out there, as we have seen from the mid-majors we have played to date (and who have killed us), but he didn't recruit them. Even Okogie is not a consistent outside shooter--his shooting percentage was the worst on the U-19 team he played with last summer.

CGB has the potential to be the shooter that can unclog the middle. We need him back in the lineup.

Is Devoe an outside shooter? Moore seems to be average. Sjolund?
Devoe & Sjolund are shooters. CGB is a shooter. Jose & Josh can obviously shoot, but to your point, consistently good percentages & decisions need to develop.

Regarding offensive flow, team had 8 assists on 16 makes in first half, a stat Pastner exasperates about. 1 the rest of the game.

The defensive effort was nothing short of poor. I get that Lammers is hurt, so he may get flat out beat a couple of plays, but A) he needs to still put forth effort and B) Pastner needs to adjust if it's not there.

Alston (20min) was playing tight defense in 1H, Tadric (30min) was missing assignments. Maybe that needs to be more balanced. Tadric can certainly create for himself, but Alston has shown an ability to hit shots in rhythm, hit free throws and put more effort in defensively.

Also, why the **** was Jose almost getting knocked unconscious on screens? Somebody's gotta have his back.

Something to remind ourselves of...

I think this team has the talent to have been a bubble team as its ceiling this year and at least make the NIT and have a run. Clearly, my expectations were way too high, which I think has been symptomatic of the fan base as a whole, as I think many fans were way more out over their skis than I was, in terms of expectations.

Time to throw expectations out the window. Time to expect a terrible ACC season. Time to accept we need more time for players to develop, execution to improve & talent to arrive.

One thing I won't accept though... lack of effort. I can accept all the mistakes & losses in the world if you're leaving your blood sweat & tears on the floor. I'm pretty sure I saw that from one player last night for the full game. That has to improve.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
To me, the coaching mojo they had last year has vanished into thin air.

It's a different coaching job. Last year was about taking pieces that were here and maximizing them. This year is about damage control and handling adversity at both a micro and macro level. Last year was all about the development of Lammers and Stephens, along with the surprise addition of Okogie. I see similar things this year with Alvarado and to a lesser extent Haywood and Wright. Last year though we avoided injuries for the most part and that allowed the team to eventually hit it's stride. This year we haven't. The team is playing fragmented. On offense players are trying to do too much themselves, and defensively there isn't enough communication and chemistry. Defensively, we had Jose trying to play a one man press while everyone else is dropping back on defense. Guys over rotating and slow to get back to their man/area. There is less of an understanding of passing lanes and how to apply good pressure.

There's only so much you can do with a young team with little depth that has had major injuries.