Article Georgia Tech vs Grambling State

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Also, what the hell is an own basket? How did that happen?

An own goal is when you put the basketball through your own goal (the one you are defending).
With 7 second left GS missed a shot but the rebound bounced off Curtis' hands and went through the basket. The basket is credited to the closest GS player to the basket.
It happens, but very seldom. The fact that it happened to Curtis (who with Jose helped us get back into the game both offensively and defensively) and that it happened when it did was just sort of cruel, but probably appropriate for this game.

The worst part was there wasn't a GS player close to the ball, it was 3 GT players, Curtis reached for the rebound only for it to bounce off his hands right into the basket.

Feel horrible for Curtis.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don't put any blame on Curtis. Never should've been in that position to begin with. Our seniors going 5-13 from the FT line certainly hurts. Hobbled ankle shouldn't cause you to go <50% from the line.

I still think this is a good team when healthy. We desperately need to find a 4. Q at the very least was worthy of being guarded and was a decent passer. We are 4 v 5 offensively. I just think we committed RPI suicide last night.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Someone tell Tad to shoot jump shots for his free throws!!! Take no dribble; just shoot the jumper as soon as the ref gives it to him!! No thinking as he gets the ball!! THIS WORKS!!! BELIEVE ME!!!
lol since all the best shooters do this!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t Q do that?

Free throw shooting is not typical. All the successful free throw shooters don’t do one thing the same other than make the shot.

It’s similar to 3 ft putts in golf. You’re your only enemy. I think with Jax it’s mental at this point. His form is good

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Jump shots from the line is a good way to go 50%. It's all mental with Jax. He needs to do something to remember his form and follow through. He seems to fall away on his FT's. I copied Rip Hamilton's technique with the side dribble before the shot. He said he did it because it forces you into bending your knees.

msargent1

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't like to harshly critique a bunch of kids, because to be honest, I'm sure they feel bad enough and me adding my opinion won't really change anything ... but I will make one comment. When Tadic shoots 3 point shots (5 last night), I get the same feeling (and thoughts) I use to get when Josh Smith of the Hawks did it. Yes, they make them occasionally, but they're doing the other team a favor by moving away from their strengths. I totally understand why Pastner says he has to stay on top of him.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't like to harshly critique a bunch of kids, because to be honest, I'm sure they feel bad enough and me adding my opinion won't really change anything ... but I will make one comment. When Tadic shoots 3 point shots (5 last night), I get the same feeling (and thoughts) I use to get when Josh Smith of the Hawks did it. Yes, they make them occasionally, but they're doing the other team a favor by moving away from their strengths. I totally understand why Pastner says he has to stay on top of him.

I don’t mind when he does it off the pass and in rhythm, but when he kills the offense, takes two dribbles, holds the ball and launches from deep (like he did about 3 times last night) I get frustrated

Malpharetta04

Georgia Tech Fan
We have a winner! Knee-jerk hyperbole of the year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No hyperbole there, sport. We lost to a horrific team at home, on an own basket. Even as a Pastner fan, you have to call this game what it was.

But since you are so clever, please enlighten the rest of us as to another more embarrassing loss for GT hoops on this side of the College of Charleston game...which was of course, played in the last century.

Last edited:

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
So it took the worst game of Ben’s Career and our best other player being out for us to lose by 1 on a flop. I know Gramblimg is trash bust Mercer beat duke in the NCAA. I’ve seen worse loses in my GT Fanhood, this one can be justified a lot more than others.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Jump shots from the line is a good way to go 50%. It's all mental with Jax. He needs to do something to remember his form and follow through. He seems to fall away on his FT's. I copied Rip Hamilton's technique with the side dribble before the shot. He said he did it because it forces you into bending your knees.
If you stand at the line , take 1-5 dribbles, while thinking about the shot, putting more time for pressure, and each of those responses can be TOO much for the shooters brain to handle!! If you have a good jump shot on instinct then just take the ball and shoot. The pressure is not there to cause a miss! Also more players practice jump shots all over the court than free throws at the line. If I were he I would also learn to square up when I shoot jumpers. His form is not good by any stretch of his imagination!!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Bad loss but Grambling outplayed us any way you want to look at

to echo most of what has been said - Tadrick giveth and Tadrick taketh away. He was about the only reason the game was close at half and the only one who brought energy even if at times misguided. He also has to make at least one of those free throws.
After that game I am worried about AD. He looks like he is being over coached and has no idea or confidence of what to do on the offensive end. He has things to contribute but the coaches have to put him in position to succeed.
There was a Moore sighting and I haven't seen him get credit for the energy he tried to bring.

Beyond the discussion of Ben's ankle, Okogie's absence or the freshmen's learning curve - I do put a fair amount of last night on CJP. First we didn't look prepared for a zone and didn't do the basics. Part was passive but that wasn't all of it. Having a team come out flat or with low energy happens. Hopefully as a coach you see it coming and deal with it before the game but that isn't always possible. Once you get into the game the coach only has a few levers he can pull - depend on his leaders to get the team rolling, substitute till he finds energy, go off on them or press. I was watching on TV so I don't get the entirety of his interaction with the team but with Ben hurt and really him being a quiet guy anyway, I would have expected CJP to take that leadership type of role and stick his nose in their face. Doesn't have to go all ratface on them but challenge them. Maybe he did and I just don't see it on the screen. He did find some energy in substituting Moore and it is certainly arguable that mass subs for a young team have longer term consequences.

But to shamefully suckup to Cuse the main lever he has is style of play. He was right we should have been pressing middle of the first half or at least start of the second. We are not a pressing team but presses are often used to change things up and bring/force energy to a team. We didn't go to a press until way late in the game and I would contend the 2-2-1 is a pretty passive press especially the way we played it. But you still saw some increase in energy and I would contend it was one of the reasons Jose started to go off. Whether we got any turnovers from Grambling or not it was a lever I really think CJP should have pulled a lot earlier than he did.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
The develop of Ogbonda and Gueye has been poor. They really don’t look much better from last year. Where we missed was this summer and the inability to get a few or just one additional graduate transfer (besides Alston). We missed out on 2 or 3 guys. Still can’t understand how we could not get a big man on the graduate transfer market to play along Lammers. Amazing to me!

Tadrick (I know he is probably just 22 years old) should be better. He scores but he turns the ball over a lot, he doesn’t have the ability to think at a high level when he is on the court. He scores because he is more athletic they everyone else. His free throw shooting is to long of a process. He needs to shorten the motion on it. Keep it simple but he allows himself to develop mistakes through the set up of his free throw. He can still be an asset for the team but he just can’t be the go to player. Doesn’t have the ability mentality.

Josh Pastner is right though. He doesn’t say it for fun. We simply don’t have the players in the system yet with experience to take any team in basketball lightly. Even the D- 2 exhibition game was a 7 point game in the second half.

We should have pressed but I imagine that makes them more tired but Josh has just got to go with guys on the bench sometimes. Just gotta hope and believe.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Just watched. That was sickening.

Credit to Grambling State...they looked like the energizer bunny on defense those first 35 minutes. Thought Pastner did a good job coaching when the game started and we could see we would not beat their zone. We learned that Alvarado is very mentally tough.

But seriously, losing that game after beating an NCAA Tournament team earlier in the week. Losing after fighting back and taking the lead as Grambling was Brian Gregory'ing it. Losing on the flop and an own goal. Missed free throws.

Ugh.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
If you rewatch CJP's presser after beating Northwestern, then this loss wouldn't shock or upset you quite so much. He practically predicted it, in that, he gave a clearly (in hindsight) honest assessment of where the team is right now. He discussed margin of error, Ben's ankle, his expectation to see their play as up and down, erratic, etc.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Whoever mentioned Moore, thank you. I've been hard on him, but he played hard last night and he had to play more min than usual due to Jose's foul trouble.

He is still a black hole in terms of being able to score, but he did a good job of moving the ball last night and playing defense. Also, he did a great job of talking to Jose when Jose was really upset after missing a three. it was right after that that Jose started to go off.

This may not be popular, but if Ben continues to look like a statue i'd sit him. if you don't play him the next 2 games he could have almost 2 weeks to let the ankle heal. You might lose a couple of games, or maybe someone will step up. it's more important to try to have a healthy Ben and a healthy Josh come January.

Every time Tad or Justin took a three they were doing exactly what the defense wanted them to do.

Coaching was ok, nothing more, nothing less. To his credit Josh bench most of his starters before the first timeout. i agree with others that pressing should have started sooner as it might have gotten the energy level up. The D is the first half was solid, in the second half it really started to lag.

We are in year 2 of what will likely be a 4 yr rebuild, so as much as it hurt to lose last night this would be the last time.