Article Georgia Tech vs Grambling State

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I was there and don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said. But, I had Antico pizza beforehand and gelato afterwards so I've got that going for me...
Do the gelato first next time
.. maybe that'll change our outcome at the game [emoji16][emoji39]

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
After reflection, while this loss still is disappointing, it is still just one year and 6 games into the Pastner regime, and I am more than willing to be patient. CJP said at the beginning of the year that we would have a tough go of it before Xmas, and that we would get better as the year goes on. He was right about that last year. Let's hope he is right about it again this year. I am certainly not ready to throw anyone under the bus after one poor game.

My biggest disappointment last night was actually just that I thought Grambling played harder than us. But gotta let that go...

I agree with RRed that getting Lammers healthy is more important then the next coulee of games. I will say that though that without Lammers defense, the Grambling game would have not been close at all. Lost count of how many times he altered dribbles and drives and shots, besides the number of actual blocks he had. Our D without Lammers isn't nearly as good as when he is in there (even hobbled). BUT, getting him right is mor important than 2 games, imho.

I'll be there tomorrow....

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I haven't seen anyone mention it, so tifwiw.

I think the assistants divvy up scouting/scheming. Hardy had nu, and Reveno likely has UT. So, the substitute probably carried the ball here

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know what the answer is but he was laboring horribly and you risk making it a season long problem if you don’t give him a rest period on it. I don’t get why Ogbonda isn’t playing some.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I have 3 assumptions:
1. Got to practice FREE throws!
2. Are we gonna make a run when our very own Big O comes back?
3. Tech MUST get EJ Montgomery!

Don’t get your hopes up for #3. I would hope for the expedited development of Moses instead

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The develop of Ogbonda and Gueye has been poor. They really don’t look much better from last year. Where we missed was this summer and the inability to get a few or just one additional graduate transfer (besides Alston). We missed out on 2 or 3 guys. Still can’t understand how we could not get a big man on the graduate transfer market to play along Lammers. Amazing to me!

Tadrick (I know he is probably just 22 years old) should be better. He scores but he turns the ball over a lot, he doesn’t have the ability to think at a high level when he is on the court. He scores because he is more athletic they everyone else. His free throw shooting is to long of a process. He needs to shorten the motion on it. Keep it simple but he allows himself to develop mistakes through the set up of his free throw. He can still be an asset for the team but he just can’t be the go to player. Doesn’t have the ability mentality.

Josh Pastner is right though. He doesn’t say it for fun. We simply don’t have the players in the system yet with experience to take any team in basketball lightly. Even the D- 2 exhibition game was a 7 point game in the second half.

We should have pressed but I imagine that makes them more tired but Josh has just got to go with guys on the bench sometimes. Just gotta hope and believe.

I stopped reading after your first line. Ogbondo has been injured and hasn’t even played, how can you say the development has been poor?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This is a scary sign of how really little real talent we have on team. We got a preview of next yr without BenL and it wasn't pretty.(even with josh) There is so little scoring power at times on this team it is very troubling.Not having another real big man is going to kill us vs good teams.
Normally they try hard but not this time.Too little,too late.

slugboy

Staff member
I did watch the game, but I've been out for a while. I didn't get to see Tennessee.
  • I understand sitting Lammers to get him healthy. If he can't have a good game against Grambling, how is he healthy enough for stronger competition? This is where I keep waiting for Ogbonda to step in.
  • I thought I'd see more of Cole/Wright/AG picking up slack/minutes. I really want to see these guys improve. With Cole and Wright, they're still freshmen and they still look like freshmen.
  • Grambling was hot-shooting and had good ball movement. We didn't move the ball well at all until Alvarado got lit in the second half.
  • We were horrible from the charity stripe.
  • I "kind of" understand the "we lost to a horrible RPI team". They did play better. We haven't gelled yet. If we still look like this in two weeks, I'll be more disappointed.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I did watch the game, but I've been out for a while. I didn't get to see Tennessee.
  • I understand sitting Lammers to get him healthy. If he can't have a good game against Grambling, how is he healthy enough for stronger competition? This is where I keep waiting for Ogbonda to step in.
  • I thought I'd see more of Cole/Wright/AG picking up slack/minutes. I really want to see these guys improve. With Cole and Wright, they're still freshmen and they still look like freshmen.
  • Grambling was hot-shooting and had good ball movement. We didn't move the ball well at all until Alvarado got lit in the second half.
  • We were horrible from the charity stripe.
  • I "kind of" understand the "we lost to a horrible RPI team". They did play better. We haven't gelled yet. If we still look like this in two weeks, I'll be more disappointed.

I just disagree on that last point. There is zero reason to both be outplayed by that team or lose to that team. Period. There is simply no excuse.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Good for them.

I was ready to start excusing the loss, then I looked at their last 14, with RPI to the left of the scores:

upload_2018-3-4_10-17-53.png

So what do we make of this? They're better than I thought they'd be, but still the worst loss I've ever seen GT take?