Article Georgia Tech vs Grambling State

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So we almost beat UCLA without two of our top three players, then win a shocker at home against a likely tournament team...then come out as flat as one could imagine against a garbage team and lose. Head scratcher for sure...but c’mon guys. You really think we are as bad as we looked tonight? Arguably or best player still hasn’t played and last I checked we still play about 30 games this year. This one game won’t keep us out, but it basically erased the NU win.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
1st thing first...give credit to Grambling State. They brought 100% effort and knocked down every key shot. I told you guys/gals Smith Jr. is a BALLER and he showed it.

Ben was not effective. No other way to say it. They also took him away and no one wanted to make them pay until Jose in the 2nd half. Played like finals week is coming up.

Jose was amazing the 2nd half. But most of the credit goes to his dead leg and Justin Moore. Alvarado was hanging his head and was thinking about his shot too much, and you could see it. Moore got on him instantly and kept Jose going. Then he got that dead leg and he was so focused on his leg that he forgot about shooting form and just let it fly. Straight buckets. I got goose bumps when he was pumping up the crowd before he headed to the free throw line. I wanted Tad to take the last shot for obvious reasons, but I had no problem with Jose taking it. I just wish it was on the other side of the court where he hit all his shots. And if he couldn't get all the way to the rim, take a 3. Not a tough mid-range floater that he had not taken all game.

Another typical Tadric game. Carries us for almost the whole game, but then misses the game winning/tie free throws. It's just the player he is, and something we have to deal with. It all evens out with him.

I haven't seen the replay yet, but I'm sure Haywood feels terrible about tipping the ball in. Besides that crucial mistake I thought he played well. I wish he would be more agresssive. It seems like when he does, it is effective.

AD....he is starting to be a liabilty on offense. So many easy shots that he makes harder by dribbling or making an unnecessary move. He is such a good rim protector on defense, which makes it so frustrating. He is in position to succeed, just needs to take what is given to him by the D.

I would of liked to see some sort of press to try and create some turnovers and easy points in transition since our offense was lacking....it never happened.

This loss has me upset but optimistic about how our freshman guard led us back. Jose Alvarado is the real deal.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I just got home from the game. Bad loss. That said, I took a few things away from the game (not related to tourney crystal balls)

1) Down 1 with 6.6 seconds left. We had no discernible play drawn up coming out of a TO. We brought Lammers 85 feet away from the basket to screen for Jose. (Lucky Lammers didn't get whistled for his fifth when he was moving on screen and hit the kid in the backcourt.) Jose dribbles the length of the court and takes a leaner against two defenders. I put that failure on coaches.

2) Officiating was inconsistent and horrible, both ways, all game. They missed easy calls and made phantom calls. Awful

3) Lammers must be sick. He looked exhausted all game. 1-7 FG, 2-5 FT. 9 rebs against a small front court.

4) Jose was incredible for a 3 or 4 minute stretch. Kid has stones. He was willing us into the game and refusing to lose. We lost but I love watching that kid play ball.

5) Tadric saved our *** offensively for much of the game. Sadly, he make bad decisions still (as a senior) and is a terrible FT shooter.

6) End zone student section was basically empty except the band. Student sections across from benches gradually filled up during first half. No noise. No energy.

7) More empty seats than people there. Really sad for a 730 Friday night game coming off the NW win.

I thought we'd be 4-2 at this point. Assumed UCLA & NW losses and a Grambling win. Still, record-wise, we are right where I thought we'd be and I'm not giving up hope and optimism. I still think we have a solid team with lots of young talent. Jose is a pleasure to watch. CGB is getting better each game. We know what JO can do. Disappointed in the loss tonight? Absolutely. Giving up on the team or Pastner? Hell no

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I just got home from the game. Bad loss. That said, I took a few things away from the game (not related to tourney crystal balls)

1) Down 1 with 6.6 seconds left. We had no discernible play drawn up coming out of a TO. We brought Lammers 85 feet away from the basket to screen for Jose. (Lucky Lammers didn't get whistled for his fifth when he was moving on screen and hit the kid in the backcourt.) Jose dribbles the length of the court and takes a leaner against two defenders. I put that failure on coaches.

2) Officiating was inconsistent and horrible, both ways, all game. They missed easy calls and made phantom calls. Awful

3) Lammers must be sick. He looked exhausted all game. 1-7 FG, 2-5 FT. 9 rebs against a small front court.

4) Jose was incredible for a 3 or 4 minute stretch. Kid has stones. He was willing us into the game and refusing to lose. We lost but I love watching that kid play ball.

5) Tadric saved our *** offensively for much of the game. Sadly, he make bad decisions still (as a senior) and is a terrible FT shooter.

6) End zone student section was basically empty except the band. Student sections across from benches gradually filled up during first half. No noise. No energy.

7) More empty seats than people there. Really sad for a 730 Friday night game coming off the NW win.

I thought we'd be 4-2 at this point. Assumed UCLA & NW losses and a Grambling win. Still, record-wise, we are right where I thought we'd be and I'm not giving up hope and optimism. I still think we have a solid team with lots of young talent. Jose is a pleasure to watch. CGB is getting better each game. We know what JO can do. Disappointed in the loss tonight? Absolutely. Giving up on the team or Pastner? Hell no
Besides a few things, I strongly agree.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow

I agree with everything except the fans part... thought it was louder and had more energy than most non conference November / December games and it was the most full the student section in one of those lower division games in a while.

GT basketball returning is a process... process is well underway.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Good news is that game was a huge confidence booste for Alvarado. If the offense stalls later this year he could easily step up. I still think we are headed the right direction.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Not familiar with this; what are the details around being a tournament exempt game.

This article goes into it pretty in depth: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bl...-holiday-preseason-tournaments-MTE-background

But basically it means that because this was included as one of a 5 team playoff Georgia Tech is allowed to play 31 games instead of the 29 and all 4 of those games count as “1” toward the 31. So last year Georgia Tech had to add a division 2 team in the middle of ACC play but this year they can Add a D1 team in Yale. So yes it hurts RPI and record but we have an extra game this year to make up for it vs last year in which we wouldn’t had we, say, lost to NC A&T.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Difficult game to watch. We looked lost for 35 minutes. It rather reminded me of the Gregory offenses. (that is NOT a good thing.)

I did not realize Ben was that badly hurt. Without him...well, it's not pretty. Tadic was pretty much what Tadic has always been. I am mildly disappointed din that because I felt maybe he could improve his game...and to be fair he has in other ways, but offensively he still is what he is.

Frightening to see AD on offense. I would almost prefer we just tell him to stay at the other end. When he tries to make a move or shoot, it seems far too often to be an empty possession. (Seems like 90% of the time.) And Moses Wright is just not ready yet. Not close. Over time he will contribute, but not much this year.

The frosh guards were good gets by the staff. Both will have their ups and downs.....

Honestly, it all comes back to Ben...without him...we are lost. And he really wasn't there tonight.

Sunday looks like a bad matchup for us right now.....really, blowout type bad.