Georgia Tech vs Georgia State?

Should Georgia State and Georgia Tech create a rivalry?

• Yes, would be good for both schools

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • No, no one cares

Votes: 93 87.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Are you going to answer?
:shifty: I feel like I'm watching your slow decent into madness, ATL.[/QUOTE

Yes or No?
Tell me why Ga ST can’t be like UCF or USF in time? Both school have better football programs the GT currently.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
No. Emphatically No.
Nice try at deflection.

If you don't agree that Georgia Tech is a better program than Virginia Tech based on recent head-to-head results, then I think you also have your answer on why Georgia Tech is a better program than USF. One game doesn't make a program.

As for UCF, based on your reasoning that they are a better program than Georgia Tech right now, the very same logic would also conclude that UCF is a better program than Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, Texas, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Stanford, Oregon, Colorado, Tennessee, Auburn, etc.

So, to answer your question, you have great points, and based on your flawless reasoning I see no reason not to agree with you that Georgia State can't be better than Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, Texas, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Stanford, Oregon, Colorado, Tennessee, Auburn, etc. in the next few years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If GT keeps running the triple sloption and State gets a consistent winner, I can foresee them passing GT in relevance and excitement.

10 years ago, people laughed when I said GSU would be D1 (at the time) level within a decade. Look where GSU is now.

The thing is, GA State program is still in its infancy. GA State has one thing GT doesn't: No academic hurdles. Outside of GT fans it seems from this thread, GA State also doesn't have the animosity directed towards it like our program does. That means something.

The next decade there will probably be another huge shift in the landscape of college athletics and realignment will probably come into play again. The last go around, GT was a BIG player behind the scenes in terms of other conferences wanting us to join them. GT and the B1G had discussions about us joining, but ultimately it was decided that GT was a better fit where we were. That's because other conferences want in on the Atlanta market. What's to say Big 10 or Big 12....or maybe even the PAC 12 (there was a theory going out last go around that PAC 12 wanted schools on BOTH coasts to form a super conference) doesn't go after GA State the next go around because of market and recruiting purposes? There's only one GT, and GT can't be in several conferences at once. The next program in GA that makes sense is GA State. GA State can do a LOT with the $30 million annual payday that joining a P5 conference. Sure GA State doesn't have the greatest attendance, but tell me how many fans will show up if Michigan, or Ohio State, or Texas, or Oklahoma, or Penn State come to play?

Point is, GT can't turn our nose at anyone. Not at the rate we're going. Sure we have national championships and history, but how many recruits care about that these days? The local and national media sure as heck doesn't. GA State, if they make the right moves, can be a player. They have the potential to be at least as relevant as GT in Atlanta...and sadly, that's not saying much for us, but it is saying something for GA State.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Are you going to answer?
Tell me why Ga ST can’t be like UCF or USF in time? Both school have better football programs the GT currently.

Both schools would struggle with a schedule that had a pulse most years. UCF is having a historic run for their program. To say they are a better program than us because of two seasons is asinine.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Both schools would struggle with a schedule that had a pulse most years. UCF is having a historic run for their program. To say they are a better program than us because of two seasons is asinine.

Moreover, Tech generates $81M a year whereas State generates $30 ish. I doubt very much that GSU will ever move beyond a commuter school and generate the kind of money needed to sustain a high level football program. UAB is another in the same bucket. These programs require resources, development funds, etc.

Tech is a tough comparison because of the legacy costs which GSU does not have. But those roll off in 3 years or so ...

I've always maintained that if you are generating less than $50M a year in athletic revenue, you are far better off to invest in a basketball program.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow

Don't know if they are a "better" program than Tech. But they sure as hell are more relevant than Tech is...And FYI having historic runs is how programs eclipse other programs.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Sometimes it’s helpful when thinking about the ‘better program’ to think about what’s the better job.

For instance, last year if UCF came calling on CPJ for their opening, would he have been interested? My guess is probably not. Vice versa - if after this year Tech were to move on from CPJ and call on Heupel for their position, would he be interested? My guess is probably. Finally, if both positions are open at the end of the year, and hot shot candidate (let’s say Neal Brown) is offered the spot at both schools, which job is he taking? My guess is Tech.

3/3 seems like a pretty compelling argument for Tech. Not a knock on the success UCF has had in the last couple of years, because their run has been really impressive. I’m just not sure a 1.5 year run carries enough weight to impact the overall perception of a program.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m just not sure a 1.5 year run carries enough weight to impact the overall perception of a program.

Interesting point of view. Butch Jones left a 10-3 Cincinnati team to take over at Tennessee. The argument could have been made that Cincy was relevant whereas UT wasn't. No way.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Don't know if they are a "better" program than Tech. But they sure as hell are more relevant than Tech is...And FYI having historic runs is how programs eclipse other programs.
Sure, but their historic run is two years of above average football. If they can continue to be relevant on the national stage then maybe someone can put together an argument, but for a program they are nothing.

UCF has a lot going for it. They are the largest university in America, giving them an extremely large alumni base. They have almost no academic restrictions. They have no NFL team to compete with. They have recently begun to invest in the program.

Given that, could they one day surpass us? Sure, anything is possible. Have they yet.

No.

Georgia State is so far from relevance that apart from panther trolls shouldn't even be discussed.

northgajacket

Banned
Tech plays pretty much exclusively on Raycom. The only time they have been on ESPN was because of non-Saturday games. Tech played on ABC because of Clemson, don't think the 1-2 Jackets had anything to do with that.

Man that must be some really good stuff you are smoking. Also if Raycom was exclusive to Tech that would mean no one else could air the games on the network. You obviously do not know the definition of exclusive.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
10 years ago, people laughed when I said GSU would be D1 (at the time) level within a decade. Look where GSU is now.

The thing is, GA State program is still in its infancy. GA State has one thing GT doesn't: No academic hurdles. Outside of GT fans it seems from this thread, GA State also doesn't have the animosity directed towards it like our program does. That means something.

The next decade there will probably be another huge shift in the landscape of college athletics and realignment will probably come into play again. The last go around, GT was a BIG player behind the scenes in terms of other conferences wanting us to join them. GT and the B1G had discussions about us joining, but ultimately it was decided that GT was a better fit where we were. That's because other conferences want in on the Atlanta market. What's to say Big 10 or Big 12....or maybe even the PAC 12 (there was a theory going out last go around that PAC 12 wanted schools on BOTH coasts to form a super conference) doesn't go after GA State the next go around because of market and recruiting purposes? There's only one GT, and GT can't be in several conferences at once. The next program in GA that makes sense is GA State. GA State can do a LOT with the $30 million annual payday that joining a P5 conference. Sure GA State doesn't have the greatest attendance, but tell me how many fans will show up if Michigan, or Ohio State, or Texas, or Oklahoma, or Penn State come to play?

Point is, GT can't turn our nose at anyone. Not at the rate we're going. Sure we have national championships and history, but how many recruits care about that these days? The local and national media sure as heck doesn't. GA State, if they make the right moves, can be a player. They have the potential to be at least as relevant as GT in Atlanta...and sadly, that's not saying much for us, but it is saying something for GA State.

EXACTLY

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know if I agree with this. Winning in the the AAC is not as "relevant" as winning in the ACC. Or SEC.

And when was the last time Tech won either? Since then UCF has beaten Georgia in the Liberty Bowl, Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl, And Auburn in the Peach Bowl. Not to mention the amount of weeks they have spent in the polls as compared to Tech in that same time frame (which helps you remain relevant, BTW).

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
And when was the last time Tech won either? Since then UCF has beaten Georgia in the Liberty Bowl, Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl, And Auburn in the Peach Bowl. Not to mention the amount of weeks they have spent in the polls as compared to Tech in that same time frame (which helps you remain relevant, BTW).
UCF so relevant they got jumped in the polls by an Ohio State team that didn't play (y)
Since then UCF has beaten Georgia in the Liberty Bowl
Literally the only thing in the history of the UCF program of any significance. The fact that those games mentioned are the super bowls of UCF's program indicates they have a ways to go before they are within leagues of GT as a program.

University of Texas hasn't done **** since 2009, but that doesn't mean UCF would be allowed to sniff their jock straps.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Last year, UCF’s strength of schedule was 103rd! If Tech played Alcorn State every week, we’d be relevant too. By your definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.