Georgia Tech vs Georgia State?

Should Georgia State and Georgia Tech create a rivalry?

• Yes, would be good for both schools

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • No, no one cares

Votes: 93 87.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I'd personally much rather see GT play Kennesaw state instead of wofford or jsu. They should be our year in and year out fcs team we play.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
However GT didn't play San Jose State and Western Kentucky in their bowl games;)
Owwwwwww I was even being generous when I said 2 out of the last 4 so
Typical statey thinking that GSU is a major sports school because their football team can become bowl eligible playing in the worst conference in cfb and being a 15 seed in the tournament.
The sunbelt has 4 bowls, how many does the acc have? 10??? Also state had to win there conference to go to the tournament, all GT has to do is Not be in the bottom 3 yet they somehow can't manage that. I'm not saying state is superior to GT in any way, but I will say there athletics are trending in the right direction. Can GT say that?

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
It was only meant as a shot at the OP. Just a jab, I would have thought EVERYONE could see that!
Your "shot" was a swing and a miss much like MikeJackets1967 bowl reference. Hell STATE has been to more bowl games in the last 3 years than Tech has! Not to mention NCAA Tournaments NIT included.
Also, I wasn't just referenceing football, but basketball as well. They are 3 miles apart should play in everything. I agree that this is completely one sided in GSU's favor, (GT wins its a team they should beat, they lose its a total embarrassment) but it would be a good way to bring 2 large alumni bases together.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Your "shot" was a swing and a miss much like MikeJackets1967 bowl reference. Hell STATE has been to more bowl games in the last 3 years than Tech has! Not to mention NCAA Tournaments NIT included.
Also, I wasn't just referenceing football, but basketball as well. They are 3 miles apart should play in everything. I agree that this is completely one sided in GSU's favor, (GT wins its a team they should beat, they lose its a total embarrassment) but it would be a good way to bring 2 large alumni bases together.
Who does State play every year? Do they have to play Clemson? Ugag? Miami? Va Tech? I would be ok with us playing in basketball every year but football is a different story. Maybe once every so often like we do with Georgia Southern.

northgajacket

Banned
Owwwwwww I was even being generous when I said 2 out of the last 4 so

The sunbelt has 4 bowls, how many does the acc have? 10??? Also state had to win there conference to go to the tournament, all GT has to do is Not be in the bottom 3 yet they somehow can't manage that. I'm not saying state is superior to GT in any way, but I will say there athletics are trending in the right direction. Can GT say that?

Being the sun belt champ is like being named the tallest midget. Until state consistently is in the tournament and manages more wins in said tournament, it is still a small time program who has only had 1 player drafted in its history. 2 NCAA wins.

The football team’s biggest win is a close loss to Wisconsin a few seasons ago. Beating the Arkansas State’s and New Mexico State’s of the world is not a great accomplishment.

It amazes me how GSU fans act like they are an up and coming sports power because of some “success”. Until gsu beats a P5 team, they are still just the small time programs that get paid to get stomped at the beginning of the season. Much like a tomato can in boxing.

northgajacket

Banned

You misspelled a word in your post.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Sun Belt is a crap league. And yes, I watch a lot of Sun Belt. going 6-6 while in that league is the equivalent of tying your shoes when you're 10 years old. (the western part of the Sun Belt this year is really bad, and that's with Arkansas State having the OU transfer at QB). And in hoops, it's a one-bid league, which means it doesn't get a ton of respect from the NCAA. Shoot, even the A-10 gets multiple bids.
And ask your average college football fan to name the Sun Belt teams that made bowls and the bowls they made. You'll get blank stares.
Isn't the Sun Belt about to lose one of its bowls anyway, since Raycom Media is getting taken over by Gray?
There are too many bowls anyway. Couldn't care less about the Bahamas Bowl or the Cure Bowl or the Gildan New Mexico Bowl - and I made the drive to Shrevevegas for the I Bowl, for crying out loud (Never. Going. Back.).

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Since this thread is pretty useless I will just say that Georgia State Football is the poster child of everything wrong with realignment and TV deals. They were a terrible FCS program that made it to the bigs because The Sunbelt needed to replace teams who left for CUSA (whose teams left for The American, who's teams left for the ACC and Big10) and they were in a big media market. They were not good and basically all they had was that they were in Atlanta. Lots more deserving teams should have gotten a call imo but hopefully it bites the Sunbelt in the butt when they wake up and realize nobody pays for cable anymore and the idea of TV markets is antiquated. Ok we can close this thread now that I have ranted like the angry old man that I am.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Sun Belt is a crap league. And yes, I watch a lot of Sun Belt. going 6-6 while in that league is the equivalent of tying your shoes when you're 10 years old. (the western part of the Sun Belt this year is really bad, and that's with Arkansas State having the OU transfer at QB). And in hoops, it's a one-bid league, which means it doesn't get a ton of respect from the NCAA. Shoot, even the A-10 gets multiple bids.
And ask your average college football fan to name the Sun Belt teams that made bowls and the bowls they made. You'll get blank stares.
Isn't the Sun Belt about to lose one of its bowls anyway, since Raycom Media is getting taken over by Gray?
There are too many bowls anyway. Couldn't care less about the Bahamas Bowl or the Cure Bowl or the Gildan New Mexico Bowl - and I made the drive to Shrevevegas for the I Bowl, for crying out loud (Never. Going. Back.).
A trip to the Bahamas on December 21st wouldn't be a bad thing..................................................just sayin';)

Status
Not open for further replies.