Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Duke by 7-13

Votes: 25 18.5%
  • Duke by 14+

Votes: 77 57.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 2897

I don't think we should underestimate them. The upper part of the Coastal division is better than the dumpster fire portrayed. Virginia, Pitt, North Carolina, and Duke are decent football teams. Outside their opening loss to Alabama, they only lost to Pitt by a field goal, a team that lost to Penn State by only 7. I know the completion wasn't stellar, but they slaughtered the three teams they beat.
If we beat them, or even play them a close game, it's a big step forward (relatively speaking).

I think the Coastal like usual is full of slightly above average teams.

Virginia:
1) Nearly lost to Old Dominion.
2) Barely beat a bad Florida State team.
* They've won their games though for the most part, so I definitely think they're a decent team.

North Carolina:
1) Barely beat a bad South Carolina team (losing record) who was leading by 2 scores in the 4th quarter until they threw back to back interceptions.
2) Barely beat a bad Miami team (losing record).
3) Lost to Wake Forest and Appalachian State.
* I think they're finding their stride, so I definitely think they're a decent team.

Duke:
1) Blown out by Alabama (doesn't tell you much)
2) 2 wins over FCS-type opponents
3) Beat a bad Virginia Tech team.
4) Blown out by Pitt
* They've really had 1 good game, but that was against a bad team. They have a lot of injuries, so its hard yet to say if they're above average like most of the Coastal.

I too hope we keep the game close, and I think we can win. Sooner or later we need to put a complete game together. The Coastal is decent, but really nobody has stood out as great yet.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Seriously, I think a lot depends on how we view the tale of the two halves vs unc.

I just looked at some numbers on the two halves.

1st half
GT ... 0.00 ppd ... 3.4 ypp
NC ... 2.83 ppd ... 5.0 ypp

2nd half
GT ... 3.14 ppd ... 8.8 ypp
NC ... 3.50 ppd ... 6.1 ypp

So, if you think our performance on O in the second half (our first second half drive was 3 plays for -1 yd), was due to their D playing looser with a 3 score lead, then you won't put much into this performance. If you think our 2nd half O was due to our guys finally putting the pieces together, then you see reason for optimism.

GlennW re-tweeted a USA today article plug that apparently credited our offensive production as something to build on. Fwiw, we started one drive in the second half with less than a 3 score deficit, and were 3 and out with 2 yds.

Also, @bwelbo, I don't know if it was you or someone else who earlier described Duke's loss to Pitt as a blowout, but Pitt won by 3, scoring their go ahead TD with 47 seconds left in the game. I have never seen that described as a blowout before.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think the Coastal like usual is full of slightly above average teams.

Virginia:
1) Nearly lost to Old Dominion.
2) Barely beat a bad Florida State team.
* They've won their games though for the most part, so I definitely think they're a decent team.

North Carolina:
1) Barely beat a bad South Carolina team (losing record) who was leading by 2 scores in the 4th quarter until they threw back to back interceptions.
2) Barely beat a bad Miami team (losing record).
3) Lost to Wake Forest and Appalachian State.
* I think they're finding their stride, so I definitely think they're a decent team.

Duke:
1) Blown out by Alabama (doesn't tell you much)
2) 2 wins over FCS-type opponents
3) Beat a bad Virginia Tech team.
4) Blown out by Pitt
* They've really had 1 good game, but that was against a bad team. They have a lot of injuries, so its hard yet to say if they're above average like most of the Coastal.

I too hope we keep the game close, and I think we can win. Sooner or later we need to put a complete game together. The Coastal is decent, but really nobody has stood out as great yet.

Not great, but the upper 4 teams in the Coastal, including Pitt, are better than advertised.

Blown out by Pitt? By a field goal? Huh? You're losing me there.

Deleted member 2897

Seriously, I think a lot depends on how we view the tale of the two halves vs unc.

I just looked at some numbers on the two halves.

1st half
GT ... 0.00 ppd ... 3.4 ypp
NC ... 2.83 ppd ... 5.0 ypp

2nd half
GT ... 3.14 ppd ... 8.8 ypp
NC ... 3.50 ppd ... 6.1 ypp

So, if you think our performance on O in the second half (our first second half drive was 3 plays for -1 yd), was due to their D playing looser with a 3 score lead, then you won't put much into this performance. If you think our 2nd half O was due to our guys finally putting the pieces together, then you see reason for optimism.

GlennW re-tweeted a USA today article plug that apparently credited our offensive production as something to build on. Fwiw, we started one drive in the second half with less than a 3 score deficit, and were 3 and out with 2 yds.

Also, @bwelbo, I don't know if it was you or someone else who earlier described Duke's loss to Pitt as a blowout, but Pitt won by 3, scoring their go ahead TD with 47 seconds left in the game. I have never seen that described as a blowout before.

Yes that was me. I described it as a blowout because Duke got blown out of the game. Pitt was winning 26-3 with a couple minutes left before the 4th quarter.

Then:
1) Pitt fumbled at their own 4 yard line. 1 play later, it was 26-10.
2) On Pitt's very next play after receiving the kickoff from Duke's score, they fumbled again. Duke scored on another short field, making it 26-18.
3) On Pitt's very next drive...yes, they turned it over again on their own 25 this time. Duke scored on another short field, making it 26-24.
3 turnovers giving Duke extremely short fields 3 times in a row. That's why I called it a blowout - Pitt handed them 3 touchdowns. Who couldn't score from the 4 yard line? /ducks

Pitt also had 15 penalties for 150 yards (not a typo). They tried to give the game away, but Duke wouldn't take it. Pitt's 4 turnovers were only outmatched by Duke's 6 turnovers.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure that he and his staff recruited/developed the players. He took credit for them when he coached against them, so I think he'd disagree with you saying he wasn't involved.

It was his OC and DC who called the plays, so again I think he'd disagree.

It is true that his departure could have influenced the team's play. I just thought I'd add the data point. Perhaps it's not meaningful for that reason.
I agree with all that you say above. I was just poking at you a little, in good humor. forgot the emoji ;)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yes that was me. I described it as a blowout because Duke got blown out of the game. Pitt was winning 26-3 with a couple minutes left before the 4th quarter.

Then:
1) Pitt fumbled at their own 4 yard line. 1 play later, it was 26-10.
2) On Pitt's very next play after receiving the kickoff from Duke's score, they fumbled again. Duke scored on another short field, making it 26-18.
3) On Pitt's very next drive...yes, they turned it over again on their own 25 this time. Duke scored on another short field, making it 26-24.
3 turnovers giving Duke extremely short fields 3 times in a row. That's why I called it a blowout - Pitt handed them 3 touchdowns. Who couldn't score from the 4 yard line? /ducks

Pitt also had 15 penalties for 150 yards (not a typo). They tried to give the game away, but Duke wouldn't take it. Pitt's 4 turnovers were only outmatched by Duke's 6 turnovers.

I hear you, but I think there's often stuff like this that go into close games. I suspect the biggest difference between us might be that I think the ACC as a whole has been better (giving more credit to their opponents) and that we've been worse (giving less credit to our opponents).

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
This is the week our offense gets it together, Tech 31, Devils 28. Not betting it, but I feel it. And it feels so gooooood! Go Jackets!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Don’t feel good about this one. 38-14 puke Hope we don’t see 3O too much, cause I fear they will run it down our throats.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Poll included.

Duke to win and cover. They have a good defensive line and will pressure our quarterbacks while we will not be able to get to their senior. Maybe he will turn the ball over 6 times like in the Pitt game but I doubt it. What I don't understand is why they invariably play poorly and lose to Pitt and play well against us. We have a chance, albeit a slim one, if they play like they did against Pitt. A very un Cut like performance on their part.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Duke to win and cover. They have a good defensive line and will pressure our quarterbacks while we will not be able to get to their senior. Maybe he will turn the ball over 6 times like in the Pitt game but I doubt it. What I don't understand is why they invariably play poorly and lose to Pitt and play well against us. We have a chance, albeit a slim one, if they play like they did against Pitt. A very un Cut like performance on their part.
It's because Pitt to Duke is what Duke is to us. They are just kryptonite to Duke the way Duke is kryptonite to us.

Then again... Pitt is just "that" team. The one that could be complete garbage and be 1-5 and then play a top 10 team and beat them. And then lose the following week to a horrible team.

LibertyTurns

Banned
There’s no reason we should not win today. This staff has had long enough to get their crap together. We finally figured out who was going to QB, we’ve got good WRs, top RBs and a OL that needs some coaching. That’s the only weak area and we need to scheme around it. On defense, there are no excuses. We’re damn near superior at every position to what Dook has. Time to put these bitches in their place.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's because Pitt to Duke is what Duke is to us. They are just kryptonite to Duke the way Duke is kryptonite to us.

Then again... Pitt is just "that" team. The one that could be complete garbage and be 1-5 and then play a top 10 team and beat them. And then lose the following week to a horrible team.

LOL I love how you say this so matter-of-factly, as if it's a completely obvious and rational explanation.

Thunder? Well, it's just because the angels are bowling.
Creaky sounds in an old house? It's because some spirits of the dead are lurking in the house because of unresolved lives.
Origins of various species of life? It's because of natural selection working on random variations and mutations.
Why did team x lose to team y? Team y is kryptonite for team x.

slugboy

Staff member
As this is an ACC Coastal matchup:

-6 to -17

Jackets 21 : Bleu Surrender Devils 17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This won't even be close. 38-14 Duke. A late score is the only reason we even make it that close. Duke with 250+ on the ground and over 70% 3rd down conversions.