Georgia Tech proposes a one-word change in ‘Ramblin’ Wreck’ lyrics

'Cheer' or 'Join'?

• Cheer

Votes: 107 74.8%
  • Join

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Don't care, why are we even talking about this?

Votes: 30 21.0%

• Total voters

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think they should replace the word "engineer", too. Seriously, how many of us actually drive trains?
Years ago a new sports editor, or maybe columnist, for the Madison, Wisc. newspaper suggested they change the nickname of the Wisconsin Badgers to Wisconsin "Holsteins". His reasoning was irrefutable: when is the last time you saw a badger? Not sure how long the guy lasted.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What a bunch of politically correct bull****! All over this country we continue down the slippery slope of destroying our traditions and rewriting history to fit the "progressive" agenda. Why don't we all just surrender our possessions, tape our mouths shut, police our thoughts and bow down to the "elite" minority that is hell bent on changing this country into some sort of third world, thought controlling police state. I have a daughter and she has no problem "cheering" for Georgia Tech and if you ask her she will tell you the good word as well. Speaking of the good word I guess we need to get rid of it as well. We might be offending some rednecks in Athens. Certainly don't want to do that.
My lord, man. It is one word in a fight song, not Armageddon.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I also would like to petition that all athletic events should end in a tie and we should not limit the field to 11 players at a time because that would insinuate that some player’s may not be good enough to be on the field at that moment.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
And why is Buzz our mascot? We shouldn’t be restricted to just Buzz. We should also have Buzzette, Zumbido, شرب حتى الثمالة, 蜂鸣器, гул, dengungan, bourdonnement, ronzio, ざわめき, sirinä, lëvizje, brzęczenie, kêu vo vo, summen, באז, 버즈, vızıltı, and zümmögés all out there cheering us on as well.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
"Oh, if I had a daughter sir, I'd dress her in white and gold,
I'd put her on the campus to cheer the brave and bold."

I always took this lyric to mean she was a student in the stands cheering the team right along with everybody else. That's already inclusive if you ask me.
The next line talks about what his son would be yelling at the game. In both situations, they're students yelling at the game. Where's the lack of inclusion?

I totally agree with u.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That I'd rather talk about football (and beating Clemson)? Yes, I am series.

/
I was attempting, and failing, to be facetious. Because anybody who thinks they are going to let go of this is depraved. And actually I have to say just reading it is a lot of fun, like voting for most likely to succeed in HS or such, when after looking around you quickly figure out nobody is.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Funny to me how people get bent out of shape about "traditions."

We had a perfectly beautiful pledge of allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. Then some politically correct congressmen worked to have the words changed in the 1950s to add "under God," to it. Now people say don't change the pledge because it is a tradition. Traditions in America are roughly equivalent to "whatever I grew up with."

What I shake my head over is that we seem incapable of either preserving traditions that deserve preserving or changing traditions that need changing because hysteria replaces rational discussion.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Funny to me how people get bent out of shape about "traditions."

We had a perfectly beautiful pledge of allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. Then some politically correct congressmen worked to have the words changed in the 1950s to add "under God," to it. Now people say don't change the pledge because it is a tradition. Traditions in America are roughly equivalent to "whatever I grew up with."

What I shake my head over is that we seem incapable of either preserving traditions that deserve preserving or changing traditions that need changing because hysteria replaces rational discussion.

I never knew under god was added. So thats true?

I think motivation for the change is what upsets people about as much as the physical change. If the motivation is ridiculous people are like wtf. Even if the change is minor.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I never knew under god was added. So thats true?

I think motivation for the change is what upsets people about as much as the physical change. If the motivation is ridiculous people are like wtf. Even if the change is minor.
Yes, written in 1892 and changed in 1954 after a campaign led by the Knights of Columbus. Granddaughter of the original author was against the change.