Georgia Tech proposes a one-word change in ‘Ramblin’ Wreck’ lyrics

'Cheer' or 'Join'?

• Cheer

Votes: 107 74.8%
  • Join

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Don't care, why are we even talking about this?

Votes: 30 21.0%

• Total voters

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The change in the 1950s was a jab at the communist Soviet Union. Allowed "us" to refer to them as 'godless.'
Actually, the result of Tailgunner Joe McCarthy and his commie-under-our-beds campaign and all-out assault on the U.S. Army. Not sure he was ever a tailgunner, either.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The proportion of votes is interesting.

Our poll shows:
  • 67 votes for 'cheer'
  • 3 votes for 'join'
  • 15 votes for 'don't care'

In the more public/relevant polls:

Is it a leap to conclude that those in favor of 'Join' generally do not follow football i.e., the event where the fight song is most prominently played?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
it a leap to conclude that those in favor of 'Join' generally do not follow football
Nope. You can find a way to be offended by anything and some people just enjoy finding things that offend them. There's millions of other things in this world you would think people could spend their effort on if you really think they're out there to make a positive impact on the world.

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I was thinking of this picture from the Masters years ago where all those women with their signs were protesting the fact The Masters had no women members.........and there was one guy in the background with the sign that said....
ironmyshirtbitch-11727.jpg

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
How many of us on campus don't cheer the brave and bold? When the song was written, it was highly inpolite for a young lady to use such coarse language as To Hell with Georgia, but it was quite acceptable for young men of character to do so. It's more about the sons being aggressive towards the opposing teams and the daughters being supportive of our team. The term brave and bold describes the participants, not the spectators (or the student body in general). The comments about sons and daughters is describing what the spectators are to do. It totally misses the point of the spirit song to suggest that I'd put my daughter on the campus to join the brave and bold. The lyric is about the daughters of alumni and fans cheering for our teams and the sons scrapping for a fight.

It just shows that regardless of how smart some of these kids are, they're blinded by their zeal to change the world. I guess that's how the world gets changed, despite us old farts who are settled into the realities of life. My uncle used to tell me "the only thing worse than a young conservative is an old liberal," or was it "the only thing worse than an old liberal is a young conservative?" You get the point. . .