Georgia Tech proposes a one-word change in ‘Ramblin’ Wreck’ lyrics

'Cheer' or 'Join'?

• Cheer

Votes: 107 74.8%
  • Join

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Don't care, why are we even talking about this?

Votes: 30 21.0%

• Total voters

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh! If you change our fight song, sir
You sully our White and Gold
You'll never see a single cent
Even when we're rich and old.

You can take your micro-aggressions
And your PC thinking too
And place them far off campus
Like my mom and dad did too!

(not my original composition, but it fits.)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Didn't we just know that something of so little consequence would get the juices flowing? Where was all the hollering when they changed the coin and the dollar bill, not to mention postage stamps, among other things? And of course, added the Rambling Wreck. Being a sidewalk fan I have no dog in the scrap, but not changing something just because it is old or "traditional", whatever that is determined to mean, is a very thin reed indeed. I would like "just because" better.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Didn't we just know that something of so little consequence would get the juices flowing? Where was all the hollering when they changed the coin and the dollar bill, not to mention postage stamps, among other things?
Nobody complained about the money because it has always been ugly as sin and still is. Same with the stamps. Hard to counterfeit, true, but totally lacking in either design flare or taste.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Didn't we just know that something of so little consequence would get the juices flowing? Where was all the hollering when they changed the coin and the dollar bill, not to mention postage stamps, among other things? And of course, added the Rambling Wreck. Being a sidewalk fan I have no dog in the scrap, but not changing something just because it is old or "traditional", whatever that is determined to mean, is a very thin reed indeed. I would like "just because" better.
I beg to differ, traditions are what bind generations together. To change them for bad reasons is a bad idea.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
When I was at Tech, the following lyrics were published:

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech; what the hell am I doing here?
Instead of at home doing my math, I'm out here drinking beer.
My grades have all escaped me.
I'll fail all my courses this year.
I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech, and I want to get out, y'hear.

If I had a daughter sir, I'd have her type reports
and cook my meals and wash my clothes while I watch TV sports,
And if I had a son sir, I'll tell you what he'd do:
He'd write my fortran programs and maybe my statics too.

Oh I wish I had a barrel of rum and a gallon of whiskey sour.
A pint of vermouth, a quart of gin, and a 6-pack of beer every hour.
I'd drink to all good fellows; I'd drink and I'd drink, and I'd drink,
For I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech, and my grades have gone down the sink.

Now, that's a bit more chauvinistic

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Cheese is right. What part of "put her on the campus to cheer the Brave and Bold" suggests that she isn't a student? What are we implying, that students don't cheer? Give me a break. Look, I am all for making everybody feel welcome, but we are screwing with the world's greatest fight song here, for no other reason than so a few organizers can feel better about themselves. "to join the Brave and Bold" sounds to me like we are putting her on the field to play CFB.

I really don't like taking the other side of this, but...:

We are "dressing" the girl and "putting" her on campus. It's passive voice, as-if she has no choice but to be told what to wear and where to go cheer.

But for the boy, he makes a choice - "I'll tell you what he'll do".

Yeah, the lyrics are dated -- but leave it alone. Can we please go back to football?

/

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I beg to differ, traditions are what bind generations together. To change them for bad reasons is a bad idea.
Note that I said "just because it is traditional". I just refuse to buy any argument that hinges on one word in a fight song. Shoot, nobody listens to any song in singing, including my beloved Willie Nelson, for one word. That goes way beyond anal retentive and demands some time on the couch. This really is kind of funny you know, if everybody would lighten up and stop calling the fire horses out for a match.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
"These lyrics do not reflect the significant achievements of women at Georgia Tech, who make up a growing fraction of students and faculty alike."

I'm trying to understand how any of the lyrics reflect significant achievements of anyone at Tech, male or female. What's more, if the song is supposed to "reflect significant achievements of persons at Georgia Tech", then doesn't it pretty much disregard all of the many sidewalk fans (of both genders) who never went to Tech, but still support the team?

It's a fight song, fer cryin' out loud. It's about being rowdy and supporting the team at the game, not about accomplishing anything "meaningful" for the Institute.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech and a hell of an Engineer
A hell of a chemist, a hell of a boss, and a hell of a home maker
Like all the jolly fine persons, I drink the drink that I choose
I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech an a hell of whatever I do.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
"These lyrics do not reflect the significant achievements of women at Georgia Tech, who make up a growing fraction of students and faculty alike."

I'm trying to understand how any of the lyrics reflect significant achievements of anyone at Tech, male or female. What's more, if the song is supposed to "reflect significant achievements of persons at Georgia Tech", then doesn't it pretty much disregard all of the many sidewalk fans (of both genders) who never went to Tech, but still support the team?

It's a fight song, fer cryin' out loud. It's about being rowdy and supporting the team at the game, not about accomplishing anything "meaningful" for the Institute.
Swearing and drinking aren't achievements?

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Not the first time for this. Talked about in 1998 too.

Apparently, many problems have been solved since 1998.:
The Technique said:
Ray: changing song low on list of priorities
Diversity Forum receives many recommendations, recommends prioritizing Task Force's list
By Mindy Wiggins
News Editor

In the past week, a great deal of talk on campus has centered around the issue of changing the school song, "The Ramblin' Wreck." The Diversity Forum, in a meeting on Wednesday evening, discussed this issue when it was presented with a final set of recommendations from the Diversity Task Force.

The idea of altering the school song was originally brought up in a preliminary set of recommendations that were made by the Diversity Task Force. This particular recommendation, along with 26 other suggestions, remained in the final report that was presented by the Task Force to the Diveristy Forum.

The Diversity Forum will review the set of recommendations and determine future courses of action. The Forum also reviews recommendations from the other four task forces which were established for the diversity cause.

In Wednesday's meeting, the primary topic of discussion was the issue of the school song. The Forum recognized the emotional attachments that many people have with the traditional school song, and were conscientious of the vast amount of attention that the issue has received lately.

The Forum came to the conclusion that the recommendations of the task force should be prioritized. As it currently stands, all 27 suggestions appear to be of equal importance. Members of the task force and the Forum recognize the fact that some recommendations should take priority over others. This prioritization, according to Stephanie Ray, Chair of the Diversity Task Force, would place the school song alterations low on the list.

Ray said that, if the recommendations were ranked on a scale of one to ten, with 1 being the least likely to receive attention, changing the school song would probably receive a negative ten.

"It might be better if we put our efforts and energies elsewhere," said Bill Osher, Diversity Forum member.

Some of the other issues that are included in the set of recommendations from the Task Force involve creating a diversity Web page, starting an awards system for those who work towards creating diversity, and creating orientation programs which focus on "diversity issues."

According to Dean of Students Gail DiSabatino, who does not serve on the Diversity Forum or the Diversity Task Force, "we are losing sight of what is really important in that document."

DiSabatino personally opposes a change in the school song.

"In the grand scheme of things, this is insignificant, considering everything else that really needs to be done. If students want to do something about the song, I would be more likely to consider it, but I'm not seeing that right now," continued DiSabatino.

I liked this response to another article about this issue in the Technique back then:
To the Editor:

Apparently things are going so well at Georgia Tech these days that the Dean of Students office is having trouble finding important things to do. Maybe instead of a task force on "Diversity," they should have one called "How to Preserve the History, Traditions, and Culture of Georgia Tech so we do not Alienate our Extensive Alumni Base, thereby Forfeiting Millions in Future Donations."

Sxxxx Fxxxx, B.I.E. 1993

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
What a bunch of politically correct bull****! All over this country we continue down the slippery slope of destroying our traditions and rewriting history to fit the "progressive" agenda. Why don't we all just surrender our possessions, tape our mouths shut, police our thoughts and bow down to the "elite" minority that is hell bent on changing this country into some sort of third world, thought controlling police state. I have a daughter and she has no problem "cheering" for Georgia Tech and if you ask her she will tell you the good word as well. Speaking of the good word I guess we need to get rid of it as well. We might be offending some rednecks in Athens. Certainly don't want to do that.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
I really don't like taking the other side of this, but...:

We are "dressing" the girl and "putting" her on campus. It's passive voice, as-if she has no choice but to be told what to wear and where to go cheer.

But for the boy, he makes a choice - "I'll tell you what he'll do".

Yeah, the lyrics are dated -- but leave it alone. Can we please go back to football?

/
I don't see stating what the son will be doing is giving him a choice. For example, we have family over for dinner and trash can gets full. Relative starts to take it out and I say, "No, my son will do that." He has no choice in the matter.