Georgia Tech Injury Report

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Whoopin' up on a couple of cupcakes is your evidence? ok. And what does CPJ being upset at his veteran OL have to do with the price of tea in China?
Well, let's put it this way. When CPJ was asked about A-backs prior to the season he acted confident and repeatedly said, "We will be all right." He also said some cute things about thinking Justin would probably start and feeling O.K. about that too.

The problems with the offensive line have not only caught the fans off guard, it is apparently something CPJ did not think he would be worrying about at this point in the season. Sure he had misgivings during spring training but he also said that is why you have practice and he expected the players to get better each week.

Short answer is that the offensive line woes have made everyone look worse -even the skill position guys who looked terrific in the first two games when the line was able to outclass the opponent.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well, let's put it this way. When CPJ was asked about A-backs prior to the season he acted confident and repeatedly said, "We will be all right." He also said some cute things about thinking Justin would probably start and feeling O.K. about that too.

The problems with the offensive line have not only caught the fans off guard, it is apparently something CPJ did not think he would be worrying about at this point in the season. Sure he had misgivings during spring training but he also said that is why you have practice and he expected the players to get better each week.

Short answer is that the offensive line woes have made everyone look worse -even the skill position guys who looked terrific in the first two games when the line was able to outclass the opponent.
For me, the skill positions are the Abacks, Bbacks and wr's - not just the Abacks. Technically, they include the qb, too, but he's not new and not included in the plug and play opinion (I doubt even 87 thinks the qb is "plug and play"). The combined mistakes made by all three of these groups over shadows the OL, imo. Even if they don't, they are massive in there own right. So much so, I find it very difficult to pronounce these positions "plug and play."

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I tend to believe nothing has been proven either way in the plug-and-play discussion.

Quinlan: Injuries Bite the Jackets
A wave of injuries has ravaged Georgia Tech's football team making the Jackets the second most seriously injured team in college football this year tied with two other P5 schools and trailing only BYU in the number of players lost for the year or for a significant amount of time.

Georgia Tech has seven players out indefinitely or for the season and all but one of them are on offense and all were projected to be in the two-deep or were in the two-deep to start the season.

Based on my personal definition of plug-and-play, playing 3 strings deeper at AB disqualifies the results we've seen from that group thus far (and by the way, everyone has their own definition of "plug-and-play" which seems to be the root of the debate) . I said this once before - Clinton Lynch was "just trying to get on the bus" a few weeks ago. He's now solidly in our rotation. And when I think about it with that perspective he's met my expectations.

Even in a year like last year, Clemson and Duke made things difficult in much the same way that Notre Dame and Duke have this year. I do think it's been a little uglier this year, however:
  1. Both opponents this year came earlier in the year. We struggled early in the year last year against lesser opponents before hitting our stride. And then we still struggled with Duke and Clemson.
  2. Several of the ABs who were given the most reps/experience through the summer and fall camp, and therefore most likely to improve as the season progresses, are no longer available.

So far this year the OL has admitted overthinking and JT has been stressing/out of character. Add in the fact that we are comparing the offense against the most efficient offense in the history of the metric last year. For those reasons I don't know, even had we returned all 11 starters from last year, that we'd be as good as last year.

It's still a wait-and-see thing for me. We really need to avoid further injuries for the sake of the team, but also to give the plug-and-play discussion/test a control period. Just my 2 cents.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If If If our STs coverage units and long snapper had not crapped the bed last week, would we just be looking at our offense (after the resulting win) and saying, "well, the weather was crap and the field was slippery. It was a tough day to score"? Or "Wow, that game reminds me of VT last year"?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If If If our STs coverage units and long snapper had not crapped the bed last week, would we just be looking at our offense (after the resulting win) and saying, "well, the weather was crap and the field was slippery. It was a tough day to score"? Or "Wow, that game reminds me of VT last year"?

Boom,
the key word is IF--in both real games their was a DRASTIC drop-off in performance in some or several parts of our team- now it is almost a question of what part(s) is going to "go pathetic".Almost like dominos--
and now we get a deluge on a field that is built around superior ball-handling and cuts and hope that the unc OFFense doesn't remember last yr.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Qua and at Taquan looked plug and play quite a bit. I think the bbacks would have looked much more so if not for the struggles of the Oline. The deeper we go on the depth chart though......good bit more difficult to plug n play with 3rd string guys.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Beginning at Spring 2015:

WR: Summers, out
AB: Snoddy, out for UNC
AB: Andrews, kicked off team
AB: Searcy, out for season
AB: Nate Cottrell, out for season
AB: Marshall, maybe
BB: Leggett, out for season
BB: QW, out, then moved to AB and questionable
BB: Allen, maybe
QB: Byerly, out for season

That is six skill position players out for the season. At WR we have two soph and two Frosh; at Aback we have a walk-on and three frosh; at Bback a transfer and a frosh; at QB we have JeT and a frosh. Of this two deep list, one of those players was a 2014 starter.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Nothing that has transpired so far this season resembles any kind of definition of "plug and play." But keep fightin' the good fight.

ps. I guess ivy hasn't posted in a while. ;)

2014 class needs to be 2018 when we have all r-SR at
For me, the skill positions are the Abacks, Bbacks and wr's - not just the Abacks. Technically, they include the qb, too, but he's not new and not included in the plug and play opinion (I doubt even 87 thinks the qb is "plug and play"). The combined mistakes made by all three of these groups over shadows the OL, imo. Even if they don't, they are massive in there own right. So much so, I find it very difficult to pronounce these positions "plug and play."

Cheese , If a business lost the great majority of key sements due to retirement in a short period, the board of directors would have ceo on the carpet. Legacy planning is a key element in business so that u can plug and play.
We had minimal legacy in place at bb, ab, and wr.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I agree we did not play that well on O early last year, even in the VT game. But when we were behind late in the Ga So and VT games and got an opportunity we made the big plays to win. Last week the chance to win with 6 minutes to go was a big disappointing bust and a lesson I hope we overcome. To me failure to get those 3 yards in 3 tries was worse to swallow than even the ST breakdowns. We have to fix that!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
2014 class needs to be 2018 when we have all r-SR at

Cheese , If a business lost the great majority of key sements due to retirement in a short period, the board of directors would have ceo on the carpet. Legacy planning is a key element in business so that u can plug and play.
We had minimal legacy in place at bb, ab, and wr.

I disagree that it is a lack of planning on CPJ's part. I think the injuries have exposed our lack of depth.

I can agree that we didn't recruit that well 3 and 4 years ago and don't have the depth. But I think that lack of recruiting prowess was more due to not winning (ok ,again CPJ fault) than lack of intent.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Was TaQuon Marshall hurt today or is there some other reason he didn't play? I may have missed something but I could've sworn I saw him out there when the team was warming up.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Was TaQuon Marshall hurt today or is there some other reason he didn't play? I may have missed something but I could've sworn I saw him out there when the team was warming up.
IIRC after getting a bit banged up last week, he was somewhere between ok and iffy for yesterday. I don't think he was 100%, but idk the exact reasoning for him not playing.

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
Injuries, ejection, departures, bad karma....whatever. Our depth has taken a beating. Help me out with a list of folks that have missed time so far this season. Maybe talking about it will get it out of our system....

Qua
Snoddy
Gamble
Byerly
Taquon
Quaide
Summers

Gotsis

Harrell
Andrews

Who am I missing? Did Milton get hurt on Saturday? Did AJ Gray play any?

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
Mostly offense too. By my count 4 AB's and 2 BB's, and those two positions lost all significant players from last year.

Add CJ Leggett, Nathan Cottrell, Chris Griffin.