Georgia Tech Headed to the TaxSlayer Bowl

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it is weird when old bowls fall and new bowls rise. I remember being befuddled by the rise of the Fiesta Bowl and the fall of the Cotton Bowl 20 years ago. But like any business or charity or other organization, the bowls are run by people who sometimes do a good job and sometimes do a bad job. If they do a bad job long enough (in sponsorship, and ticket sales, and match-ups, and whatever) they eventually fall down the pecking order (or disappear altogether). Still, for traditionalists like me, there's always something special about the 'old' bowls – the bowls that once didn't have commercial names.

Remember when the old bowls with traditional names would look down their noses at the new bowls with commercial names? The Gator Bowl used to make fun of the GoDaddy.com Bowl and so forth. Thank heavens the powers that be forced the Peach Bowl to go back to the Peach Bowl. I wish the other bowls would realize that de-commercializing their names might add more commercial value to the long-term viability of their bowls than selling out for the highest immediate pay-day.
It's purely business, fellas. When the NY Yankees and Chicago Cubs own bowls, there is a message there. Money to be made.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
UK averages giving up 225 RUSH YARDS PER GAME??

We need to get stats on what our opponents gave up to us vs. their rush defense average against everyone besides us.

We could see a Kansas-like performance on O...

I have a particular interest and perspective on this game, as Kentucky is my "second" team (I was born in Lexington). I was really hoping they would not get matched up together, but here we are. I will definitely be pulling for Tech in this one, but have watched every Kentucky game this year and am also a fan.

Like us, they are pretty good, but not great. In truth, they are built very similarly to us. They have a very solid offense that is largely based on the run (Williams and Snell both went over 1,000 yds this season and are a really good 1-2 punch). At times, they have simply lined up a running back behind center and run the wildcat offense with pretty good effect. They have a mobile QB (Stephen Johnson) that was a transfer and has only gotten better as the year has progressed (became the starter in week 3 when Drew Barker was knocked out for the season). Johnson is not a great passer, but has proven to be very effective over and over again hitting big passes on play-action (sound familiar?). They have used the wildcat formation less and less as Johnson has become more comfortable (Johnson can also be turnover prone).

Their defense is not great, but has improved as the season has progressed (really once Stoops got more personally involved with the D mid-season after a bad start). Their linebackers and depth have been a particular concern (sound familiar?). They usually rely on their O to get the job done, with their D making just enough stops/turnovers (you get the idea). I just see them as very similar teams at this point in the season.

Georgia is an interesting analysis, as both teams played UGA late in the season and UGA is also a run-heavy team. Against UGA:
UK gave up 27 points on 460 yards -- 245 passing (7.9 ypp), 215 rushing (5.1 ypr)
Tech gave up 27 points on 402 yards -- 139 passing (5.0 ypp), 263 rushing (6.3 ypr)

That does not immediately lead me to anticipate a "Kansas-like performance on O." And, remember, Stoops obviously has experience coaching D against us when he was at FSU.

I think CPJ is the better coach but, to be fair, we have struggled a bit in bowl games during his regime. In the end, I think the line of 3.5 to Tech sounds about right, but expect this to be a very close one with both sides hitting some big plays.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... again... Thanks ACC...
"Georgia Tech can anticipate playing in a road environment when it plays its ACC opener against North Carolina Dec. 31 at McCamish Pavilion."
Link

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
I know the players like the Taxslayer Bowl. A lot of them were looking forward to the Pinstripe Bowl and spending time in NYC, but Taxslayer and Sun were high on their list.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Screenshot_2016-12-05-16-59-25.jpg
do they even have this many football fans?
Lol.
Remind them it's football and not basketball!

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
Good lord, I hope we don't lose someone like Mills for the bowl game after finals. Kentucky is talking some mad trash about how they're going to roll us and whatever. I hope this turns into the Vandy game 2.0

http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/kentucky-vs-georgia-tech--taxslayer-bowl/67445451/
After reading that thread, I was much more annoyed by the mad trash that our fans were posting. The UK fans started off being fairly reasonable until a couple of GT fans started antagonizing things. I am all for friendly banter, but the Tech fans on that site were doing some serious trolling.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 2086 do they even have this many football fans?
Lol.
Remind them it's football and not basketball!

Not sure I believe these "attendance" figures but, according to the official NCAA statistics, UK averaged about 61k attendance in 2015, while Tech averaged about 51k (I am sure both are inflated). LINK For further comparison, ESPN has the UK v. Vandy attendance this year at 55k, while the GT v. Vandy attendance was 42k.

UK football fans are a real thing. They are not like Duke. Kentucky fans do actually care about football, a lot actually (they are just not good at it : ) In general, I think you will find they are a good football fan base that is just happy to go bowling. They certainly have some turds, but so do all fan bases. I think Tech fans and UK fans will actually get along well (at least before toe meets leather : ). Hey, who doesn't like bourbon?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow! First ACC game and at home, yet a Bowl Game...

What group of idjits planned ACC basketball for 12/31 or 1/1???

Someone who didn't want people watching our basketball team?

Anyway, can Marshall play @ BB since the game is still this year? Or is he gone for the bowl game?

11AM? CPJ has to be happy with that. But it's a bowl and after last year I won't ***** at all about the time.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Someone who didn't want people watching our basketball team?

Anyway, can Marshall play @ BB since the game is still this year? Or is he gone for the bowl game?

11AM? CPJ has to be happy with that. But it's a bowl and after last year I won't ***** at all about the time.

Believe he is gone. He no longer wants to play for GT. Next man up.