Georgia Tech Headed to the TaxSlayer Bowl

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
My wife and I plan on going! It will be my 2nd gator bowl. I watched GT have a terrible game against Miami in 1999. Hopefully history will not repeat itself.

From what I can tell, Tech will be sitting on the East side. I would not order tickets through ramblinwreck.com. You can get much cheaper seats at other sites.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Most fans (like me) don't understand the whole "Tier 1" or "Tier 2" bowl game hierarchy, but we do think that New Year's Eve Day Bowls are a big deal.

There are only four bowl games on New Year's Eve (a Saturday this year) and two of those are for the NCAA Championship playoffs:

Buffalo Wild Wings/Citrus Bowl (20) LSU vs. (13) Louisville 11am / ABC
TaxSlayer (Gator) Bowl GA Tech vs. Kentucky 11am / ESPN
Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (4) Washington vs. (1) Alabama 3pm / ESPN
PlayStation/Fiesta Bowl (3) Ohio State vs. (2) Clemson 7pm / ESPN

GT is the lead-off game on ESPN before the two Championship play-off games and there will be a lot of eyes on us. We won a lot of national recognition, respect, and casual fans for whipping MSU in the Orange Bowl two years ago. Those nationwide "sidewalk fans" haven't gone away, they just haven't heard from us in a while.

Beating Kentucky gives us as many wins over SEC teams as almost half of the SEC.

ACC plays in 3 of the 4 New Year's Eve bowls: two vs SEC teams and one in the Championship Play-offs. There is an opportunity for the ACC to make a really big statement here.

Admittedly, there is some risk to losing (for us and the ACC) but IMO the opportunity outweighs the risk.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
T
My wife and I plan on going! It will be my 2nd gator bowl. I watched GT have a terrible game against Miami in 1999. Hopefully history will not repeat itself.

From what I can tell, Tech will be sitting on the East side. I would not order tickets through ramblinwreck.com. You can get much cheaper seats at other sites.
That was 2000. 99 was Notre Dame. I was at both as a teenager.

Most fans (like me) don't understand the whole "Tier 1" or "Tier 2" bowl game hierarchy, but we do think that New Year's Eve Day Bowls are a big deal.

There are only four bowl games on New Year's Eve (a Saturday this year) and two of those are for the NCAA Championship playoffs:

Buffalo Wild Wings/Citrus Bowl (20) LSU vs. (13) Louisville 11am / ABC
TaxSlayer (Gator) Bowl GA Tech vs. Kentucky 11am / ESPN
Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (4) Washington vs. (1) Alabama 3pm / ESPN
PlayStation/Fiesta Bowl (3) Ohio State vs. (2) Clemson 7pm / ESPN

GT is the lead-off game on ESPN before the two Championship play-off games and there will be a lot of eyes on us. We won a lot of national recognition, respect, and casual fans for whipping MSU in the Orange Bowl two years ago. Those nationwide "sidewalk fans" haven't gone away, they just haven't heard from us in a while.

Beating Kentucky gives us as many wins over SEC teams as almost half of the SEC.

ACC plays in 3 of the 4 New Year's Eve bowls: two vs SEC teams and one in the Championship Play-offs. There is an opportunity for the ACC to make a really big statement here.

Admittedly, there is some risk to losing (for us and the ACC) but IMO the opportunity outweighs the risk.
No complaints about the Saturday games, especially ours, but why they hell is the Orange Bowl, one of the 4 ORIGINAL New Years Bowls on Friday, instead of Saturday?

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
No complaints about the Saturday games, especially ours, but why they hell is the Orange Bowl, one of the 4 ORIGINAL New Years Bowls on Friday, instead of Saturday?
Great question. Seems disgraceful. I'm not knowledgeable about these things but would guess that ESPN expects greater viewership for the Orange Bowl on Friday night 8pm rather than showing it on Saturday at 11am... Just goes to show you who really runs college sports.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

I understand what you are saying, but not ordering tickets from the school really puts us in a bad light. This one time per year (hopefully) it is kind of important to support the GTAA.

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
Does anyone have any idea what the sponsorship money differential was between "the Taxslayer Gator Bowl" and just "the Taxslayer Bowl"?