Georgia Tech Head Coach Hot List

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
We have the money, all you emotionally scarred GT fans are going to have to grow up. We are trying to improve and play with the bigger boys. It will take some time, but I fully support Cabrera and Batt.

They are making good decisions and the money people are backing them.

Kelsey would be my number 1, and the KSU coach would be number 2.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
My daughter goes to KSU and relayed a story of what Amir had to overcome when he first got the job. He called the first practice and 1or more players asked if practice was mandatory. I’m not saying he would be GTs best choice or, if hired he would have to change a culture that bad. What I am saying is I’m impressed that he took over a program like that and turned them into winners in a relatively short period of time.

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
You can be a really good coach and unstable. Those are not mutually exclusive. See Bobby Knight.

His rant on gun violence, his behavior in games, his dealing with UMass are red flags to me and signals of an unstable person.
Ok. He’s not unstable either.

Again, I’ve watched him for years. You’re looking for something that isn’t there. His heart was tied to Winthrop and he didn’t want to go. He’s a passionate, firey coach. He is what he is. None of it adds up to “unstable.”

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Bob Richey, 39, Furman:

SeasonSchoolConfGWLW-L%SRSSOSAP PreAP HighAP FinalNotesAdjusted
2017-18FurmanSouthern332310.6974.43-3.64
2018-19FurmanSouthern33258.7587.46-1.5023
2019-20FurmanSouthern32257.7816.79-1.55
2020-21FurmanSouthern25169.6405.99-1.69
2021-22FurmanSouthern342212.6476.20-1.44
2022-23FurmanSouthern34277.7945.14-3.87Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion
CareerFurman19113853.7236.00-2.28

Seems a good regional fit for the ACC. The Paladins are in The Show, having won the SouCon Tournament, after missing out last year on a shot at the buzzer.

I wonder if Tech may have already lined him up as HC, awaiting the Paladins finish in the NCAA tournament to announce it.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I dont think we should care about regional fits. And I think only ever being at Furman makes me a but uncomfortable with ol' Bob.

I dunno. Feels a little like a Brad Brownell-y hire.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok. He’s not unstable either.

Again, I’ve watched him for years. You’re looking for something that isn’t there. His heart was tied to Winthrop and he didn’t want to go. He’s a passionate, firey coach. He is what he is. None of it adds up to “unstable.”
Are you his therapist? Where is the line between a passionate, firey (sic) coach and someone who is potentially unstable? I do not know, but I am curious as to how you do.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Is there a link to the rant?
There is not, but it was widely reported at the time and it got him a follow up interview on CNN. I have no special insight to this man, but I have no desire to hire someone who may be a cross between Steve Kerr/Greg Popovich in political activism and Bobby Knight in demeanor. I mean just this week he just went after an opposing team coach for talking to his player when that player was talking trash to the other team's bench.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I dont think we should care about regional fits. And I think only ever being at Furman makes me a but uncomfortable with ol' Bob.

I dunno. Feels a little like a Brad Brownell-y hire.
Agree. Not big on fishing in the Furman like ponds.

We need someone that can attract quality players.

Just an alternate to a COC type guy. Would you take a guy with previous ast HC at small school but lots of assistant coach expierence at great P5 school? He would cost less, have to earn his stripes, be willing to go find quality assistants to attract and train recruits.

BATT did that when he hired Key, who hired lots of quality ast coaches and has an innovative oc.

Don't u think we need to get way more talent (players, ast coaches, office staff) and money pool before a real coach will come to take us to upper level.

A friend who is strong u of a guy says Batt found talent to quickly got the u of a bb going. I trust Batt to hire his guy and get him support staff to overcome any short comings. We are not buying the Baylor coach w our beer budget

Last edited:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, that is it. No, thank you.
Eddie Murphy What GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
My updated hotlist.

GUYS I WANT/WOULD BE COOL WITH HIRING:
Jerry Stackhouse
Pat Kelsey
Amir Abdur-Rahim
Bob Richey
Bob Marlin
Chris Mack
Johnny Dawkins
Ron Hunter

GUYS I WILL THROW MY TV OUT THE WINDOW IF WE HIRE:
Rick Pitino (after Ron Bell we don’t want a guy with baggage)
Gregg Marshall
Chris Beard

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
He’s done a solid job of rebuilding Vandy, and they’re on the bubble this year. (Currently 20-13 and 11-7 in conference play.) He’s a fairly young coach, former NBA player, and played for Dean Smith in college. He has a losing record but he came into a dire situation at Vandy. Slowly he’s built them up and they beat Kentucky last night and are in the SEC semifinals. Idk if we could land him since he’s already at a decently big school but of all the P6 schools Vandy probably is the easiest we can poach from.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This list seems to be a mix of reality and an attempt at doing a puzzle. It's surprisingly not terrible, but there's one pick that makes sense, but also doesn't make sense. They do label it speculating, at least.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Assume this is what you are talking about:

Doesn’t seem that unstable for a guy with two little girls to have an opinion about 20 little kids getting murdered at an elementary school.

Don't see a problem with the comments he made. I agree "things have to change" when it comes to violence.
Note that I own guns as do my kids, who are adults, in other family members. Members. Part of our societal problem is letting folks off the hook with a slap on the wrist, and not enforcing the laws that we currently have. I don't believe we need "more laws" per se regarding guns. I've already gone too deep down this rabbit hole and will stop now.