Georgia Tech Head Coach Hot List

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
You can be a really good coach and unstable. Those are not mutually exclusive. See Bobby Knight.

His rant on gun violence, his behavior in games, his dealing with UMass are red flags to me and signals of an unstable person.
The umass thing doesn’t bother me. Cremins did the same thing. The school shooting speech also doesn’t bother me, and I’m a southerner with lots of guns for hunting, but there is something wrong when elementary school kids are being massacred all the time at school. The on court stuff I don’t know anything about, but that might actually bother me. We don’t want a Danny Hurley type (psycho).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Which coach out there has a good system (BB version of the FB option/air raid?) and is known for developing under the radar talent?

I dont think it works like that in cbb. The differences between coaches at this level are more nuanced.

Winning is the 'system' in cbb. We should key on someone that can navigate the waters in this cbb ecosystem (ATL recruiting scene + portal) and who can put talent in a position to win.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I find it very interesting that we don’t want to fish the Furman pond for the guy who wins tons of games but we are fine taking the KSU coach who has three total seasons and just one winning campaign. I mean the rebuild is impressive but Furman was a bad program prior to Niko Medved and Richey has sustained that high level during his tenure.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I dont think it works like that in cbb. The differences between coaches at this level are more nuanced.

Winning is the 'system' in cbb. We should key on someone that can navigate the waters in this cbb ecosystem (ATL recruiting scene + portal) and who can put talent in a position to win.
Some coaches like Bennett at UVA clearly have a system that works. Others don't but are successful. Either way the coach needs to match his players to his system. CJP struggled with that aspect of coaching.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I find it very interesting that we don’t want to fish the Furman pond for the guy who wins tons of games but we are fine taking the KSU coach who has three total seasons and just one winning campaign. I mean the rebuild is impressive but Furman was a bad program prior to Niko Medved and Richey has sustained that high level during his tenure.
I like both.

slugboy

Staff member

Porter Moser had his scheme at Loyola Chicago before Oklahoma called. I think of UVA and FSU as having a scheme that players fit (but they recruit well).
Maybe Purdue?

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I think I’m on the Richey bandwagon at this point.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Some coaches like Bennett at UVA clearly have a system that works. Others don't but are successful. Either way the coach needs to match his players to his system. CJP struggled with that aspect of coaching.

Porter Moser had his scheme at Loyola Chicago before Oklahoma called. I think of UVA and FSU as having a scheme that players fit (but they recruit well).
Maybe Purdue?

Allow me to elaborate as, clearly, every coach has a system. Some more defined than others.

I was suggesting no one has a system that is considered as extreme as the air raid or option is to "mainstream" cfb.

There's no Mike Dantoni-esque aberrant operator in cbb, imho.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm ok with both. One is riskier but has a much higher ceiling which is intriguing to many fans. Especially since the fans' careers are not on the line.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
So, let me try this again.

First, let's say for the sake of argument that Kelsey flip flopping between Winthrop and UMass is the same as Cremins changing his mind between Tech and South Carolina, which I do not think is all that similar, as it was not between his alma mater and a program that he raised to the highest levels of success. Especially, since he left for CoC a few year later.

Second, I will ignore the hyperbolic "all the time", the insipid "empathetic human" and the straw man that people are arguing guns are more important than children's lives and agree that he can have and express an opinion in public about a national tragedy and political issue.

It was asked why people have a problem with Kelsey. I shared three things when combined together give me the impression that he is a person who is not in full control of his emotions and acts spontaneously in a reckless manner. Yes, each one taken by itself can be explained and would not be a red flag. However, the combination gives me pause and would prefer not to have a coach who might blow up or melt down right before our eyes.

I have no evidence or insight. I just have an opinion based on several observations.

Flame away.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Good listen on Bob Richey, following Furman winning the SoCon title.

If May is off the table, then I would prefer Richey. Here is an article about him that is a few years old, but speaks to his ability to recruit, connect with players, develop them, and be a calm and positive voice in the locker room.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
One person I've only seen on one list is Mark Byington (https://www.coachesdatabase.com/lets-speculate-georgia-tech-head-basketball-coach-candidates/) . He was an assistant under Cremins at COC, taking over as interim when BC retired. I know he hasn't taken any of his teams to NCAA at this point, though he has improved them. Also has GA ties, as HC at GS. I do like most of the candidates I have seen mentioned overall. I feel we do best when we get coaches from smaller schools as BC from App St and PH from Sienna (taking us to FF and recruiting were awesome, obviously couldn't sustain). Though in last search I wanted Jeff Capel over JP.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, that is it. No, thank you.
I'm not advocating for him or against him, but what about that clip did you find offensive or unstable? I heard him call for leadership of all manners to be instruments of change after a tragic (and potentially avoidable) event occurred. I know, being from Connecticut and having small children at the time, it hit me right in the gut too.